Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogmydog

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on August 17, 2014, 09:11:39 AM
The flickering pixel relates to the sensor. Raw is clear enough to show just how much one pixel can affect the overall image. A good practice before shooting is to conduct a deep sensor cleaning, about 30 seconds to a minute will aid in "flickering pixels." Some times a 5-minute deep clean is needed to eliminate hot pixels. Though, hot pixels / stuck pixels tend to come back. But you'll find that almost all CMOS sensors have issues with stuck / hot pixels in some way shape or form. If stuck with the footage, I would find an image processor that automatically removes flickering / hot pixels when debayering the Raw images. Adobe Camera Raw automatically removes stuck / flickering pixels when debayering.

...Hope this helps you hone in on quality, usability, and also somewhat of the sensor industry's norm.

Tyvm for the help, Levis! I'll try that for sure.
It's funny because I always use ACR to CC my shots and then use AE to render out DxHD to Premiere. Shouldn't it have it fixed for me automatically?

I bought the VAF for the 50D based on your review by the time it was out. It's nice to know you're still following the 50 raw video thread :)
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

arhi

Quote from: ayshih on August 18, 2014, 05:03:39 AM
I don't know if it's possible to quantify the safety.  At the warmer temperatures, you may see some variation or artifacts in the sensor output, and the 50D has a quirk where the FPS may lock to 22 fps.

The safety I am talking about here is
- killing something (sensor, killing some pixels for good, something else in camera..)
- shortening life of something (shortening life of sensor, some other part?)

Any short term problems (like artifacts that will be gone after the sensor cools) are no problem :D

I noticed that my SD card (16G UDMA7 90MB/s scandisk, nothing fancy) is hot hot hot when I get it out of the camera when playing with video..

Thanks for other answer, all clear now .. this nightly looks very very interesting .. any manual that's following the nightly builds?

arhi

and how to get this pink stuff out of the dng's ?!!? any converter I try I get same pink images?
here's a sample dng

ayshih

Quote from: arhi on August 18, 2014, 11:23:54 PM
The safety I am talking about here is
- killing something (sensor, killing some pixels for good, something else in camera..)
- shortening life of something (shortening life of sensor, some other part?)
As a general rule, electronics don't like being exceptionally warm, especially if they weren't actually designed for it, so there's probably some risk, but we certainly can't quantify it.

Quote from: arhi on August 18, 2014, 11:23:54 PM
Thanks for other answer, all clear now .. this nightly looks very very interesting .. any manual that's following the nightly builds?
There's a work in progress in this thread, and of course, you can always search the forums.

Quote from: arhi on August 19, 2014, 01:45:37 AM
and how to get this pink stuff out of the dng's ?!!? any converter I try I get same pink images?
I can't view DNGs on this computer, but my guess based on your words is that the automatically set black level is incorrect in the DNG.  The black level on a 50D DNG should be 1792, so you'll need to use exiftool to set it to the correct value.  It could also sometimes be a problem with the white level, depending on which parts of your image have a color cast.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

arhi

Thanks, I'm pretty good with electronics that's why I do ask about this :D but if noone killed their sensor yet I don't have to worry about it :D

this exiftool is not working for me, or I'm just stupid .. it states it "updated" the image but I read back black level as zero :(

D:\test>"exiftool(-k).exe" "-*Black Level*=1792" m.dng
    1 image files updated

D:\test>"exiftool(-k).exe" --list m.dng
ExifTool Version Number         : 9.69
File Name                       : m.dng
Directory                       : .
File Size                       : 2030 kB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2014:08:19 04:04:02+02:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2014:08:19 04:04:02+02:00
File Creation Date/Time         : 2014:08:19 04:04:02+02:00
File Permissions                : rw-rw-rw-
File Type                       : DNG
MIME Type                       : image/x-adobe-dng
Exif Byte Order                 : Little-endian (Intel, II)
Subfile Type                    : Full-resolution Image
Image Width                     : 1568
Image Height                    : 882
Bits Per Sample                 : 12
Compression                     : Uncompressed
Photometric Interpretation      : Color Filter Array
Make                            : Canon
Camera Model Name               : Canon EOS 50D
Strip Offsets                   : 4634
Orientation                     : Horizontal (normal)
Samples Per Pixel               : 1
Rows Per Strip                  : 882
Strip Byte Counts               : 2074464
Planar Configuration            : Chunky
Artist                          : MagicLantern
XMP Toolkit                     : Image::ExifTool 9.69
Video Alpha Premultiple Color Black: 1792
Colorant Black                  : 1792
CFA Repeat Pattern Dim          : 2 2
CFA Pattern 2                   : 0 1 1 2
Copyright                       : ML_RAW2013
Time Zone Offset                : 0 0
Date/Time Original              : 2013:05:21 12:12:42
DNG Version                     : 1.2.0.0
Unique Camera Model             : Canon EOS 50D
CFA Plane Color                 : Red,Green,Blue
CFA Layout                      : Rectangular
Black Level Repeat Dim          : 1 1
Black Level                     : 0
White Level                     : 4095
Default Scale                   : 1 1
Default Crop Origin             : 0 0
Default Crop Size               : 1568 882
Color Matrix 1                  : 0.492 0.0616 -0.0593 -0.6493 1.2964 0.2784 -0.1774 0.3178 0.7005
Color Matrix 2                  : 0.492 0.0616 -0.0593 -0.6493 1.2964 0.2784 -0.1774 0.3178 0.7005
Camera Calibration 1            : 1.004 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1.012
Camera Calibration 2            : 1.004 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1.012
Analog Balance                  : 1 1 1
As Shot Neutral                 : 0.4637681159 1 0.6632124352
Baseline Exposure               : 0
Baseline Noise                  : 1.25
Baseline Sharpness              : 1.5
Bayer Green Split               : 100
Linear Response Limit           : 1
Camera Serial Number            : MAGICe4e1842
Anti Alias Strength             : 1
Shadow Scale                    : 1
Calibration Illuminant 1        : Standard Light A
Calibration Illuminant 2        : D65
Best Quality Scale              : 1
Active Area                     : 0 0 882 1568
Forward Matrix 1                : 0.8259 0.0184 0.12 0.3835 0.6715 -0.055 0.1129 -0.2582 0.9705
Forward Matrix 2                : 0.8001 0.0303 0.1339 0.3876 0.7158 -0.1034 0.0623 -0.1346 0.8975
Time Codes                      : 01:37:18.00
Frame Rate                      : 24.003
Reel Name                       : M190127M
CFA Pattern                     : [Red,Green][Green,Blue]
Image Size                      : 1568x882

D:\test>

arhi

found it

D:\test>exiftool -G1 -IFD0:BlackLevel=179.2 m1.dng
    1 image files updated

:D now it looks ok thanks

Jackeatley

Quote from: Widget on August 13, 2014, 11:58:29 PM
Maybe it's supposed to work like this, but is there a reason why the quick wheel on the back of the 50D becomes unresponsive in menus after activating Live View?

Stupid question, but is your power switch all the way up? clicked towards wheel.

Widget

Quote from: Jackeatley on August 19, 2014, 09:37:17 AM
Stupid question, but is your power switch all the way up? clicked towards wheel.

Yeah, just checked. I even reset the ML config settings and the back wheel still does not function in the ML menus when I have Live View activated. It still changes the aperture when the menus aren't up but it's useless once I hit the trash button. Still works fine in the Canon menu though. Using the build from 8/8.

[Edit] And like that, it works now. So weird!

Jackeatley

Quote from: Widget on August 20, 2014, 08:51:04 AM
Yeah, just checked. I even reset the ML config settings and the back wheel still does not function in the ML menus when I have Live View activated. It still changes the aperture when the menus aren't up but it's useless once I hit the trash button. Still works fine in the Canon menu though. Using the build from 8/8.

[Edit] And like that, it works now. So weird!

My main thumbwheel on my 550d often behaves like this, too, it'll stop working until the camera is either restarted, or left to chill for a few hours.

fish-head3

Hi

I have been using my Canon 50D for video and any file over 130mb in size won't transfer to my computer.

Any thoughts?

Walter Schulz

OS used? Program used?
Computer connected to cam or cardreader? If cardreader: Type?

fish-head3

Windows 7

Using Explorer to drag and drop - works for photos and for files <130mb

Connecting camera directly

Widget

Hey guys! I noticed that the "Fix Black Level" option in the MLV plugin isn't enabled by default on my 50D. If I'm recording the full width of the sensor in RAW mode do I need to enable this for the best image quality? Sorry if this is an obvious question.

ayshih

The existing "Fix black level" option does not work properly on the 50D because the wrong target value is in the code (1024, when it should be 1792), so don't enable it.  It's usually immediately apparent if the black level is wrong on your videos (strong green or magenta casts), and you can correct any black-level issues after recording by using exiftool.

Once this pull request is fully tested and merged, black-level detection should be much more reliable.

rguk

Finally got round to trying out the latest nightly and actually shooting and processing some RAW video for once (I've only been doing h264 video) so I stuck the camera out the window:

Seems to work pretty well :). Workflow was raw_rec - MLVMystic - DNG - Adobe Lightroom (I use it for stills anyway) - 100% JPEG - VirtualDub (couldn't be bothered loading Premiere) - GoPro Cineform codec to AVI - Adobe Media Encoder to MP4 - Youtube.

Lens: Olympus OM 28mm f/2.8 Zuiko

Now, I realise there was some additional info required back when I mentioned this a few months ago but due to my day job getting in the way I've not had much chance to mess about with stuff. I still notice I can't change the lens aperture while recording is taking place either in RAW or H264. What's the latest on this? Is some more info/testing still required? I'm aware that on the 50D (with stable or tragic) adjusting aperture (or zooming a lens with variable aperture) causes brief pauses in the video as the lens stops down but having the option would still be nice, especially if shooting documentary style and you walk into an unexpectedly bright area. I'm aware a variable ND could be an option but it's not so good if you're needing to make adjustments in relatively low light situations and want all the light you can get until such times it's too much and you need to stop down. I have a couple of manual lenses with aperture rings that get around this, but it's my Sigma 10-20mm that I really want the ability to adjust the aperture on the fly again.

Sort of related: when trying to come up with a workaround I noticed if you try to adjust the ISO using the thumb stick shortcuts while recording the camera locks up and requires a battery pull. I then set them to aperture/shutter adjustment but still the aperture had no effect.

Amazing work as always guys though. Once all this festival madness is over here I'm taking a break away and hope to spend some time shooting some RAW clips.

Cheers

trigger-f

Hello,
Sorry if this is not related...

Just wanted to ask fellow Canon 50D users or anyone who knows whether you can turn on Liveview through the menu in the camera instead of by pressing the Liveview button on the upper left corner? Reason I'm asking is because I am planning to purchase a used Canon 50D and use it for underwater video with Magic Lantern. I currently have a Sea & Sea MX-40D housing and have used it with a Canon 40D camera for years, however, the 40D does not support video. I have also been told the 50D can fit in the Sea & Sea housing, however, there's no dial/switch on the housing to activate live view. Everything else would work fine by loading Magic Lantern, but I have no idea how I'd be able to activate Liveview while underwater?

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

menoc

Anyone knows if full-res silent pics is now part of the nightly build for 50D? I'll be shooting a time-lapse this weekend . . . . Please, please, please . . . .

jonas88

Hello all.
I have just read the whole tread and I am really exited about getting a Canon 50D. I also got a Sandisk extreme pro 16gb 90mb/s. Is this enough to record continuous raw 1584 x 892? Some say you need at least 100mb/s...?

Thanks

Widget

I'm able to record the max resolution of 1x mode with 16gb Sandisk Extremes. The Pro versions will be more than enough for what you're looking to do.

hungryhippos

Just joined up tonight, I used to own a 50D many many moons ago, decided to buy another one yesterday as I am too scared to brick my 7D's and I have 6 BP511 batteries siting around, battery grip and a guy sold it to me for $220 with only 7k shutters. A complete steal. Super excited to learn the ways of MagicLatern!

Widget

You've got a good setup there; that is a bargain for $220. ML was a little intimidating to me at first but you're going to have a blast discovering everything that it can do. :)

handbanana

@hungryhippos

Wow awesome find man! I got mine for $200 but it had 75k actuations on it >_<, but I still love my 50D :) Enjoy!

ayshih

Quote from: rguk on August 22, 2014, 04:20:31 AM
I still notice I can't change the lens aperture while recording is taking place either in RAW or H264. What's the latest on this? Is some more info/testing still required?
I'm not familiar with this issue.  Are you using exposure override?

Quote from: trigger-f on August 22, 2014, 04:47:55 PM
Just wanted to ask fellow Canon 50D users or anyone who knows whether you can turn on Liveview through the menu in the camera instead of by pressing the Liveview button on the upper left corner?
It'd be possible to make a menu option in ML to turn on LV, but I imagine that it'd be too niche of a use to be included in ML itself.  A simple module would probably be the way to go (or script, once that's possible).

Quote from: menoc on August 22, 2014, 05:42:59 PM
Anyone knows if full-res silent pics is now part of the nightly build for 50D? I'll be shooting a time-lapse this weekend . . . . Please, please, please . . . .
I guess the "weekend" is already long gone, but no, full-resolution silent pictures are not in the nightly builds yet.  You can always compile a build yourself or request one.

elhungarian

Hi all,

hope someone can help me figure this out. Sorry for newb question.. I have searched and researched but can't explain it.

So the 50D is only supposed to be able to record in 1568×882. Yet my ML menu only gives me 1920x1080 or 640x480  both 30FPS as options... I'm not in crop mode when i record and VLC claims the video is 1920x1080..

Which is the liar :) ? What am i missing?
where can i select 24fps?

Thanks for the help