Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpicat

Thanks very much for confirming this issue, that's useful to know it's also a problem on the other oldest models. Wish I could help look into it but don't have any coding knowledge. Would be amazing to try fixing it since crop mode on the 50D is incredible, especially now that 12 or 10 bit recording is possible.

Asiertxu

QuoteThe feedback I got was that 10bit is working on the 50D. The test build is still on my downloads page.

Hi all!
I´ve installed and tested this 10 and 12 bit version of RAW MLV and have been some problems with it.
One of them and the most important that I remember right now, is when I´m traying to change the ISO values, the camera inmediately locks up and the blue light that activates the LV appears. Then I´ve to reset the camera.
When I reset and try again, the ISO values changes , then stops and again , when I try to change it, the camera locks up.
Any one have this problem on this version?
Thanks in advance,
Asier.   

Asiertxu

And some times when restarting the camera I get this message, and all modules are not available (Err).

" tcc: error: undefined symbol  'unpatch_memory' "
" tcc: error: undefined symbol  'patch_hook_function' "
     [E] failed to link modules

Asier.

dfort

First I heard of these issues. I was getting reports like this:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg194390#msg194390

Not sure what is going on in your case. I'm able to run the 50D in QEMU with the firmware dump that I've got.

Asiertxu

Hi dfort!
Thanks for your input!
I,ve just tryed to "unpick" the "crop_rec" module to to avoid my camera start up with it for the next time.
The result is no errors on the screen. All the rest of the available modules are successfully loaded or that what it seems. :)
I´ve to check again for the ISO problem I got on this version that was locking up my camera.
I´ll let you know how it is going.
Regards and thanks,
Asier.   

dfort

Oh wait, you're using the crop_rec module? That isn't working on the 50D yet. No wonder you're getting errors. The "crop" others are talking about is when you get into zoom mode using the magnifying glass button.

Asiertxu

Hello Dan!
Yes, I seems that the "crop" recording module makes the camera start with error in all the other modules.
Even thougth ,there still have "locks" when traying to change ISO values when the camera is with the LV activated.
I´ve discovered today that, when need to change the ISO and don´t want my camera lock up, I temporaliy go out from the live view mode, then I change ISO
with the LCD buttons and the wheel, then I active the live view again. This way the camera does not lock up and the new ISO value is ready to use.
This is a bit anoying thin but it looks to work for the moment. ;-)
Thanks for your help Dan.
Best regards,
Asier.

Asiertxu

By the way, I realized that I had to disable the Crop Module because I had readen in the link that you provided me that some people had been having problems with them module and therefore I tested without it, so I had no problems anymore when starting my camera after that :-).
Best regards,
Asier.

Gutje

Ok, first time ML user here on a second hand bought 50D.
What strikes me is that there no "One page, all settings, best settings, user guide" for this camera.
So i look for multiple sites and fora to get my info and do some trail and error work.

I used two version of ML on my Canon 50D with Sandisk Extreme 32GB 120MB/s card.
1- magiclantern-Nightly.2018Feb04.50D109 - which works fine but does not give the 10/12/14bit option and i cannot seem to set 1/48 shutter.
2- raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState-wip.2018Feb04.50D109 - which gives me bad video (MlRawViewer_1_3_3_win32 crashes trying to watch the MLV files and MLV Converter 1.9.2 gives me pink pixelated DNG files).

What i want is continuous 1920 x *** 23.976 2.35:1 RAW video. Prefered without crop.
I know it's not possible to do 1920 x *** without crop on  the 50D.

Is there a page for all this info?

dfort

@Gutje - That 10bit/12bit build is highly experimental. We haven't figured out reduced bit depth, lossless compression or increased image sizes on that camera yet.

Not that 1920x1080 without crop on the 50D isn't possible. The camera actually shoots a slightly smaller image and it needs to be resized in post. When shooting H.264 it is resized in camera. The only ML supported camera that can shoot 1920x1080 non-crop raw video is the 5D3.

There was an attempt a while back to put all the information you need in one topic. It is a little outdated now:

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

athenabella

Ok, so i after a fair bit of searching and back and forth from links i thought it would probably be best just to ask.

I have just uninstalled very old ML and reinstalled the current 2018 build. before everything was fine, but now i am only getting 640x480 30fps or OFF option. What i read was to select the RAW option from the video menu to get the other option, but i don't have that option (RAW). am i missing something else i should be downloading? Is it right in front of me haha. Hopefully someone can point me in right direction. :)

r_non

Quote from: athenabella on April 28, 2018, 07:02:38 AM

but now i am only getting 640x480 30fps or OFF option

Hi, very new to ML here but hope I can help. Do you mean the h264 video? As in the one that says 'movie record' under the movie tab? Have you tried pressing the func. button?

Quote from: athenabella on April 28, 2018, 07:02:38 AM

but i don't have that option (RAW). am i missing something else i should be downloading? Is it right in front of me haha. Hopefully someone can point me in right direction. :)

To enable raw just go to the tab that has 4 squares and then enable 'mlv_lite', 'mlv_play', 'mlv_rec', restart then it'll be there, hope it helps!

Now, I've really tried to look up as much as I can but I don't think my issues are mentioned that much:

So, about 50D's raw in general. During raw recording, are you able to adjust exposure settings using camera dials, i.e. aperture, shutter, ISO at all? If so, could someone kindly let me know how to? I believe the option of 'gradual exposure' means it does but I just couldn't find a lot of information online about exposure during raw recording.

Also, does ML video function have continuous auto-exposure function? As in Av or Tv equivalent for video? It is mainly to move between scenes that are of different exposure in one take? Do I have to use lenses with physical aperture ring or fitted with ND filter?

So, the main problem I have is with exposure, if you guys can direct me to some good source, much is appreciated! Also, is 50D consider a good working raw video camera at this point? I mean am I suppose to expect other cameras running ML to be similar to 50D in terms of working condition?

Let me know if you need more info. Many, many thanks!

Some function i turned on during my raw video take:
Expo. Override     - to use 1/48?
ExpSim                - for histogram
Histogram            - for exposure checking
FPS override         - 23.976

Raw                     
- Res.: 1568x668; Ratio: 2.35x1;
- Preview options: ML Grayscale (correct me but 50Ds have issue with pink preview in other modes?)
- Use SRM Job Memory: ON
- Extra hacks: ON
- Buffer Fill: 4

Kill Canon Gui - Idle/Menus

*edit*
- removed question on ISO issue, just wanna focus on finding out if real time exposure change is possible.
- tried to use physical dials and ML's Arrow/SET shortcuts to adjust, none works...

Any help is much appreciated!!

r_non

Quote from: dfort on March 29, 2018, 06:57:15 AM
The feedback I got was that 10bit is working on the 50D. The test build is still on my downloads page.

Hi, about the 10/12 bit recording, is it this one: raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState-wip.2018Feb04.50D109.zip ?

I've tried and the recording seems to go smoothly but when reviewing, the images are corrupted?

10bit sample:

recording details
mlv_lite, mlv-_play, mlv_rec on
expo. override: on
global draw: histogram on
fps override: 23.976
RAW video: 10bpp
preview: on
use srm memory: on
small hacks: on

Seemingly quite a few got successful with 10bit, so can one go higher than 1584*xxx (the max on 14bit) with the extra headroom on 10/12bit or is it the same work in progress to make 4k capable on these newly compatible 10/12bit cam?

Thanks!

reddeercity

Either mlv_rec or mlv_lite but not both at the same time  , what app did you use to extract Cdng ?
If on Windows MLVProducer: [v3200](It's more then just a app to extract Cdng's it' a Grading app also) is the very best app here on the forum nothing even came's  close . It supports all the latest magic lantern changes and if you are on a MAC you still run MLVProducer App  on Mac with Wine .
download for http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php , you need this first then follow the instruction here   , I've ran this on my MacPro5.1 , so i know it works . After that  MLVFS  is the next best app just to extract Cdng's

ghostmanno

Quote from: r_non on July 04, 2018, 01:28:14 AM
Hi, about the 10/12 bit recording, is it this one: raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState-wip.2018Feb04.50D109.zip ?

I've tried and the recording seems to go smoothly but when reviewing, the images are corrupted?

10bit sample:

recording details
mlv_lite, mlv-_play, mlv_rec on
RAW video: 10bpp
preview: on

Seemingly quite a few got successful with 10bit, so can one go higher than 1584*xxx (the max on 14bit) with the extra headroom on 10/12bit or is it the same work in progress to make 4k capable on these newly compatible 10/12bit cam?

Thanks!

I tested this build  "raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState-wip.2018Feb04.50D109.zip"  on my 50D and with 10bit video recording. It is working, I only got 16GB Sandisk card with 30MB/s so I can't to much of the stability need to get hold on a bigger and faster CF card. But it seems that this build is okay on my 50D.

Opened up the MLV file with MLVProducer as reddeercity mentioned, and there is no corrupted frames in the file.

r_non

Quote from: reddeercity on July 04, 2018, 03:47:33 AM
what app did you use to extract Cdng ?

Hey, I was using MLV Converter 1.9.2, found it from one of the 'get started guide' in the forum and since it was getting okay with 14 bit MLV files.

Anyway, tried MLV producer and you are such a life saviour!!!! THANK YOU SO SO MUCH.

However, there seems to be an issue with video shifting/ jerking at only the 1/3 section from the bottom part. A user with 50d reported something similar before in the 10/12 bit development forum.

video shifting example:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IenGoF4avcovV19xCDhtfQXLbW2zKf_1

Problem occurs regardless:
- 5x magnification mode or full frame mode
- any resolution
- with or without mlv_play module on (heard that 7d has 'earthquake' footage if video review is turned on?)
- 10 or 12 bit
- mlv_lite or mlv_rec

settings:
preview: grayscale

OHHH how a great discovery! During this writing, I realise that if camera is fitted on a tripod, meaning no camera movements, the shifting will not appear! So it only happens when the camera is moving!

Once again, thank you for all the help :D

[edit]
12bit comparison test on tripod vs when there is camera movements

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hBE773ecvxEFFNlbFN8XYGnTjlwjZfKf

ghostmanno

Quote from: r_non on July 04, 2018, 07:33:41 PM
video shifting example:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IenGoF4avcovV19xCDhtfQXLbW2zKf_1

I took a quick check with my 50D, got the same thing as the posted videoclip,  looks almost identical.  Some kind of strange tearing issue, I tested it with 1280x720 and 10bit, write speeds about 26 MB/s so my 30MB/s card should be fast enough for this.

mlv_lite

I was hunting this 10/12/14bit for full resolution silent pictures. Would have been nice with the option to get 10 or 12 bit to save space when taking a few thousand pictures to digitize old Super 8 films :-). Don't want to move 700-800 Gb over Flashair card from Toshiba but seems that this or the WFT-E3 is the only option to access the files on the memory card while the camera is taking pictures.

jlaroche

Hello! I'm brand new to ML and the Canon 50D in general. My question is will autofocus during video work with this camera and ML?

Additionally, I am wondering what lens people recommend for taking video with ML and the 50D? I'm looking for a macro lense or wide angle - something like 11 - 50mm...

r_non

Hi, welcome to the community and great choice to start ML with the 50D!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with autofocus in video mode just because with DSLRs, they simply don't have the capability to do smooth focus pull (assuming that's what you intended to do), unless you have Canon's dual pixel af (70D). Anyway, as far as I have tried, you can do autofocus, albeit only in one-shot af, meaning it can't do continuous af. The single af is handy to obtain focus of a scene before recording though it can be quite a bit slower compared to simply zooming in and focusing manually.

Perhaps you're wondering how to af in video, in that case use the 'AF-ON' button on the back. Have fun!

[edit] -additional replies
A good lens to start with is probably a wide lens so you have the freedom to use it in crop mode as well.

Andy.Z

Hello! I've decided to sell my 50D. I have got 100D but I didn't try ML on it yet cos I don't have fast SD card.
So, my question is: What can 50D with ML that 100D can't? Especially in RAW-video.
Also... Maybe I'll buy 70D in the near future. What features can I miss in ML?

Audionut

Quote from: Andy.Z on September 28, 2018, 10:24:35 PM
What features can I miss in ML?

The 100D is a port in progress.  You need to tell us.

Quote from: nikfreak on October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM
What's working:

• You tell me. Don't forget to report like instructed above (fill in OK)
What's not working:

• You tell me...
Check also Changelog history below for all details and disabled features...

pjfroelofs

I'm a newby on shooting film with the 50D.
Shooting a movie with ML works perfect in the 1920x1080 mode 30fps (and also in the 640x480 mode).

But when I activate the MLV V 2.0
and change the raw video (MLV) settings to:
1280x640.
Aspect ratio: 2:1 (I like the cinematic ambiance)

Then the recorded movie is heavily underexposed. (I use faasoft video converter)
And the color is much to green.

What am I missing here?
In normal movie mode, all works perfect.
In MLV mode, the recording is very dark and green.

masc

How do you view your MLV files? Samples?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

pjfroelofs

Remember the footage is taken on a sunny day:

This is the mlv converted via faasoft video converter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Zz1o1kDuk

And this is a mlv directly uploaded to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEKIxMkyTxw

masc

What is faasoft?! Have you tried one of the official ML converters? MLVProducer, Switch, MLVFS, MlRawViewer, MLVApp,...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202