Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

Hmmm it's support converting MLV
http://www.faasoft.com/articles/mlv-converter.html

Edit:
@pjfroelofs
Try to convert your footage with this MLVApp. Can you give small MLV sample? You can trim it with MLVApp also.

pjfroelofs

Yes that was the solution!
I'm using MLVapp now, and the footage is beautifull!
Thanks.

domasa

Is it possible continous 2 hours recording without stop with 50d?
What is best resolution with 25fps (continous recording)?

chaz2000

Standard install went fine (watched a couple of yt videos before trying).

However, I'm having trouble with knowing even the basic settings to shoot video (both the 50D menu and the ML menus).
Also, when I go into live mode, the info on the bottom of the screen is flickering.

Would someone please point me to a tutorial or document to set up to do only a basic shoot while I'm learning about the other features/settings?

Thanks!
Chaz
Forever Noob...

Doofer

Hi there. I don't think you'll find anything specific to video in the Canon 50D menus about video, as the 50D isn't supposed to shoot video. However, in the ML menus, under the 'movie camera' symbol you can turn video recording on and off - enable it here. Then select live preview mode (the button above the screen that turns on live preview), then if you press the button in the middle of the control wheel on the back, you can start and stop recording video. Once you can do that, you can play with all the other settings, which are explained in the ML menu.

Doofer

I've got quite a lot of ML video from my 50D, recorded at 23.976fps. Its metadata reports it is 30fps (as noted elsewhere).
If I put it into my NLE (Lightworks) and slow it down to 80% normal speed, the NLE does this by inserting extra (copy) frames once in a while, which is a bit clunky. If I use FFMPEG to re-label it as 24fps (near enough!), it only seems to be able to do this by re-encoding, which given that these are lossy codecs is, again, a bit clunky - not to mention time consuming.
Has anyone figured out how to just change the appropriate metadata in the ML output so it is correctly labelled as 23.976fps? This mis-labelling by ML is proving to be a very irritating bug!

littlebobbytables

Quote from: Doofer on January 25, 2019, 02:51:31 PM
I've got quite a lot of ML video from my 50D, recorded at 23.976fps. Its metadata reports it is 30fps (as noted elsewhere).
If I put it into my NLE (Lightworks) and slow it down to 80% normal speed, the NLE does this by inserting extra (copy) frames once in a while, which is a bit clunky. If I use FFMPEG to re-label it as 24fps (near enough!), it only seems to be able to do this by re-encoding, which given that these are lossy codecs is, again, a bit clunky - not to mention time consuming.
Has anyone figured out how to just change the appropriate metadata in the ML output so it is correctly labelled as 23.976fps? This mis-labelling by ML is proving to be a very irritating bug!

In premiere you can 'interpret' the footage to be whatever framerate you want.

If you convert your ML raw files with one of the available free softwares you could also convert it to a DNG sequence and import it that way. In After Effects you can select a default fps for importing image sequences for example.

Alternatively you could convert it to a prores file with MLRawViewer prior to importing in your NLE.
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

reddeercity

Just pick up a 50D used body from my canon camera store with 90 days warranty ($225 usd) , had to updated canon firm to 1.09v. from 1.03
only 21k shutter , looks like new  :) Tested magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2019Mar24.50D109 everything ok so far , 10,12bit works great.
Even made the card bootable with the ML"FIR" though canon menu .
Very nice raw video images .

I plan on porting the 3k/UHD crop_rec from the 5D2 to the 50D along with (hopefuly lossless compression & CF Card over clocking)
being the 50D is very close to 5D2 , but the sensor seem to run at 28Mhz instead of 24Mhz like the 5D2 .

reddeercity

Update for 50D user , I've being experimenting with adtg_gui module for crop_rec module in 3k/UHD resolutions
read the latest progress in 3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams thread , below are the newest posts
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg216488#msg216488
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg216519#msg216519
So keep your 50D , it has some more unexpected life left in her  ;D

reddeercity

After some work I got some very good results ,3744x1080 23.976fps realtime preview while recording 10bit raw video
Watch on chrome for full UHD stream. Shot At 24mm(crop factor 2.0) = 48mm , shot at 3744x1080 up-scaled to prores 4444 3840x1104 in Adobe After Effect
Uploaded that same prores4444 file , A little shaky  :D sorry , but a quick test --  hope to have this coded in a few week for testing .

justinbacle

Quote from: reddeercity on May 21, 2019, 06:09:22 AM
After some work I got some very good results ,3744x1080 23.976fps realtime preview while recording 10bit raw video
Watch on chrome for full UHD stream. Shot At 24mm(crop factor 2.0) = 48mm , shot at 3744x1080 up-scaled to prores 4444 3840x1104 in Adobe After Effect
Uploaded that same prores4444 file , A little shaky  :D sorry , but a quick test --  hope to have this coded in a few week for testing .

This is awesome mate, i'll keep my 50D warm for testing :)
Keep us updated :)

reddeercity

Hey guys , I made a new test experimental UHD 10bit video , I spend more time on setup and edited 4 clips together for a 30 second video .
I don't have a working crop_rec module yet , but I'm very close .
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg217051#msg217051

Edit: Don't know if this is a bug or not (I'm not a regular 50D user) but ISO does not change from the
magic lantern menu , it only changes setting by the top dial on camera , in the little LCD screen on top
has the correct reading but ML report a different thing e.g. 100ISO . Using mlv_rec .

Can any other 50D user confirm this or not or is this how it is ?

aprofiti

Quote from: reddeercity on May 28, 2019, 06:40:09 AM
Don't know if this is a bug or not (I'm not a regular 50D user) but ISO does not change from the
magic lantern menu , it only changes setting by the top dial on camera , in the little LCD screen on top
has the correct reading but ML report a different thing e.g. 100ISO . Using mlv_rec .

Can any other 50D user confirm this or not or is this how it is ?
Quick check using lua_fix (both mlv_lite and mlv_rec) by changing ISO in ML menu I get correct values in top lcd and photo mode, but I get the value doubled in ML info bar while using LV.

Same happens if I use top buttons to change ISO.

zcream

@reddeercity thanks for looking at 50d. Hopefully the compression module gets ported to raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState
50d has less moire than 7d and 5dm2 so lots of potential..

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

reddeercity

Working on porting 50D to Crop_Rec module , I made a experiment in the adtg_gui module to enable
a simple 1:1 pixel preset in 5xZoom mode (3744x1080 @ 23.976fps)
instructions on how to setup & the download link to the build is in this post link below
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg221074#msg221074

Tullen

@reddeercity
This is great news. I acutally have 50d and a Canon Eos M, and I was just giving up hope on the 50d compared to the M, but now they could work nicely together. Would you like feedback and help with testing in this thread or over at the 3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams thread?

Wlad81

Is 50D worth buying instead of 100D?
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

reddeercity

I have now a working crop_rec module for the 50D , it's pretty basic right now
It's has 1 working preset (3744x1080 @ 23.976fps) in 5xzoom mode
more information can be found here with the download link to the build .

Frayfray

@reddeercity
i just ordered 50d and 5d2 and canon m but not sure if all camera will be ship i i am excited !! thank you for being patient and answering questions even when we post in devs . rather here. 

Wlad81

reddeercity
Would Sigma AF 17-50 (for Canon EF-S) be enough for shooting objects that are at approximately 10 ft, in crop mode?

Going to buy 50D at last.
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

Walter Schulz

Any lens can shot any object between near focus distance and infinity.

Wlad81

Walter Schulz
I'm talking about crop mode of the cropped format.

masc

No matter how much you crop. The optics of the lens is and stays the same.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Wlad81

Are they?

But should I recalculate the focal length for the crop mode? Seems that I should, that is why I'm asking.