First time with 5D3 and ML...

Started by Cave_dweller, February 14, 2015, 03:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cave_dweller

I've just bought a new 5D3 as a nice upgrade from a 550D. I get it delivered next week but I'm already looking to use ML with it after having years of success with ML on my 550D :D Basically I'm needing a few tips.

I want to do a lot of video with it and just wondering what's the best settings I should use and what sort of CF card should I be looking for? Preferably I want to be shooting around 50-60fps. I read somewhere that 1080p isn't possible at 50-60fps with the 5D3 so I'd have to shoot it at a lower res then do something in after effects? I have no idea lol. If that is the case will the video filmed using ML at a lower res look better than the 5D3's original at 1080p and 24fps?

Are there any idiots guides to the 5D3's video settings and functions?

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for everything I'll need to run ML on my 5D3 successfully, and also the latest build?

Many thanks, sorry for the dumb questions. It's been a few years since I was on here last and I don't have any experience with a 5D3 yet. Counting the days till I receive it  :D

Cave_dweller

I also can;t seem to find any stable releases. I'm pretty sure there were the last time I was on here because I remember donwloading it for my 550D instead of a nightly build.

Are there any stable releases for the 5D mkiii or is it just a nightly build that works good?

Walter Schulz

Old "stable ML" is no longer supported and considered outdated. And "stable" doesn't run with 5D3.
Dev team changened release model to "rolling release".

You have to choose which firmware you use with 5D3. At time of writing there are some indications 1.1.3 offers higher data rates.

Cave_dweller

Ah ok, thanks. so out of the two downloads for the 5D3 you would suggest the 1.1.3?

Walter Schulz

My advice? Start with 1.2.3 and learn to master your workflow processing MLV/RAW.

Installation procedure for 1.1.3 requires updating to 1.2.3 (no kidding!) and this procedure might cause headaches.

DeafEyeJedi

If budgets limited. Go with a cheap decent fast CF card.

I've got few CF 32GB Sandisk ExP's, few CF 32GB LEXUS 1000x's along with a few SD 32GB Sandisk ExP's and a decent CF KB 128GB 1066x.

However, regarding CHEAP DECENT FAST CF card: KB 128GB 1066x may be the one you want since you want slo-mo's.

These ROCK my socks and have been serving me well so far for the past 5-6 months.

Good luck!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109