Installing Magic Lantern on my 1100D

Started by josiahsprague, April 18, 2013, 05:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josiahsprague

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so I appologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place, or if this has already been answered. I searched through the forums for about an hour and I didn't find any clear answers to these questions;

How do I install ML on my 1100D?
I'm assuming that I have to use one of the development or nightly builds, is that correct? I did some searching, and the download links weren't exactly clear. Can someone point me to exactly where I can get the most stable version of ML for the 1100D? (I realize it's a beta with a lot of risks).

I'm assuming I can use the install guide to get me pointed in the right direction to install this. I'm a web developer, so I'm comfortable enough with code to figure out a few kinks along the way. Two things I was hoping to clarify, 1) All of the files in the ML download should just be unzipped straight to the root, not put inside of an ML folder at the root? That's what seems to be indicated, just clarifying. 2) When the guide says to Launch the Firmware update process, is this done from the Canon menu once the card has been inserted? That wasn't clear in the guide.

Will ML give me more options for video frame rate and resolution?
Right now I've only got 1280x720 and 30fps or 25fps. I realize there are physical limits to the camera, but I'm just wondering if I can expect any more options in this area? I'm specifically wondering if there are any options for 1080p, 24fps or 60fps. Again, I understand that this may just be wishful thinking.

Are most situations with bricking the camera easy to resolve?
Again, I realize there's a risk and that my results my be unpredictable, but I'm just curious what kind of headache I might find myself in if I do accidentally brick the camera during install.

Thanks for your patience. Looking forward to your responses!

nanomad

I would hold off from the 1100D installer for a couple of days until I re-check the installer (got a few reports of it not working properly)

Anyway,
- There isn't a "most stable" version. The nightly builds are all you have. The code is usually untested
- Yes, everything goes in the root (but don't mess with the folder structure that the zip makes)
- Yes, you run the firmware upgrade from the canon menu
- You get the options to shoot at lower FPS (it's stable to 1FPS or so, maybe even less) . That's it. Keep in mind you have to record at least 1 second of actual footage for the camera to save it.
- No new resolutions
- Unbricking could be hard or easy, it depends on the case. As long as it's software-related a dev may be able to help you out but that's not guaranteed. We are not Canon, after all.

Also: you need a card reader.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

josiahsprague

Thanks for the info. It was very helpful. Pretty much what I expected, though I was really hopeful that I could squeeze 60fps out of this camera. I'll wait a couple of days and give it a shot. Thanks again!