16:9 Standard Definition video please!

Started by drmoreau, January 08, 2014, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmoreau

Being a wedding videographer I still deliver 95% of my weddings in SD (DVD) and it's a pain to work with larger HD files that take up more space and make render times longer. It would be incredibly helpful if I could shoot at 16:9 SD 30fps.

Is this possible? Thanks!

jose_ugs

Yes... of course. It's a pain to get continuous 1080p :)
720p is there and a whole lot of other res' as well...

dmilligan

Quote from: drmoreau on January 08, 2014, 06:00:32 PM
Being a wedding videographer I still deliver 95% of my weddings in SD (DVD) and it's a pain to work with larger HD files that take up more space and make render times longer. It would be incredibly helpful if I could shoot at 16:9 SD 30fps.

Is this possible? Thanks!

I assume you're talking about h.264 not raw? You also neglected to mention what camera.

I don't think there's any way to change the h.264 encoder to support custom resolutions, so you're stuck with the built-in 640x480 for SD. If file size is your concern, why not use 720p (w/ FPS override to 30) and drop the bitrate to the minimum?

Even though you're eventually going down to DVD quality, recording at a higher resolution and only dropping the resolution in the final render can be advantageous, and make a noticable difference in the quality of the DVD with proper sharpening and downsampling in post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

drmoreau

Yes, I love 1080p when it's called for, but smaller file sizes and longer record times as well as footage that is easier to work with in post would be nice.

I hadn't thought about 720p with a forced 30fps, that will probably work. I liked using 720p but the 60fps meant sacrificing low-light which in the wedding business is a no no.

drmoreau

Hmm, just tried settings fps to 30 while in 720p mode and all it seemed to do was make my video play back at 2x speed. Not sure what I did wrong there.

dmilligan

Playback is going to be wrong b/c the camera thinks it recorded at 60fps, for in camera preview you can use the slowmo button to get the right speed. When you edit you'll have to 'reconform' the footage to the correct FPS.

ItsMeLenny

You'd want to use 720p at its 50/60 fps so you can interlace it, as that's part of standard definition, it would give smoother playback.

dmilligan

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on January 09, 2014, 03:08:31 AM
You'd want to use 720p at its 50/60 fps so you can interlace it, as that's part of standard definition, it would give smoother playback.
but it would also double the data rate, which defeats the whole purpose, smaller files

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: dmilligan on January 09, 2014, 03:54:06 AM
but it would also double the data rate, which defeats the whole purpose, smaller files
I do not doubt that the slightest :P