Complete 5D3 Raw Musicvideo

Started by tristanhood, January 10, 2014, 02:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristanhood

Magic Lantern RULEZ!

we just did a complete musicvideo with magic lantern and i started from scratch without knowing how it will turn out.
we learned a lot from doing it. there was a awesome videovisual from Stefano Pasotti that we thought might be interesting to test how it works with magic lantern and from there on we added more and more to it. it was a really big learning curve and i will use magic lantern from now on - on every project. luve it!

i used the M31 LUTs from vision color. they are awesome as well.
thanks to all the developers on the magic lantern project - U GUYS REALLY ROCK!!

Jakobmen

really pretty.. i just got done with 2 music videos with ML raw also..
Canon 5D3

tristanhood

thank u!  :)

..so much we can do now in post.

i wish there is a better way to process the raw files in 1 step. like: raw processing inkl noise recuction (neat) plus LOG curve (visionLOG).  that would help a lot. it will come in the future - im pretty sure :)

Jakobmen

I use neat video in DaVinci Resolve & you can automatic any LOG curve you want in Resolve.. its just like a workflow for a RED camera
Canon 5D3

tristanhood

i used after effects for all that and also a script to automate the batch render process in afterfx. i really wanna try davinci resolve.
never had the time to find out how everything really works. i got it allready on my machine. thx jakobmen

jose_ugs

@tristanhood u did a damn good job! keep up!

tranKILL.be

Yep, well done !
It's beautifull

Hope I can approach that with my coming 6D (no raw full HD, that's why Canon fucked the SD card controller on it)
Peace, Unity, Love And Having Fun
---------------------------------------
Canon 500D + ML 2.3, Sigma 50mm 1.4 et Samyang 8mm 3.5 | 6D + Tragic.2014Jan18 on Transcend SDXC UHS-I 64Go (59,8Go-exFAT-128kilobytes)

Malcolm Debono

Great job! Love the choice of shots & grading.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

tristanhood

thank you guys. i apprecciate that.

some people on vimeo ask for a light and camera setup for the painted girl scene:

- canon 5d 3
- a magic lantern nightly build from dezember. dont know exactly wich one because i update by any chance a newer one - im pretty fearless :)
- canon 50 mm (the 100€ version) i used a streak filter on the 50 mm for a real lensflare (rare) found on a fleemarket.
- canon 24-105mm
- canon 70-300 mm
- 1x 400 watt black light (rent)
- 1x flashlight for the lensflare (sun)
- a styro to reflekt the blacklight
- strip lights from behind as little kicker
- camera crane (speccctra crane)

procesing:
1. raw magic to convert to dng
2. after effects for processing the dng files. use the visionLOG profile instead of the ADOBE standard profile in the raw processor. that makes the difference! u get a perfekt flat picture for all the vision LUTS.
3. neat video to reduce noise and resharpen
4. put the m31 LUT from vision color to it
5. using ONLY the grain from filmconvert onto the footage
6. export as prores444 to have a digital master
7. start editing in fcpx

i hope that helps. ask me anything u want.
if i dont know the answer, i will find it :)

bless

shotxero

Did you have to merge files ? I just shot a music video with ML and it won't let me concert to dng cause its to big. and i do not know how to merge them

tristanhood

use RAWMAGIC and put all the files onto it (inkl the zip files). Rawmagic merge them automatically. dont rename the zip files or try to open them. just drag & drop onto RawMagic. et voila.
your welcome

shotxero

I dragged and dropped and it saids the same thing. maybe i am misunderstanding. plz help! lol

tristanhood

mmh. at the beginning i had also problems because i didnt understand the way ML split the files. so i started to open the zip files. of course that didnt worked. so i thought the files are corrupt. then i start to read everything i could find in the forum. i find the solution. its simple: dont touch the files just put everything into rawmagic and it merge the files for you.

dont rename the files. dont unzip.

shotxero

what is you're personal email so i can send you screen shots of what it looks like for me. Thank you so much for you're help.

thomasridout

Quote from: tristanhood on January 11, 2014, 10:33:31 AM

use the visionLOG profile instead of the ADOBE standard profile in the raw processor. that makes the difference! u get a perfekt flat picture for all the vision LUTS.
3. neat video to reduce noise and resharpen

Can you please explain this vision LOG profile? Not sure how to do that. Much appreciated

Nvm i figured that out now going to learn about LUT's
www.thomasridout.com - www.twitter.com/thomasridout - www.facebook.com/thomasridout

Canon 5d mk ii - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 40mm 2.8 - Rokinon 14mm - 28-135mm IS - FD 70-210mm - FD 50mm 1.8

thomasridout

Did you buy the vision color LUT's? Cant seem to find a torrent
www.thomasridout.com - www.twitter.com/thomasridout - www.facebook.com/thomasridout

Canon 5d mk ii - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 40mm 2.8 - Rokinon 14mm - 28-135mm IS - FD 70-210mm - FD 50mm 1.8