Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoMC

Hi,

I recorded some video and I am not happy with the sharpness, but I am not sure if it's a limitation of the codec/camera or some other problem.

I had to shoot h.264 25fps, f8, 1/50, ISO 100.
The fotos from the same camera position (tripod) with the same settings and the same focus on the lens are fine.
The h.264-footage however is rather blurry in comparison (no example video right now, but I am trying to get the permit).

I know that the 50D was never meant to record video and I have already seen comparison videos from the beginning of RAW recording on ML that show a massive difference between h.264 and RAW in sharpness.
However since then the development of ML did not stand still and even normal videos made by stock Canon DSLRs  look way better than the h.264 I got from the 50D.

So, is it a limitation in the codec/hardware and I have to live with the blurryness/shoot RAW - or did I miss something and h.264 on a 50D should be decent?

1%

The only thing that can make 50D H264 liveable is finding where the flush rate is and maxing the bit rate settings so it records at the highest quality 100% of the time. For all of the memory and write speed on 50D the H264 is exceptionally bad.

MojoMC

Quote from: 1% on November 20, 2014, 05:10:39 PM
The only thing that can make 50D H264 liveable is finding where the flush rate is and maxing the bit rate settings so it records at the highest quality 100% of the time.
I tried 2x CBR and it works, even with my old card.
For certain scenes I was able to get 3x CBR, but the results are nowhere near this sample from a 550D: http://vimeo.com/36649861

Quote from: 1% on November 20, 2014, 05:10:39 PMFor all of the memory and write speed on 50D the H264 is exceptionally bad.
That's not what I wanted to hear, but it seems that way.
Well, off to figure out the easiest RAW workflow that I am willing to "endure"...

1%

I looked at it last night too... I still can't find flush rate or gop settings :( I'll keep looking tho... I did correct the mvr.h struct which has to go back into ML proper... your qscale isn't being displayed and I dunno where the "x" parameters are actually being written. You'd have to check your videos and see if they are really encoding at low qp #s or bit rate "CBR" isn't working at all. The fixed quant mode (qscale) is working for sure and slice is in the back end So overall a pretty normal 5DII/7D/550D style encoder. Maybe its the large pixels/low density sensor + too much compression?

What I find interesting is that there is 1 other mode, 640x480 60P from the looks of it.  If that 60P can be changed to then the 50D will do slomo.

simulacro

1%

@FF835180
if ( dword_4700 )
  {
    if ( dword_4700 == 1 )
    {
      H264E_SetParameterH264Encode(6);
      Resolution = 1280;
    }
    else
    {
      if ( dword_4700 != 2 )
      {
        DryosDebugMsg(61, 6, "ILLEGAL_PARAMETER MovieSize:%d");
        return 3;
      }
      H264E_SetParameterH264Encode(5);
      Resolution = 640;
    }
  }
  else
  {
    H264E_SetParameterH264Encode(10);
    Resolution = 1920;
  }

But it don't wanna workee.  Changing the LV mode is proving harder.

simulacro

Tullen

Quote from: Tullen on August 02, 2014, 02:06:19 PM
Hi everyone.
I wonder what the latest is regarding using 50d with a field monitor when recording raw.

1. Does it work with both hdmi and avi (if that's the name for analog)?
2. Does it show overlay?
3. Does it impact performance?
4. What is the output resolution? The same as you film, 1080p/I or something else?
5. Is there anything else important to know about field monitors and 50d?

If you use one, which one and how?

Thanks!

Still wondering about this. Nobody have any idea? Also wonder if usb/tablet is an option when recording raw?
Cheers.

EVZML

@Tullen: I tried a iPad 3 with DSLR Controller App (+ 2in1 Camera Connection Kit) - I can get it run, but it stops monitoring as soon as I start video recording (RAW or H.264 same)! So for me, it does NOT work right now. But maybe the future brings more options, or maybe I just have a slow USB Cable or Camera Connection Kit...

I think it's too much for the camera to record video and also monitors the video same time on another screen - for a camera that was not even build to record video! Think the CPU is too slow...but I'm not sure! :)

joris818

I tried installing ML today for the fist time.
I seemed to be having some issues (when i first tried live view i got some weird orange colours on my screen). Since then my camera is acting all weird.
I accidentally removed the ML files from the CF, took me a while to find out what was wrong but finally i restored the ML files (downloaded the files and transferred to the CF).

I decided not to continue using ML for now so i wanted to roll my camera back to it's normal Canon firmware but this seems to be a problem.
If i go to menu, it won't display the firmware (this means i cant update the firmware). The camera also doesn't show all menu tabs. I have to use the green automatic mode (at the top dial) just to even get a menu.

Is there any way to restore my camera to how it used to be?
I can't acces most of my menu's now, it won't give me live view, I can't change the iso. The camera seems to have lost a lot of functions and this freaks me out :-(

joris818

I tried some more troubleshooting and none of the camera buttons work in M, AV, TV of P.
I can get a menu in the other modes but it's very limited. Image review won't work.

simulacro

did you try formatting the camera? A message will appear: "keep magic lantern?"

cantsin

Hello,

I'm running the nightly built from Oct. 7 on the 50D and encounter weirdness with setting ISO:

(a) Whatever ISO is set in the ISO menu, the live view overlay remains at showing "ISO 100".
(b) ISO can only be increased when dialing down shutter speed and going below 1/27. Then, the shutter speed will stay at 1/27 but ISO will go up in 2x increments.

Is this a bug or a feature?

logankohlbacher

QuoteWhat I find interesting is that there is 1 other mode, 640x480 60P from the looks of it.  If that 60P can be changed to then the 50D will do slomo.
"

Any progress on this? would love to be able to shoot 60p on the 50D for slomo

podutro

Hello,

I have a problem with red square in one specific place in raw video. It appears ONLY in raw video. No problem with CR2 files and h264 videos.

Here are the images.

Raw video: http://oi62.tinypic.com/fjmb9h.jpg
Crop: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vi1n52.jpg
CR2: http://oi61.tinypic.com/24dgd5d.jpg
h264: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2h2qhpi.jpg

Any ideas what could cause it and on a solution? And what simple way to remove it in postproduction?   

Thank you!

oc_masta

Shot a RAW video in crop 2k and standard 1.5k full sensor mode. Used a fuji film lut too, here it is. I lost quality on the export from AE, so need to work on that.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13980.0

Widget

What's the longest take anyone here can get out of their 50D while shooting 1.66:1? I'm running on the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB and I get around 4.5 minutes.

walter_schulz

Frame rate? Resolution? MLV or RAW? ExFAT or FAT32? How much free space remaining after break?

Widget

Sorry, should clarify:

1568x940
MLV
FAT32 (didn't know the 50D supported ExFAT)
Camera drops frames consistently after around 4.5 min, which is roughly half the 32GB card.

menoc

QuoteFrame rate? Resolution? MLV or RAW? ExFAT or FAT32? How much free space remaining after break?

ExFAT? . . . ExFAT is not supported on the 50D. FAT32 only - unless someone has figured out how to do it.

in non-crop mode, i can record 15-20 minutes using a Komputer Bay 64Gb 1000x card, 23.976 fps, Global Draw OFF, MLV Recording, and keeping the 50D in a shaded area. Here's what you also need to know - The most important factor - as far as length of recording - for the 50D is camera temperature. You must try to keep the camera cool. My recommendation is that you shoot in short takes pausing for a short period and turning off LiveView if possible before doing the next take. For example, on interviews, you can treat your questions as takes that way you have a chance to let the camera cool down a bit in between questions. Letting the camera cool a bit is especially important if you are shooting in hot sunny day.

visiono

i'm considering buying the 50d to shoot wedding videos. do you think using the settings above to get 15 min per 64gb card is reliable?
can you clarify what resolution i will get when you said non crop mode?
also, does this mean the 50mm lens will behave the same as on a standard aps-c non ML hack canon camera?

also confused about resolution. this camera cannot shoot 1920 x 817  ? if not what is crop mode and how does it affect things. does it crop the view of every lens used ?

thanks

simulacro

the 50D doesn't have audio. It's a photo camera modified, and the hardware doesn't have the necessary stuff to do that. Youll need to record audio externally

The 50D tends to overheat after some minutes of recording, after that if you're recording in h.264 the frame rate will reduce automatically

the 50D in raw recording in non crop mode will record at 1568x882 and it has the same field of view that any lens on a aps-c camera

the crop mode is 2.4x aprox and my 17-85 in the wide end (17mm) would look like a 50mm lens field of view. In crop mode it can shoot 1920x1080

menoc

Quotei'm considering buying the 50d to shoot wedding videos. do you think using the settings above to get 15 min per 64gb card is reliable?
can you clarify what resolution i will get when you said non crop mode?
also, does this mean the 50mm lens will behave the same as on a standard aps-c non ML hack canon camera?

also confused about resolution. this camera cannot shoot 1920 x 817  ? if not what is crop mode and how does it affect things. does it crop the view of every lens used ?

thanks

A few things in addition to simulacro.

If you're going to shoot weddings, you probably want some fair amount of shooting time. I'd recommend you shoot in non-crop mode. Non-crop mode has a drawback though - you will get Moiré and Aliasing when shooting wide angle and scenes with very fine details. To get rid of Moiré and Aliasing you might want to consider getting the Mosaic Engineering's Optical Anti Aliasing filter.

daveesl77

For those new here and wondering if ML really does work with the 50D I can tell you it does.  I used my 50D as a 2nd/3rd level camera at a wedding I shot last weekend and it ran like a clock.  A number of people were amazed seeing it do timelapse without an intervalometer hanging off of it.  Thank you guys so much for this!

Here are a couple of samples I did with the 50D shooting raw video files.

Test 2 was shot on a rainy, stormy day.  Primarily doing short clips.  No color correction done.

Palms in the Keys.

silviasol

Hey guys.  New here and exited to get this installed on my old 50d :D  I have been watching youtube videos on how to install the stable version however do not see a link for it in the downloads.  Is there a stable version I should try first?