Records of "bricked" 6Ds?

Started by philbird, January 07, 2014, 11:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbird

Hey Enthusiasts,

i read nearly the whole forum but i still have that big question.
Are there any records that TL or ML for 6D bricked the Camera?
And are there any Records that Canon actually DID refuse Warrenty on a TL/ML 6D?

I know that noone will give me garanty that it doesnt brick my camera. And thats perfectly fine.
And i know that noone can just guess what Canon will do, if they get a bootflagged camera for warrenty issues.

But i simply want to know, if anyone DID experienced a Camera that didnt work anymore after installing TL/ML?
And if anyone experienced that the cameara didnt work as usual AFTER they threw in a normal SD-Crad WITHOUT TL/ML.

I´m still a bit nervous about my 6D, cause its more valuable to me as my car;)

So can anyone help?

Greetings,
Phil

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

philbird

Yes,

i did, but i didnt find any bricked 6Ds...

Midphase

So doesn't that answer your question then?

I'm pretty sure if someone had bricked their camera they would have posted something by now.

ilguercio

Mine has been sitting quite alone lately, i've taken just a bunch of test pics and no real photos.
Does that count as bricking? ;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

mageye

I think that most people here on the Magic Lantern Forum value their cameras just as much as yourself. I know I do and I have been using Magic Lantern for some time and I would never look back. :)

The benefits by far outweigh any the negatives (which don't really exist!) ;)

(In my humble opinion and from my experience that is ???)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Marsu42

Quote from: philbird on January 07, 2014, 11:02:40 AM
I´m still a bit nervous about my 6D, cause its more valuable to me as my car;)

I can very much sympathize with this, my heart still stops every time the camera freezes :-o ... and with the current state of TL on the 6d, you very much likely *will* run into crashes freezing the camera so you have to take the battery out.

Since the ML codebase is stable, imho the risk of *bricking* is rather low in comparison to a few years back, esp. if you don't run bleeding edge features but just do the proven stuff that has been around for a while. Still, if you have doubts, don't install a pre-alpha at the moment, even if in the ML forum you'll of course get more opinions on how great it is.

philbird

Thanks a lot for your opinions and experiences!

That helps a lot.

Quote from: Marsu42 on January 09, 2014, 08:25:24 AM
if you don't run bleeding edge features but just do the proven stuff that has been around for a while.

Does Dual Iso count as proven stuff? Because this is what is absolutly tempting to me atm.
And one further question, does anyone have an IDEA (i noone really do know) when a "more stable" version will be released?

mageye

Stability is variable between various modules. As already mentioned things are now generally pretty stable. I think that you are maybe worried that your camera is going to go up in flames or something. Generally this doesn't happen.

NO LET ME BE STRAIGHT: - THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN!

In fact most of the time when people panic and think that ML has killed their cam it's usually something pretty trivial. Having followed many posts on here (I haven't read all of them), My general view is that Magic Lantern is actually pretty safe and generally stable. I know that there are some quirky things that can happen and sometimes it can be a little buggy with some things and other times it's me not knowing exactly how a function works.

Most of the time when the camera locks up (which does happen) you just remove the battery for a few seconds. There is plenty of information on the ML forums regarding all this.

To my knowledge (broad general statement I know) NO ONE HAS HAD A CAMERA DAMAGED AS A RESULT OF MAGIC LANTERN

Also (to my knowledge) most 'problems' are usually resolved.

At some point you have to weigh up the risks (if any) and just jump in and not be scared to experiment a little. Canon designed a pretty sturdy unit (the cameras) and I also have a lot of faith in the work that ML does too. Of course this is just my humble opinion. I hope you enjoy using Magic Lantern and get as much out of it as many people including myself have. :)

(disclaimer: please if someone has had something unfortunate that has happened directly as a result of ML please don't jump on me for this! I am just going from what I have read on here)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

philbird

Thanks alot for your opinion.

I just bought a card reader:)
Next week i´ll test it on a Nude Shooting.....i´ll let you know, what my experiences are!

ilguercio

Don't test it on the field straight away.
Give yourself some time to know what you are doing first.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

machinez

philbird,
If you are apprehensive, maybe you should reach out to a local magic lantern user and swap a like condition 6D already modified. Test it out and make sure it works for you.
I spent a couple hours with a local videographer who was struggling for months to get his 5d3 working on ML.
current 5D3/7D/50D/SL1/EOS-M/1D3/1DS2
former 6D/5D2/5Dc/1DS3/30D/T1I

tron

Quote from: ilguercio on January 09, 2014, 03:36:12 AM
Mine has been sitting quite alone lately, i've taken just a bunch of test pics and no real photos.
Does that count as bricking? ;)
Only temporarily  :) Plus you can use it as a temporary paperweight  ;D

tron

Quote from: philbird on January 10, 2014, 01:28:51 PM

Next week i´ll test it on a Nude Shooting.....i´ll let you know, what my experiences are!
I am sure that your camera will have a nice time  ;D

g3gg0

Quote from: philbird on January 10, 2014, 01:28:51 PM

--> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=20.0
;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!