Back up CF card without a laptop? With Ipad? Please help!

Started by king718, January 13, 2014, 04:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king718

Hey guys! I've been a lurker here for quite some time. I'm actually traveling to Indian this Wednesday for a whole month and needed some advice.

Basically I want to shoot some raw videos and I only have on 64gig cf card for my 5D Mark III. I can't afford to get another card because they are really expensive for the ones needed to shoot raw video. Given that raw files take a ton of space, I would need to move my files off of the cf card frequently to be able to shoot more footage. Now the problem is that I have a bag (Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 10 Backpack) that will not carry my big a$$ 17inch laptop. I really don't even want to be carrying it around much because I am worried about theft. I want to carry light.

So the solution I came up with is using my Ipad4, External Hard drive, Lightening to Usb adaptater and I just bought this mobile battery charger to power up the hard drive:

http://goo.gl/XxBr9y

Now I'm wondering if this even logical? How long do you guys think it would take to move my files from CF card to hard drive using an Ipad? I don't want to be sitting there for hours just moving files.

I know one option is to not shoot raw. Which I probably will not for the most part. I want to do a 50/50 type of situation. And I want to figure out the best solution for the time I do shoot raw. I want to be portable and somewhat discreet. I can't be doing that with a laptop in a country I've never been in. I will not be alone but still.

What do you guys think I should do? I can't really afford to spend any money at the moment as I have a lot going in to this trip as it is. Any help will be appreciated!

Audionut

Providing the ipad (not an Apple user here) can read the files from the camera or card reader it should work.  I doubt a usb hub would work, but an Apple user should be able to confirm this.

Quote from: king718 on January 13, 2014, 04:54:28 AM
I don't want to be sitting there for hours just moving files.

You should get at least USB2 speeds.  Doesn't sound like you have many other options, so you'll just have to deal with the time it takes.