Using Magic Lantern for Video Shoot - Suggestions?

Started by engelba, April 02, 2015, 09:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engelba

So I've read through reams and reams of messages on the boards here (and elsewhere) and was curious to get some opinions on this.

I have 600D (T3i) with the near latest ML nightly build on it.

I am shooting a concert (small venue) and will not be recording audio through the camera (external). The camera will be fixed on a tripod. It is a low lighting, not a lot of motion; kind of scenario.

I am debating whether I should shoot h.264 with a CBR setting of something like 1.5 or shoot RAW (940x??) with a 10mm lens in 3X crop mode.

The primary attraction of shooting raw is the increased dynamic range (given the low light conditions) at the sacrifice of resolution versus higher res/low DR with h.264. I suspect the ISO will need be around 3200 to get decent exposure.

BTW I am aware of the 29:59 limit I will hit (provided the SD is formatted ex-fat of course).

Any recommendations?

Thanks....

rbrune

Be aware that when you shoot raw with the 600D the max resolution you will get with 16:9 is 960x540 with 24p (that is 20.8MB/s which is at the limit of the SD card interface).
And on top of that the effective crop factor in 3x crop mode will be ~8.75x - with out the 3x crop mode you will get an effective crop of ~2.92x. (that is due to the fact that you only use a subset of the sensor width due to the low resolution selected).

Walter Schulz