More 50D raw video - To grade or not to grade

Started by Andy600, August 26, 2013, 02:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Some raw video tests shot on my 50D with an Auto Revuenon 50mm F1.4

I've uploaded the 1080p H.264 version (that Vimeo re-encoded to 720p) if anyone wants to see the full resolution video (500MB) we.tl/wKhNyBjCD7

Some 1080p frame grabs so you can see the difference in quality: imgbox.com/g/IKS6mQOvec

The first half of the video is the raw footage that I colour corrected in Rawtherapee (as it has better control over debayering) and output as 8-bit Jpegs. Only +8 - +11 sharpness was added in Premier Pro. (Used BATCHelor to convert raw to DNG). I would have output higher bitrate files but I felt it wasn't needed for this test.

The second half is graded using tone mapping and then I added some Film Convert Pro (Velvia +35% Super 35mm Film noise 30 - 50%) - Yes I know I wrote Flim instead of Film LOL!

Notes: I wanted to test my new (but old) lens, an Auto Revuenon 50mm F1.4. I shot between F2.0 and F11 in the late evening. The sun was going down and already behind the buildings but I got some nice gold reflections for the early portrait shots that show in the graded part of the video. I could have used a reflector to balance the light a bit but this was a quick test. The lens performed great and easily beats my Nikon 50's.

I shot everything in 2.35:1 ratio in both crop and non-crop raw video modes. If you can see aliasing in some shots that'll be the non-crop mode video.

Non-crop resolution was 1584 x 674
Crop resolution used was 2000 x 852

Up/downscaled in post to 1080p

For the grade I wanted to try out tone mapping to bring out some detail without excessive sharpening and I'm also trialing Film Convert Pro. I like it so far but it's easy to overdo it.

Oh, for those interested I shot using my own build of 1%'s Tragic Lantern 2.0 (Aug 19th) - although the video says 17th - doh!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

N/A

Damn nice quality. Beautiful test subject as well. Those sharpened shots really shined.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Andy600

Quote from: N/A on August 26, 2013, 05:30:23 AM
Damn nice quality. Beautiful test subject as well. Those sharpened shots really shined.

Thanks N/A. I appreciate your comment a lot. I'm still learning  :)

I've uploaded the 1080p H.264 version (that Vimeo re-encoded to 720p) if anyone wants to see the full resolution video (500MB) we.tl/wKhNyBjCD7
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com