Cannot access CF card from computer

Started by rawfa, April 02, 2013, 12:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawfa

Hi guys,

I´m trying to install Magic Lantern on my MarkII and it needs to be done from the Compact Flash memory card via memory card reader. I´ve bought a memory card reader today and when I tried to read from the 32gb CF memory card it said it needed to be formated but it shows only like 20GB. I went to windows´ disk management where I could see the CF card was unallocated. When I´ve tried allocating it without formating it the system told me "Data error (cyclic redundancy error)". Also, when I try to format it it won´t allow me the option to use FAT.
     I´ve put the card back in the MarkII and it reads it perfectly (and finds 29GB memory space).

Any thoughts?

Francis

rawfa

I did it 3 times. I think it might be the card reader that is not working properly.
Is there anyway to copy ML to the root folder using the MarkII as a mass storage?

Francis

No way to copy straight to the camera. If you have any doubts about the reader you should ditch it and get another. You're bound to run into corrupted files and other issues over time and the camera is a poor reader in itself.

rawfa

It turns out the memory card reader was defective. I´ve exchanged it for a new one an all is well :)