Nightly Build Versions

Started by asbissonnette, September 26, 2013, 07:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asbissonnette

Hey Everyone,
First time poster, long time reader. I have been scouring the forums in an attempt to avoid clogging them up with redundant questions and info because the problem is sort of a result of this. I am finding multiple links to places posted on different dates to where to DL the nightly builds. But I am already getting ahead of myself. Here is the problems I am encountering:

Camera: 5D MkIII
Card: Komputerbay 128gb (I know I should be using the 64gb cards, didn't see this until after buying, I have 2)
ML Version: Aug 21st

My main question: What is the most stable 5d Mkiii version out right now? Even if it is older and lacks some features, I just want to try and avoid some of the problems I encountered (described below). I have found multiple threads all stating that 'this thread is where to download the most up to date 5d nightly builds', but then the threads get convoluted with other camera versions and questions about the builds and link to other threads.

Another question: what are "Commits"? I'll see a link to download the ML software always accompanied by a "commit" link and I don't understand what it is? Can't find any info on it either. Do I need to do anything with the Commits?

Problems I have encountered:

• One of the cards seems fine, the other was working fine, but the last time I used it, it kept dropping frames every time I hit record. I realize this is probably the cards fault, I am going to try and exchange it for the 64gb card.
  • For about half of the clips I recorded, when trying to play back in camera, I get a "Footer Mismatch Error". The clip still seems to play back fine in camera. When I dump the card, the .RAW clips are accompanied by several .R00 or .R01 files. I assume these are the ones w/Footer Mismatch error. When I drop the .RAW clips onto Raw2DNG it gives me the "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" error. The other person I am working with found a workaround to join the .R00 files, but I'd like to try and avoid this if possible. The workaround also has not worked for all the clips
  • Many of the clips have corrupted frames with pink and green bars going across the frame.
  • When operating, the camera would freeze up randomly

Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any more information I can provide.

dmilligan

A commit is another word for revision. It is a change to the source code. Developers make changes to the code locally and then "commit" those changes back to the online code repository (bitbucket.org) where all the ML code is tracked and stored (technically, since mercurial is distributed version control, a developer "commits" to his local repo, then "pulls" that commit to the online repo). If you click on one of those links you will see a page that describes all of the changes that were made to the code for that revision. Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control

bnvm

Problems I have encountered:

• For about half of the clips I recorded, when trying to play back in camera, I get a "Footer Mismatch Error". The clip still seems to play back fine in camera. When I dump the card, the .RAW clips are accompanied by several .R00 or .R01 files. I assume these are the ones w/Footer Mismatch error. When I drop the .RAW clips onto Raw2DNG it gives me the "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" error. The other person I am working with found a workaround to join the .R00 files, but I'd like to try and avoid this if possible. The workaround also has not worked for all the clips

I am not sure about the rest of your questions, I use a MKII and everything has been fine for me. Those .R00 ... files are parts of a single raw recorded file. Basically the memory card in you camera cannot have a file larger than 4GB on it (it is a limitation of the fat32 file system). To get around this limitation ML splits a recording into pieces that are less than 4GB.

The footer mismatch error is caused by the raw file that you are playing back missing its trailing header data, this is due to the splitting of files and it is located on the last .R file for that recording. I think you can ignore that error.

The work around you speak of is not a work around. The files must be joined back together, that is what you want anyway since they are from the same recording. So it in not something you want to avoid and is part of the process of working with raw.

The this aint a lv_rec file is triggered by the raw file missing its trailing header info, this is either because the file split and has not been re-joined or it was not written due to a full card, battery died, turned off camera too quickly, etc... If it is due to the split files they need to be joined like I mentioned before if not there is a topic in the post processing section of the forums on how to repair the file.

asbissonnette

Thanks for clarifying all of that. Very helpful! I assumed that is what the commits were, but wanted to be sure.

Can anyone recommend a version that is somewhat stable and show me a link? Thanks again!

pascal

Quote from: asbissonnette on September 26, 2013, 07:48:06 PM
  • Many of the clips have corrupted frames with pink and green bars going across the frame.
  • When operating, the camera would freeze up randomly
This does not sound too good. I have the same version on same camera installed but none of these issues. Try reinstall ML and reset ML settings maybe.

RenatoPhoto

Most likely suspect is the cards.  Do a benchmark and compare with others posted here. 
Use a different make card to compare results.
Use more recent builds from: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/  If you do, make sure you delete the old stuff (ML directory), new builds have new fonts and many new changes.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X