Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpjpandone

Here is a cbetter picture of the blotches and lines

a1ex

Post two silent pictures, one from 50D, one from 600D, showing the same scene, with the same lens and same exposure settings.

Include a screenshot with the settings (the LiveView screen), because the silent pictures don't include exposure metadata.

menoc

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 22, 2014, 05:55:43 PM
Here is a screengrab to show what I am describing:

This is shot at f2.0 1250 ISO (1600 pulled down to 1250 with ML-3)
shutter speed is 50, FPS is 23.97

Now this is a scene lit only by a 100w table lamp, but at these settings I can get a great exposure with reasonable level of noise on 600D, is there something wrong with my 50D's sensor? Or is this normal? It looks fine with adequate light, but in low light the noise is unbearable....

BTW, does RAW Video benefit from the iso's pulled down?

Am I just not used to seeing this noise because H.265 clips the shadows and applied a picture profile? Or is this an unusual amount of noise? I really don't know what to expect because I have no experience with this sensor... I see small black blotches that come and go and a strange criss-cross pattern of vertical and horizontal banding. It looks like a defective sensor to me..

Is h.265 out?

menoc

Quote from: a1ex on May 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM
Compare ISO 100 1/100 f/4 with ISO 800 1/100 f4, both graded to look the same. Which one is noisier? Post the results.

;)

(of course, you can choose other shutter and aperture values, just keep them the same in both images)

Graded to look the same or graded with the same settings? - You probably meant exposure wise right?

a1ex

Yes, exposure wise (so overall brightness in the output files should be equal). So, the ISO 800 one should be darkened by 3 stops (from the exposure slider), compared to the ISO 100 one.

dpjpandone

OK, the DNG's don't look like that, they have a much finer and more acceptable grain. is it just MLViewer that is displaying it weird?

I just got very good results by exporting dng from mlviewer and importing as camera raw sequence into adobe after effects. I adjusted the white balance and crushed the blacks a little bit then exported lossless avi. Can someone please tell me if SRGB is the correct setting for mlrawviewer for this process? Or should I used rec.709, I couldn't find a clear answer on this.

menoc

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 22, 2014, 06:43:36 PM
OK, the DNG's don't look like that, they have a much finer and more acceptable grain. is it just MLViewer that is displaying it weird?

I just got very good results by exporting dng from mlviewer and importing as camera raw sequence into adobe after effects. I adjusted the white balance and crushed the blacks a little bit then exported lossless avi. Can someone please tell me if SRGB is the correct setting for mlrawviewer for this process? Or should I used rec.709, I couldn't find a clear answer on this.

Yes. MLViewer's window is only for reviewing footage, not for quality output.

dpjpandone

BTW, thanks for helping me figure this out guys, I was growing really disheartened looking at the previews, I thought I had a bad sensor or the 50D's low-light performance was really overrated. Neither is the case, I'm just totally inexperienced with raw. I am really happy with all the footage we shot yesterday. Thanks so much!

Magicdrainpipe

Hi Guys im new here and thought i would say hi,

i put ML on my camera last night but was overly impressed with what i gained. Today i had a search about and found this thread so i downloaded the nightly build Built on: 2014-05-24 01:48:50 +0100.

I much prefer this layout and found it easier to see what i wanted to do.

I have a couple of questions about it however.

when i go into the info menu and try to open any of the functions such as press FUNC i get a message no info found ? did i miss something out?

secondly i like the menu that opens when you push the joystick in but i hate it on that button can i move it?

third as i use the joystick to toggle my focus points it seems a waste to also have the SET button doing this function as well as acting as a half press to re focus, i don't want that can i stop it.

i managed to turn off the SET button in the original ML 2.3 build but i like this one better.

cheers

handbanana

Hey guys, so I'm trying to make the jump to MLV to save myself having to adjust WB on each clip like in RAW, but I found that the "fix black level" option does nothing but create pink DNGs that even ACR has trouble reading properly. It seems like a dangerous design flaw to have that option automatically be enabled in mlv_rec. Can we make it harder to reach or simply remove it? I'm hesitant to use MLV now because I'm scared I'll accidentally turn it on or maybe after a bad reboot the camera will turn it on, and unlike some bad settings that can be easily dealt with, gross pink DNGs even in ACR doesn't seem like an easy fix. Thanks.

dsManning

Quote from: handbanana on May 24, 2014, 07:30:32 PM
Hey guys, so I'm trying to make the jump to MLV to save myself having to adjust WB on each clip like in RAW, but I found that the "fix black level" option does nothing but create pink DNGs that even ACR has trouble reading properly. It seems like a dangerous design flaw to have that option automatically be enabled in mlv_rec. Can we make it harder to reach or simply remove it? I'm hesitant to use MLV now because I'm scared I'll accidentally turn it on or maybe after a bad reboot the camera will turn it on, and unlike some bad settings that can be easily dealt with, gross pink DNGs even in ACR doesn't seem like an easy fix. Thanks.

Don't worry. You can always fix it after, even if it does happen.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

casuso

In fact i have some trouble with mlv. In raw i can record as long as the cf card allows me, but in mlv i can just record one minute before skipped frame. After that the camera starts freezing again and again, even if im nit recording. So i just shoot raw. But it would be nice to have a better mlv mode :)

handbanana

Yeah, yesterday was my first time shooting in MLV and in multiple instances I wanted to just switch back to RAW, but because I need to batch export so many clips with varying WBs I just dealt with the random skipped frames and freezes. :/

MojoMC

Hi,

I am a proud owner of a "new" 50D and I tried ML Unified 2.3 (stable). Installation was flawless and video recording was working.
However, only 1080p30 in H.264 and some lower resolution was available, but that seems to be a limitation for my camera? I found no information in the dokumentation of ML Unified regarding the available resolutions on a 50D.

For raw recording, I think I need the raw_rec or mlv_rec module (and new autoexec?) since no raw option is available in Unified 2.3 - but do I need to compile the module itself or is there an existing module for 50D? Perhaps even included in the newest nightly builds I can download at http://builds.magiclantern.fm ?

Another thing I missed is the card benchmark; I can't find it in the menu. Is this a custom module also?

Walter Schulz

Download latest nightly build if you want to use MLV/RAW.
Format card inside your cardreader, insert it to cam. Format it there a second time, copy expanded contents to card (cardreader again), startup cam and run firmware upgrade.

ikola1

Hello guys, i am new to the forum, so first let me say thanks to all of you for making this 50D thread alive and well after the tragic disappearance of the old one that was so useful for the beginner i was.

Here is the link of a video i've made, it's not a test, it's finished ;) Hope you'll enjoy watching it, if not, just watch the 15 last sec to see my 'not so serious' tribute to the ML logo and work.

Thanks to the developers for this awesome work on the raw stuff that is only a year old by now. And again thanks  to all the contributors in the MagicLantern forum. Things just getting better and better ^^

matthiasdeo

Very impressed with the latest nightlys, haven't had any stability issues whatsoever. The work the devs are doing is amazing.

One thing that I've noticed is that when using the RAW module I am able to record 24p 1920*1080 for around 1200 frames before it starts skipping. Using the MLV module with the same settings however only lets me get about 200 frames. Due to the fact that the 50D can't record audio there's not really any reason for me to use MLV anyway but I'm just wondering what causes it to perform so much worse for me.

handbanana

I get similar performance drops with MLV, but the benefit for the 50D would be the WB metadata if you know you're nailing it in-camera, so you can skip the WB settings in post.

dogmydog

Quote from: ikola1 on May 27, 2014, 12:20:06 AM
Hello guys, i am new to the forum, so first let me say thanks to all of you for making this 50D thread alive and well after the tragic disappearance of the old one that was so useful for the beginner i was.

Here is the link of a video i've made, it's not a test, it's finished ;) Hope you'll enjoy watching it, if not, just watch the 15 last sec to see my 'not so serious' tribute to the ML logo and work.

Thanks to the developers for this awesome work on the raw stuff that is only a year old by now. And again thanks  to all the contributors in the MagicLantern forum. Things just getting better and better ^^

Pretty amazing shots! Made me want to visit the place :)
The animation on the end is pretty cool too. Nice job!
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

ikola1

Quote from: dogmydog on May 29, 2014, 04:26:51 AM
Pretty amazing shots! Made me want to visit the place :)
The animation on the end is pretty cool too. Nice job!

Thank you dogmydog ^^ Glad you like the animation. Yes experiencing the place was very cool, quiiiet, some passing people+cars during the day but twilight and night time were marvellous. At 10pm all the lights from the hôtel and the ruin area were off, no big cities around, the sky was dark with a billions bright stars. Was alone waiting for my friend+car to catch me later (finally at 02am). Happy time with my 50D+MagicLantern :) !

handbanana

Has anyone tried out the new Komputerbay 1050x and 1066x cards and are they any better for the 50D? Or are we still se ton the 1000x as the best?

lionelp

@ ikola 1: Nice work!
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

matthiasdeo

Quote from: handbanana on May 29, 2014, 04:42:09 PM
Has anyone tried out the new Komputerbay 1050x and 1066x cards and are they any better for the 50D? Or are we still se ton the 1000x as the best?

The 128gb 1050x works great for me. I can easily get continuous 1:1 no crop or 1920*800 and can record 1920*1080 for 1200 frames (50 seconds). Here is the benchmark, bear in mind the cards benefit a lot from being warmed up first.

ikola1

Quote from: lionelp on May 29, 2014, 05:53:55 PM
@ ikola 1: Nice work!

Thank you lionelp ! Happy you like it :)

handbanana

Quote from: matthiasdeo on May 29, 2014, 06:20:22 PM
The 128gb 1050x works great for me. I can easily get continuous 1:1 no crop or 1920*800 and can record 1920*1080 for 1200 frames (50 seconds). Here is the benchmark, bear in mind the cards benefit a lot from being warmed up first.

Cool, thanks! I ended up getting (2) 64GB 1066x to complement my (2) 64GB 1000x cards. Gonna use the 1066x on a Mk3 today for a short film (and the 50D with the 1000x). :D