CinemaDNG files with RAWmagic are blue and can't be use in Resolve...

Started by YKG, January 12, 2014, 05:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YKG

Hello all.

I'm testing a new workflow which is : Raw > RAWmagic to make cinedng > Resolve > FCP for the edit > Resolve > FCP for the finitions.
I think it will be much easier and faster for an Mac and FCP user. And and I want to learn how to use Resolve, it's the time for that with the raw from magic lantern now  ;)

But when I see my raw files trancoded by RAWmagic in cinedng files, they are blue with a lot of weird pixels, and Resolve can't be able to use it.

So I used raw2dng.app > ACR > Etc... and it works !
I've made a short test 5 months ago with this workflow, you can watch here :

But as I said, I really want to try RAWmagic + Resolve + FCP ; but it's have to work... I spent two days to try to understand !  :o

Does anyone have an idea why it don't works please ?
Thanks !

reddeercity

Are you using Final Cut Pro X or Final Cut Pro 7 ?
Are you using the latest DaVinci Resolve Lite 10.0.2 for Mac ?
As far as I know the round trip you want work with FCPX
there is a setting in resolve called  "Easy Roundtrip for FCPX"
Resolve>FCPX>Resolve
After you import your file in resolve and do the "Easy Roundtrip"
resolve will made a fcpxml plus a reference movie of the Cdng's to import to FCPX.
Save the changes with the same fcpxml to be import back to resolve.
That's the basics of it. Others on the form may have additional information on this this subject.
I hope this helps . :)

Edit: just reading the documentations for Resolve and Yes there is support for FCP 7 xmls.
but I don't know if the easy round trip works the same.

YKG

Quote from: reddeercity on January 12, 2014, 06:49:26 AM
Are you using Final Cut Pro X or Final Cut Pro 7 ?
Are you using the latest DaVinci Resolve Lite 10.0.2 for Mac ?
As far as I know the round trip you want work with FCPX
there is a setting in resolve called  "Easy Roundtrip for FCPX"
Resolve>FCPX>Resolve
After you import your file in resolve and do the "Easy Roundtrip"
resolve will made a fcpxml plus a reference movie of the Cdng's to import to FCPX.
Save the changes with the same fcpxml to be import back to resolve.
That's the basics of it. Others on the form may have additional information on this this subject.
I hope this helps . :)

Hello.

I used habitually FCP 7, but I think that I have to use FCP X, ok ;)
And yes I'm using the last version of Resolve : Resolve Lite 10.0.2 for mac.

But my problem is before FCP X, the CinemaDNG files are corrupted by RAWmagic I think. I use RAWmagic from the Mac App Store.
And after I see my Cdng in Resolve, yes, but I can't have correct footage...

I have a Canon 60D by the way.

Do you know why RAWmagic makes my Cdng in blue with weird pixels ?

Thank you.

EDIT : cool it will works with FCP 7 ;) But as I said, it's before resolve, just after RAWmagic ;)

YKG

Maybe it's just because I have an iMac with just 8Go of system memory ?!!

In Resolve, it says me that my GPU memory is full...

EDIT : I don't think finally. Even I don't have a lot of system memory, I could see my true footages...

vickersdc

I used to shoot in raw (with 600D), then RAWMagic to give the DNG files, then import into Resolve. I also export proxies to FCP for editing, then back into Resolve before creating a 'master' that I would then import back into FCP for the finals - audio / music / titles. In fact, the very workflow I think that you mentioned.

There's some goo dnews, and some not so good news...

I updated from FCP 10.0.8 to FCP 10.1, and Apple 'improved' the XMLs to version 1.3... but Resolve doesn't like those, as it wants version 1.2. So XML files will need to be converted to version 1.2 first.

Why not just use Resolve for editing as well. It does it - perhaps not as easily as using FCP but it can be done, as well as all the audio stuff.

Right... now to the real point of your original question. The dots are hot / dead pixels (apparently) and I had the exact same trouble; in the end I stopped using raw! However, there is another way if you want to get rid of the dots and stick with shooting raw, and that is to use RAWTherapee to batch process the DNG files. You will end up with 16-bit TIF files instead, which take up more space, but Resolve is happy to import these and they can be graded without any real issues.

I use an iMac, 16GB RAM, Resolve 10 and FCP 10.1.

If you want any more information, let me know.
Farnham360: my personal video project for 2014... http://www.farnham360.co.uk
Learn the basics of Davinci Resolve 10 Lite by following the tutorials at http://www.davidvickers.co.uk
Twitter: @DVMediaPro

YKG

Quote from: vickersdc on January 12, 2014, 02:01:28 PM
I used to shoot in raw (with 600D), then RAWMagic to give the DNG files, then import into Resolve. I also export proxies to FCP for editing, then back into Resolve before creating a 'master' that I would then import back into FCP for the finals - audio / music / titles. In fact, the very workflow I think that you mentioned.

There's some goo dnews, and some not so good news...

I updated from FCP 10.0.8 to FCP 10.1, and Apple 'improved' the XMLs to version 1.3... but Resolve doesn't like those, as it wants version 1.2. So XML files will need to be converted to version 1.2 first.

Why not just use Resolve for editing as well. It does it - perhaps not as easily as using FCP but it can be done, as well as all the audio stuff.

Right... now to the real point of your original question. The dots are hot / dead pixels (apparently) and I had the exact same trouble; in the end I stopped using raw! However, there is another way if you want to get rid of the dots and stick with shooting raw, and that is to use RAWTherapee to batch process the DNG files. You will end up with 16-bit TIF files instead, which take up more space, but Resolve is happy to import these and they can be graded without any real issues.

I use an iMac, 16GB RAM, Resolve 10 and FCP 10.1.

If you want any more information, let me know.

Thank you for your informations vickersdc !

It's weird but I'm happy to see I'm not the only one to don't have true Cdng working correctly in Resolve !  :D

Today, I find the same solutions : it's to make TIFF for Resolve !... I did it with ACR. Now it's working with TIFF.
I will look with RAWTherapee as you said, maybe it will be faster than the process of ACR.

But my workflow is very low now.
I hope it will be much faster... With an other app maybe hehe  :)