Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walter_schulz

visiono

does it have an hdmi output? will i avoid overheat issue if i use an external monitor when recording raw?
also, it will stop recording when reaches 4gb ? that's a little over 1 minute?

dogmydog

Quote from: visiono on December 27, 2014, 06:02:01 PM
does it have an hdmi output? will i avoid overheat issue if i use an external monitor when recording raw?
also, it will stop recording when reaches 4gb ? that's a little over 1 minute?

For those asking about the external monitor:
I've been using my 50D to shoot my web series (www.youtube.com/opostodosexo) since sept/2013 and I use a liliput 669 external monitor connected to it since day one. It works incredibly fine, but I'm not sure if it affects the write speed on CF cards. I also use a battery grip.

Quote from: simulacro on December 21, 2014, 01:10:36 PM
The 50D tends to overheat after some minutes of recording, after that if you're recording in h.264 the frame rate will reduce automatically

About the heating, all I can say is that I constantly change batteries and cards between shots and leave the card slot and battery slots open with a dedicated fan just for the camera. The place where we record is really hot, so in the summer we have to be patient, but the camera never failed to deliver suberb results in MLV rec mode.

I invite you all to check my web series at YouTube, since we recorded 69 episodes so far, all using magic lantern hack. Here is a playlist with English subtitles.
http://youtu.be/WXbUvjK_SsY?list=PL4S9fTIuLcZIzL0B2f4UsUwaORrnUO9rn

Cheers,
Leandro
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

far.in.out

Is there aliasing when shooting h264 as with RAW?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

menoc

Quote from: far.in.out on January 08, 2015, 02:18:43 PM
Is there aliasing when shooting h264 as with RAW?

Well, take a look . . .

drkamikaze

What workflow do you all use?

I just wrote a post outlining mine, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right/the best.

https://altcinema.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/post-production-workflow-when-shooting-raw-on-the-50d-and-other-canon-cameras/

itias

@drkamikaze: I'm currently looking for the easiest yet still flexible one and as of today my preference would be:
1) shoot mlv
2) raw2cdng for conversion to cdng
3) davinci resolve for everything else (debayer, edit, color correction, output). For color conversion using VisionLOG, however that is still uncharted land for me

Disclaimer: I'm just enthusiast, not professional videographer ;)
50D, Nightly.2015Jan03

itias

Dear fellow 50d owners:) I have some issues understanding the concept of movie mode implemented in current nightly. It seems that Exposure Override option is dramatically changing movie behavior. Having it disabled, no matter what you set before recording, ML tries to keep shutter speed close do 360deg, which for h.264 is around 1/30, changing the ISO accordingly when moving from bright to dark scenes. With Exposure Override enabled, you set settings before recording and ML honors them but not adjusting for changing light conditions. Could someone be so kind and give me a hint on how to override standard shutter speed of 1/32 to shorter value, say 1/60, to achieve 180 deg, but still keep the possibility of automatic exposure adjustment? Is it at all possible in 50d?

Thanks
Greg
50D, Nightly.2015Jan03

uxicorp

Been having a real challenge here with 50D and feeling like a real noob  :-\.  It doesn't let me adjust the resolution. It's either 640x480 on or off. When I turn on the HD, when I go to the Raw Video (MLV) option on the movie menue, it's either "On, 1568x882" or OFf. No in between.

I really don't care about shooting HD, I just want to shoot higher resolution than 640x480 which is way to low for my needs.

How do I change the resolution??

drkamikaze

@Itias: What is the advantage of shooting MLV over RAW.rec on the 50D? My understanding was that the big advantage of MLV.rec is that it can record sound, which the 50D can't do anyway...

Also, I would love to try DaVinci Resolve, but until I upgrade my computer, I am unable to run it. Hence Adobe Camera Raw and After Effects for DNG processing...

EVZML

Any update on 60fps slomo mode for 50D??  :)

simulacro

Quote from: uxicorp on January 24, 2015, 05:28:53 PM

How do I change the resolution??

In the video tab, go to RAW video. Options with SET button are on or off
Pressing the joystick, you'll find a submenu where you can cahnge resolution

Quote from: drkamikaze on January 24, 2015, 07:05:08 PM
@Itias: What is the advantage of shooting MLV over RAW.rec on the 50D? My understanding was that the big advantage of MLV.rec is that it can record sound, which the 50D can't do anyway...

The card speed improves a lot, at least in my case. I have two 60MB/s cards, and the recording times have improved since I installed the MLV module

Also, the MLV format brings all the metadata which is important for ACR

Edin Edin

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to share one of my first real-world tests with the 50D and MLV. I had limited stabilization, so bare with me :P

https://vimeo.com/117798276
50D

vascostmr

Edin, what was your workflow?

Edin Edin

Quote from: vascostmr on January 27, 2015, 11:41:33 PM
Edin, what was your workflow?

I outlined most of it on vimeo. Here's the summary.

- Extract DNG(s) from MLV file(s) with MLVBrowseSharp
- Edit and/or correct DNG frame(s) in Adobe Bridge with ACR (this includes resize to 1920x1080)
- Process all DNG frames to high quality (12) JPEG via Photoshop
- Use FFMPEG to join JPEG sequence to ProRes 422 HQ
- Cut and grade in Premiere Pro and export to H.264 Vimeo 1080p HD

Somewhat peculiar maybe, but I really like it. I also use AnotherGUI to interface with ffmpeg, since I get to create my own presets for specific fps and codecs etc and do batch processing.
50D

CITY-U1001

23.976 fps. Transcend 32 GB x400 magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jan29.50D109.zip
1536х864 - 13 sec. ( SRM off )
1536х864 - 24 sec. ( SRM on )
1536х864 - 31 sec. ( SRM on + b/w preview )
50D | EFS 18-55 | last build crop_rec-3744x1080_24fps_50D-eXperimental.4.57pm.2020May06.50D109.zip

derdeagle

Hey guys,

a co-worker recommended ML and I tried it with the firmware 1.0.8 first. Now I downloaded the nightly build for firmware 1.0.9 and installed it, no error occured but how do I open the ML menu? The picture style button (as in the version for firmware 1.0.8) only opens the normal picture style menu.
Unfortunately I was not able to find the information I need via google or the forum, maybe I used the wrong keywords.

Could you guys please help me?

Thanks in advance.

derdeagle

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> User Guide -> Magic Lantern Menu

derdeagle

Well thank you. I didn't see that one, maybe it was too obvious for me  :-[
And sorry for the late reply, I just had to take a look at the options I now have!  ;D

mamouchka9

Hey Everybody,

First post on ML forum. I passed a few hours to clearly understand the max resolution, as of today, for RAW video continous recording on 50D. I think I'm not the only one who'd like to know, so if someone has the answers...

What's the max resolution ?

@ 24fps:
1- In Full Sensor 16:9
2- In Full Sensor 2:35
3- In Crop Mode 16:9
4- In Crop Mode 2:35

@ 25fps:
5- In Full Sensor 16:9
6- In Full Sensor 2:35
7- In Crop Mode 16:9
8- In Crop Mode 2:35

@ 50fps:
9- In Full Sensor 16:9
10- In Full Sensor 2:35
11- In Crop Mode 16:9
12- In Crop Mode 2:35

Thanks in advance for the one who'll lost an hour of our precious time on earth to answer and share it to the entire world  8)

kyrobb

I don't have all the information you're after, but I can offer some. With a fast enough card, you'll be able to record continuous raw video at:
1568x882 (16:9) Non-Crop mode @ 25 fps (57.6 MB/s) or @ 24 fps (55.3 MB/s)
1568x668 (2.35:1) Non-Crop mode @ 25 fps (43.7 MB/s) or @ 24 fps (41.9 MB/s)
I have little experience with crop mode so I can't help there, but unfortunately there is no 50 fps on the 50D at all.
Hope this helps!

vascostmr

Does anyone has the .fir and silent.mo with full-res-silent-pics compiled to the 50D?

Have been trying to compile it but can't get it working.

menoc

Quote from: vascostmr on February 27, 2015, 04:08:47 PM
Does anyone has the .fir and silent.mo with full-res-silent-pics compiled to the 50D?

Have been trying to compile it but can't get it working.

This is from the Jan 29th full-res branch.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0r8l9zg74pxr21u/AAACNR7H-SmkvhRJKtEYSGc6a?dl=0

ADJ

I was looking at the latest Nightly and saw that the 50D Changelog includes:

"df0bbfe | g3gg0
mlv_rec: major fixups for card spanning and preallocated file names"

It was my understanding that the 50D can't do exFAT or card spanning. I think it therefore has a one second or so pause when recording all formats H264, MLV or RAW. For stock settings of H264 the limit is reached at 4GB which is about 17 minutes into a recording. Am I missing something?

Walter Schulz

Commited changes in main branch's code will start new builds for all platforms (but 5D.123). No matter if your cam is affected by those changes or not.
But there were two changes affecting 50D, too:
MLV was limited to 40 GByte for a take: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg141340#msg141340
+30 minutes MLV/RAW recording without frames lost: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14644.msg141430#msg141430