H264 Custom pixel aspect ratio?

Started by bnvm, January 24, 2014, 06:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnvm

I was wondering if it could be possible to override the pixel aspect ratio of an h264 recording? This would be awesome for anamorphics to be able to view the movies correctly with out having to post process them. It seems very silly to me to have to run the videos through an video editing app to ultimately make a change  that could easily be changed with a single modification to the file header(I suspect). Even if this isn't possible in camera a simple stand alone program to make the change would be great. Thanks.

Audionut

mkvtoolnix will let you set the DAR.

Not sure for MP4.

bnvm

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't appear to work on mov files.

ItsMeLenny

you could probably use FFMPEG or AVCONV
or maybe avidemux does it http://avidemux.berlios.de/

bnvm

Thanks I believe I looked into those. The problem I am getting is that none of them seem to work with mov files, the ones already listed seem to only work with mkv, mpg, mp4, or avi. So far I would need to convert from mov to another format and that defeats the whole purpose as I might as well just fix the aspect ratio at the same time. Thanks for the suggestions though.

ItsMeLenny

mov is just a container, and it does support mov as a container.
you'd go something like;

avconv -i [input_file] -vcodec copy -acodec copy -aspect 16:9 ./outpulfilename.mov

change aspect to what you want: set aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 or 1.3333, 1.7777) (OR other aspects, those are just examples of how to lay out the aspect).

if you don't have avconv, use ffmpeg and equivalent commands, but I think all commands are the same

Audionut

Quote from: bnvm on January 30, 2014, 10:32:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't appear to work on mov files.