Does ML RAW work with Final Cut Pro 7?

Started by shotxero, January 07, 2014, 10:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shotxero

Just ordered my KOMPUTER 64gb 1000x cf card and just waiting on it to arrive to hack my 5D Mark III. Quick question though, I edit on FCP 7 and most workflows i see on videos and forums is either Adobe premier or FCP X ? Does it work for FCP 7? i really hope it does cause i hate FCPX and never have i ever used premier.

dariSSight

Quote from: shotxero on January 07, 2014, 10:25:34 AM
Just ordered my KOMPUTER 64gb 1000x cf card and just waiting on it to arrive to hack my 5D Mark III. Quick question though, I edit on FCP 7 and most workflows i see on videos and forums is either Adobe premier or FCP X ? Does it work for FCP 7? i really hope it does cause i hate FCPX and never have i ever used premier.

I'm very curious on an education matter, why do you hate FCPX? I've use both and I alway wanted an outer opinion on why professional FCP 7 user resist the upgrade.
Canon 5D Mark II

3pointedit

Your ML RAW images sequence must be converted to another format for use anyway. So yes the RAW video can be used in FCP 7 or FCPX or Windows Movie Maker! You just have to convert it to something that your application of choice is happy with. In the case of Final Cut Classic that will be more limited.
550D on ML-roids

reddeercity

@shotxero: You can edit Tiff in FCP 7  as a image sequence and Cdng's or Tiff's in FCPX and  with the new update to fcpx (10.1) it's much easier now.
With Maverick (OSX 10.9) and the New Final Cut Pro X there is not faster NLE out there right now.
You really should give FCPX 10.1 a try its far superior then fcp 7 in every way .
Curious, why do you "hate" fcpx ? What makes you not want to try It ?  Is it Your Hardware limited e.g. ram, video card .
What make FCPX a big Power house now is it's total run on metadata.  :)
If  you have the new Apple compressor 4.1 you can import CDNG's as a image sequence then export a proress4444 with limited Grading.
Or you can use the New Motion 5 and the same thing, import  image sequence CDNG's but there you can Grade the image before exporting
a video file.  ;)

alphaandomegafilms

I am just beginning to work with RAW video with my 5D Mark III and after doing a google search I have the same question.  I know I can use Final Cut Pro 7 with RAW files, but how?  And before anyone asks why I'm not using Final Cut X, it's because when it was released it was kinda crap and not very professional (for example I couldn't use it with my professional monitor to do color correction because it wouldn't output to my professional monitor).  Now this may have changed since it's release, but I haven't looked at it since.  Any help would be appreciated on HOW I can use Final Cut Pro 7 with RAW files.

reddeercity

Well First off You really need Think about UpGrading to Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1
I have AJA Kona LHi with my 10bit grading monitor since version 10.04 . So you should exactly get
Info right please. With FCP7 your option is going to be by either Tiff image sequence or make a ProRes 4444 thought apple compressor, After Effect ,etc...  But there is
MediaReactor MLV plugging for FCP7  that it.
Note: CDNG's are supported in FCPX but Not FCP7, so another reason to upgrade, its becoming very fast the NLE Choose for a lot a professionals . 

alphaandomegafilms

It is really difficult to use these forums because of the snide remarks and I see them all the time:

("I have AJA Kona LHi with my 10bit grading monitor since version 10.04 . So you should exactly get Info right please.")

I CLEARLY stated that I haven't looked at Final Cut Pro X since its release and CLEARLY stated that one of the reasons I didn't upgrade was because upon its release it didn't output to professional monitors which made it an unprofessional solution, which is factual. I also CLEARLY stated that I need help with Final Cut Pro 7. I will definitely take a look at X again and see if it can provide me with everything I need.

We, I think, use these forums to educate and help each other. I hope I can find that education and help here in the future.

Thank you for the information about Final Cut Pro 7. It was very helpful.

evnewsphoto

So it sounds like FCP 10 works better with RAW? I am using FCP7 now and have tested FCP10 and liked it but have not switched yet, the incompatibility with FCP7 edited projects is a big hassle, but I was impressed with the latest FCP10 (updated).

I am not sure what CDNG's are or Tiff (heard of that- it's an image file right?) I have gotten "RAW Magic" and was able to process my RAW footage into the endless stills but not sure how to make it into a video file, what software does that?

Have not gone much past a few test, I shot on my new 5D M3- I have Komputer bay 1000X card- so I have the ability but don't want to jeopardize a client's project to try this stuff out yet and I have been too busy to play with it lately, this stuff makes my head spin a bit.

I really wish ML would make an easy software that you could drop the RAW files into and spit out a video, not all these steps upon steps. But I do appreciate their work!

Thanks, Everett
StoryCatchers Media

pilgrim

If you use Final Cut Pro the best file to edit is in ProRes format.
In FCPX you can do render different formats in background, in FCP7 you need to render before editing.
There is a program, very good indeed, and it's called :
MlRawViewer by baldland : 
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0
there you will find all the explanation.

or to be exact for Mac : https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_4_mac.dmg

This program/apps will convert the MLV or RAW to ProRes format ready to edit. I don't think there is other format better than ProRes for editing in Final Cut Pro. If in AVID, there is DNxHD, or other program prefer their native format.

and the last version is 1.1.5 :
https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_5_mac.dmg

If you habit with grading, then you can output file ProRes with profile sRGB, 709, HDR, log or just simple linear. These are plenty of choices and I am sure more than enough to start. There is a function for correction White Balance also (picker). This apps is the best for conversion if we want to work with ProRes. If during the filming the light is good, not in worst condition, in my opinion we can work with ProsRes from the conversion, with enough flexibility to make color correction or grading.
I am impress with the color from the conversion, without correction or grading.
Please try that apps, you see and judge yourself.
If there is one thing missing is the noise reduction, but this are common problem in low light filming. The RAW file don't have noise reduction as H264 format in EOS. The Neat Video is the best for cleaning.

Greetings.

reddeercity

You also can edit Cdng native on small projects , make a Compound clip and edit, grade add effect  etc...
In fact I'm doing this as a write this, I working on a 30min Doc. shot 5D2 MLV edited & grade in FCPX 10.1.1  :D
I use raw2Cdng from chmee, http://dl.phreekz.de/raw2cdng/raw2cdng.1.4.9.zip , this version of Cdng is compliant for fcpx
V1.5.0 beta is not (pink cast in apple products) The great thing in the new fcpx is you have a choice of color space for the Cdng's.
you can have either rec.709 HD, sRGB color space or the default color space for dng in fcpx , adobe RGB .
So it is getting easier to edit in apple in Raw.

You can always work with them as Tiff's in fcp7 btw. 
Edit: I know the new apple motion 5.0 & compressor 4.1 can convert Cdng's to prores 4444.
I thought come to mind, if you have Aperture I know there is a plugin to sent a image sequence to fcp7, but will not work for fcpx .

mannfilm

Final cut X will be dead within the year. The secrete agreement: Apple gets the consumer app's, adobe gets the pro app's. Adobe has killed off all their consumer apps. Apple has killed off soundtrack, motion, color, and now Aperture. FCX is next. This is why Resolve is trying to become the editor Final Cut should have been.

reddeercity

Quote from: mannfilm on July 30, 2014, 11:17:05 PM
Final cut X will be dead within the year. The secrete agreement: Apple gets the consumer app's, adobe gets the pro app's. Adobe has killed off all their consumer apps. Apple has killed off soundtrack, motion, color, and now Aperture. FCX is next. This is why Resolve is trying to become the editor Final Cut should have been.
How are coming to this conclusion ? Or are you Just Angry ! Let face it , FCPX is changing all the time to keep pace with other apps but it not dead by a long shot. I have been using fcpx since 10.0 and there is nothing can touch it  , you can Edit, Grade Raw/Cdng Native if you like and not have the problems
like you have in Blackmagic Resolve.  Not every NLE Software is flawless but to say Apple is killing its pro apps, is total BS , I guess the New 16bit ProRes4444 XQ Codec
will be dead too soon ? If you are going to make a Bold Statement you best be backing up your comment's
FYI; Motion Is not Dead I have the latest version BTW , Oh but you forgot to mention Compressor Is that dead also ?
Really I think you have a bone to pick with your workflow not working , Times are changing with NLE and the only Software company that got it right so far
is Autodesk Smoke for Mac. It the very best NLE/Grading/VFX software going hands down.
Resolve has some nice features , don't get me wrong but its a grading tool that can edit that's it. Each software tool has its place .