Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

"hg bisect" is what you can do to help.

You only need not to be afraid of the command line - it works on all major operating systems.

justinbacle

I'll try and do that. Never used hg_bisect but doesn't seem that difficult. I already have magic lantern build set in bash fo windows

justinbacle

I got :
user@domain:~/magic-lantern$ hg bisect
abort: cannot bisect (no known bad revisions)

Not sure it helps  ::) Am I missing something ?

a1ex

You need to mark the last changeset as bad and the older one as good:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3534107/what-is-mercurial-bisect-good-for
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/finding-and-fixing-mistakes.html

e.g.

hg up unified -C
hg bisect --reset
hg bisect --bad
hg up older_changeset -C
hg bisect --good

Then, it's best to recompile both ML and the affected module(s); "make zip" from platform/50D.109 should be fine.

justinbacle

I'm pretty sure the problems happens at or after changeset 443884d (used on build 2017Aug17).
I'll have to compile versions in between the ones available for download right ?
As I still have trouble compiling myself, I cannot go further :s

make zip ends in :

boot-hack.o: In function `my_init_task':
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x230): undefined reference to `_bss_end'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x234): undefined reference to `_text_start'
boot-hack.o: In function `my_task_dispatch_hook':
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x378): undefined reference to `_task_overrides_start'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x37c): undefined reference to `_task_overrides_end'
boot-hack.o: In function `copy_and_restart':
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x560): undefined reference to `_bss_start'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x564): undefined reference to `_bss_end'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x57c): undefined reference to `_bss_end'
boot-hack.o: In function `my_big_init_task':
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x67c): undefined reference to `_init_funcs_start'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x680): undefined reference to `_init_funcs_end'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x690): undefined reference to `_tasks_start'
boot-hack.c:(.text+0x694): undefined reference to `_tasks_end'
config.o: In function `get_config_var_struct':
config.c:(.text+0x258): undefined reference to `_config_vars_start'
config.c:(.text+0x25c): undefined reference to `_config_vars_end'
config.o: In function `config_var_lookup':
config.c:(.text+0x290): undefined reference to `_config_vars_start'
config.c:(.text+0x294): undefined reference to `_config_vars_end'
config.o: In function `config_save_file':
config.c:(.text+0x8e4): undefined reference to `_config_vars_start'
config.c:(.text+0x8f8): undefined reference to `_config_vars_end'
config.o: In function `config_parse_file':
config.c:(.text+0xaa0): undefined reference to `_config_vars_start'
config.c:(.text+0xaa4): undefined reference to `_config_vars_end'
property.o: In function `prop_add_internal_handlers':
property.c:(.text+0x1a4): undefined reference to `_prop_handlers_start'
property.c:(.text+0x1a8): undefined reference to `_prop_handlers_end'
module.o: In function `_module_load_all':
module.c:(.text+0xeb4): undefined reference to `_module_symbols_start'
module.c:(.text+0xeb8): undefined reference to `_module_symbols_end'
make: *** [magiclantern] Error 1

Anyone got the same problem on the 50D here ?

justinbacle

mlv_rec is working again in the latest build :) Sorry I couldn't help pinpoint the reason why it broke on august builds :s

a1ex

The only change in the latest build was in the silent picture module (nothing changed on mlv_rec or ML core). You can check the previous build again - maybe something changed in your settings meanwhile?

The above error should disappear with "make clean" - not sure why it happens though.

justinbacle

Thank you a1ex, make clean helped compiling :) There's still a few errors but it compiles now !
I can start hunting now. I'll do it this week-end or as soon as I have a few hours free.

anto

guys, what is the max continuous resolution of 50D? there is crop mode? any hope for the future (lossless, 10 bit ecc)?
I'm 5DIII owner and just thought to sell my cam to swicth to another cheaper ML cam.

justinbacle

Quote from: anto on October 08, 2017, 05:24:53 PM
guys, what is the max continuous resolution of 50D? there is crop mode? any hope for the future (lossless, 10 bit ecc)?
I'm 5DIII owner and just thought to sell my cam to swicth to another cheaper ML cam.
Yes you have crop mode. You can do full frame continuous (1584x1056).
Check the calculator http://rawcalculator.bitballoon.com/calculator_desktop to check the maximum resolution in crop mode for your wanted aspect ratio ;)  (2.35:1 1920x818 is ok)
Compared to your 5D3, you'll be loosing 10-12bit raw and compressed raw (plus the 50D is not that stable if you want to record a lot in warm environments)

SoyLeo

Experimenting with my new 50D, hahahaha ... the image quality is incredible.  8) :)

https://vimeo.com/248726534

kyrobb

I'd say you'd be losing a lot if you sold your 5D3 for a 50D. You'd lose proper HD raw recording, 4K crop mode, good noise performance at higher isos, sound recording, and you'd gain aliasing and moire issues in their place. 2/10 would not recommend.

cohap_zp

Hey Guys!

Does anybody have an issue while recording RAW video on 50d - video recording stops and says "card file system error"?
For me it is appears randomly at any moment and I havent find the solution.
h.264 works perfectly.

CF card Im using is Toshiba Exceria 1000x 32GB.

Thanks.

SoyLeo

Quote from: cohap_zp on December 30, 2017, 09:41:00 PM
Hey Guys!

Does anybody have an issue while recording RAW video on 50d - video recording stops and says "card file system error"?
For me it is appears randomly at any moment and I havent find the solution.
h.264 works perfectly.

CF card Im using is Toshiba Exceria 1000x 32GB.

Thanks.

I think I had this error during a 4 hour session recording a maximum of 5 continuous minutes (videoclip).
Now I use the MLV_Lite version and without problems, I use a CF Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro  160MB/s.

alpicat

Quote from: cohap_zp on December 30, 2017, 09:41:00 PM

I've never had an issue with raw on the 50D - although haven't tried recording for longer than 2 minutes. H.264 has given me some reliability issues though. I also use a CF Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro 160MB/s

I like filming with the raw crop mode (1x1). However even with the preview option set to "Canon" (i.e. normal liveview x5 zoom framing), the display turns to grayscale as soon as I press record, which isn't bad (it's nicer than the slow framerate preview you get with the "ML Grayscale" setting), but it's a bit hard to use if trying to focus manually during recording. Wondering if anyone has been able to get round this issue? I've tried various nightly builds and all the menu settings I could think of.

Before recording - crop liveview in colour: 

During recording - turns to grayscale:

Also I use lenses with image stabilisation. and as far as I know on the 50D the only way to activate IS whilst recording video is to keep the shutter half pressed continuously whilst recording, without letting go. However, as soon as I half press the shutter whilst filming in crop mode, the display turns pink (again with the preview option set to "Canon").

Shutter half or fully pressed, pink liveview:

cohap_zp

You can enable "Sticky half-shutter" setting which is located in Prefs->Misc key setting.

But in this case you need to start rec on, then half-press shutter once and you are good to go.
In order to stop rec, you need half-press first and then actually stop recording.

Feels tricky, but it is worth it, especially in combination with any gimbal.

alpicat

Quote from: cohap_zp on January 26, 2018, 07:03:28 PM
You can enable "Sticky half-shutter" setting which is located in Prefs->Misc key setting.

But in this case you need to start rec on, then half-press shutter once and you are good to go.
In order to stop rec, you need half-press first and then actually stop recording.

Feels tricky, but it is worth it, especially in combination with any gimbal.

Thanks I really appreciate that - it works very well for me, and makes the camera a lot easier to use!

Now just need to understand if it's possible to shoot in 1x1 crop mode without liveview going greyscale when hitting record, and pink when pressing the shutter button to activate IS. Does this happen to anyone else?

finalfinish

Can anyone help me out with this flickering of the overlay in Liveview. I don't know all the technical terms of what is happening, so I just created a video to show that it is flickering in very specific spots. It does this with different cards and batteries, so I doubt they're the problem. Let me know if anyone has an idea, thanks.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/UezZ_USl7yA

cohap_zp

Quote from: finalfinish on January 30, 2018, 03:51:00 AM
Can anyone help me out with this flickering of the overlay in Liveview. I don't know all the technical terms of what is happening, so I just created a video to show that it is flickering in very specific spots. It does this with different cards and batteries, so I doubt they're the problem. Let me know if anyone has an idea, thanks.

Link to video: https://youtu.be/UezZ_USl7yA

Have you disabled Canon's original GUI?
Blue flicker is looks like zebras on under-exposed areas, while the lower one is looks like a some sort of conflict between Magic Lantern GUI and Canon GUI.

Its just my thoughts...

zcream

Quote from: kyrobb on December 27, 2017, 02:46:47 AM
I'd say you'd be losing a lot if you sold your 5D3 for a 50D. You'd lose proper HD raw recording, 4K crop mode, good noise performance at higher isos, sound recording, and you'd gain aliasing and moire issues in their place. 2/10 would not recommend.

I remember an old build where dual ISO mode was enabled for video. Also, 2.5K in crop mode is possible with 10-bit/12-bit mode - hopefully that will be done soon-ish. No moire in crop mode...

kob

just installed the nightly build for 50d
and the crop/zoom buttons are freezing the camera.
im shooting fps override to 23.95, raw 16:9, komputerbay cards, never had this issue before.

am i posting this in the right place?

zcream

Sad that everyone gave up on this cam. No more work on 10bit raw or hdr.

dfort

The feedback I got was that 10bit is working on the 50D. The test build is still on my downloads page.

alpicat

Quote from: dfort on March 29, 2018, 06:57:15 AM
The feedback I got was that 10bit is working on the 50D. The test build is still on my downloads page.

I've just tested this build - works very well. Thanks so much for this dfort. In crop mode I'm now able to record at the max allowable res of 1984x1078 continuously (or nearly so) in 12 bit raw. It's fully continuous in 10 bit.

As I mentioned in my post above (21st Jan), it's a shame I'm getting a grayscale preview in crop mode once I hit record (which turns pink when half pressing the shutter button). This is with "Canon" selected under preview options. At least it's a real-time preview that isn't pixelated like the other preview options. However I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue too, since I haven't seen it discussed anywhere. Maybe it's just my camera that has a problem?

a1ex

Known issue on very old models (5D2, 50D and 500D). Possibly also 7D.

Last time I've looked into it (some years ago), I remember having to choose between clean recorded image (without bad pixels or other artifacts) and good preview. Clean recorded image resulted in pink Canon preview for some unknown reason. Made it grayscale as it looked nicer than pink.

Meanwhile, I think most raw converters got the ability to fix bad pixels, so this might be worth revisiting.

RE notes:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/36acb0f9c3e2a3df46bd9affc26e0d70c455b5b7/modules/mlv_lite/mlv_lite.c#mlv_lite.c-1111
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18393.0

Just in case anyone might be looking for some easy coding task that only requires a bit of patience trying different settings ;)