5D Mark III RAW video and time-lapse of New Zealand's South Island

Started by nathankaso, January 13, 2014, 05:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathankaso

Shot around the South Island of New Zealand over three weeks, The Waters of Greenstone explores the ever changing landscapes of the Catlins Forest Park, Fiordland NP, Mount Aspiring NP, Mount Cook NP and Arthurs Pass NP and Castle Hill Reserve.

Timelapse sequences were shot on the Canon 5D Mark III and include use of the Emotimo TB3 Black motion control head. The video segments are a combination of 5D Mark III RAW video (using Magic Lantern firmware) and aerial photography from the DJI Phantom quadcopter with Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal and GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition.

Processing and editing was completed in Lightroom 5, LRTimelapse, After Effects and Premiere Pro CS6.

kgv5

Great work, congratulations! Really beautiful timelapses.
Great phantom shots, did you use 2,7K 30fps for that?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Zboubou

Very Beautyfull !!
Good job !
Wich lens do you use ?
Sincerly
--
Nick
5d mark 3, 24-105 L is, 70-200 L 2.8 L is, 50mm 1.4, zoom H2n, samyang 8mm "shaved", osx & win8. CF KB 64gB 1000x, CF Sandisk 64gB 95mBps,
usualy last nightly build installed...

nathankaso

Quote from: kgv5 on January 13, 2014, 07:58:01 AM
Great work, congratulations! Really beautiful timelapses.
Great phantom shots, did you use 2,7K 30fps for that?

Thanks! I shot in 2.7K at 25fps.

nathankaso

Quote from: Zboubou on January 13, 2014, 09:50:53 AM
Very Beautyfull !!
Good job !
Wich lens do you use ?
Sincerly
--
Nick

Thanks Nick! I used a Canon 17-40mm f/4L and 24-105mm f/4L

[email protected]

Very Nice Video I am realy impress the way the GoPro footage came out.

How did you handle your gopro footage? Did you edit it some how to loose some of the noise that the GoPro creates? Decompression?

DesterWallaboo

ptaylor999

Truly awesome piece. Beautiful and moving. And, great cinematography.

Do you mind if I ask at what resolution you shot your Magic Lantern footage? Is that 1080p? Or was it shot higher and then scaled down? I ask because your Canon shots are dead sharp, and I seem to be having problems with that while shooting ML Raw on the same camera. And also, at what resolution did you do your final render for Vimeo?

Any advice would be nifty.

Again, great work. Show it to Jackson while you're in the neighborhood. Maybe he'll hire you!

-- pat

Zao

Beautiful

I grew up on the West Coast. This vid reminds me of home!
5Dii/T3i & a few super taks

jafa

Sweet , love the shots of the rainfall and the rainbows simply beautiful.

xNiNELiVES

Wow, I'm going to be sharing this around with friends, absolutely amazing. Umm, where exactly did you shoot? I've been researching where Greenstone is but I'm guessing it is just a nick name. I know its the southern island of New Zealand but what region of that island are the opening first shots from. Especially the water falls... Thanks, and again great gob!

f-Stop Movies

Couple observations.

1. I want to go to New Zealand now because I didn't realize it's so beautify there. Might just be Amal charm.

2. What drone are you using?

3. I would pull out the shot around 4.09 where the drone kinda goes left-right-left-right really quick. I guess someone was nervous or had lots of coffee while on the stick. :) that the only thing that I didn't like.

Really awesome job. Felt like I was on a Lord of the Rings set.

PaulC

Unbelievable video. I lived on the South Island for 6 months and this just makes me want to go right back!
Canon EOS 60D - (Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Helios 44M 58mm f/2)

Jonkillz

Beautiful Video!!!!!   This is my first time on ML forum... I am a 5d MARK III user... I need help finding the correct download link for ML!!  can anyone link me up please  :)

Zao

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on March 23, 2014, 08:16:57 AM
...Umm, where exactly did you shoot? I've been researching where Greenstone is but I'm guessing it is just a nick name. I know its the southern island of New Zealand but what region of that island are the opening first shots from. Especially the water falls... Thanks, and again great gob!

Greenstone is found in rivers around Hokitika. The opening shots look like Fjiordland. Opening shot looks to be Mitre peak, behind the cloud. I'm guessing.
5Dii/T3i & a few super taks