5d Mark III RAW - am I shooting 30 or 24 fps initially?

Started by nawi, January 17, 2014, 08:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nawi

Do you guys know what is the initial frame rate when recording RAW and having no FPS override selected (with 24FPS in Canon menu)? I'm not sure if I missed something, but After Effects workflow somehow always gives me 30 fps.

After I couldn't sync RAW image with audio, I've selected FPS override to 23.976, also tried 24 FPS. RAWMagic shows 23.976 when converting, but after bringing image sequence to After Effects it always shows 30 fps. So if I use 23.976 composition, image plays too fast. To get a normal speed out of After Effects I need to make the comp a 30fps one and then in FCPX conform the footage to 24fps. That can't be right.

On the Resolve workflow on the other hand image comes just fine (23.976). Still as the frames weight a lot, I would rather record 24fps and save megabytes on the 6 frames I don't need (or do I actually record 23.976 but After Effects gets it wrong?). The way I select FPS override is movie--> FPS override --> Q --> desired fps set to 23.976/24.

Any help on that would be really appreciated!

Danne

You set after effects fps yourself. Or you drag your sequence import on the comp symbol and it will create your comp.
Your camera records raw to what setting you have in camera. Not when zoomed in. Then default is 29.97. Change in ml menu fps override

nawi

This is what I mean:

Compositions are 23.976, but the dng sequences (although fps override to 23.976 was selected when shooting) show 30fps. I can interpret footage to 23.976 in AE, but why does it show 30 fps in the first place?

Danne

Top left "After effects" - "preferences" - "import" Change "sequence footage" to whatever you like. After effects do exactly what you tell it to do.

nawi