Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Just try the current nightly and let me know if it fixes the issue.

To get started with programming, follow the sticky topics from the development area.

ImagineFlight

Quote from: a1ex on May 14, 2014, 06:59:17 PM
Just try the current nightly and let me know if it fixes the issue.

To get started with programming, follow the sticky topics from the development area.

Nightly Build 14 May 2014 Notes:

Live View - Expo Override DEACTIVATED:
-------------------------------------------------
+Shutter speed does not match camera settings
+Top shutter wheel adjusts ISO values, not shutter speeds.
+As shutter wheel is spun, adjustments are made in the opposite direction. I.E. a spin to the right decreases ISO values
+Rear click wheel adjusts both aperture and shutter speed values.
+Rear click wheel both increases and decreases shutter speed and aperture values together. One goes up, so does the other
+Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO are consistent both in low and bright lighting

Live View - Expo Override ACTIVATED:
-------------------------------------------------
+Full manual control available without menu navigation
+Top shutter wheel controls shutter values again
+WITHOUT FPS OVERRIDE: Shutter values are consistent with camera settings - i.e. 1/50 camera = 1/49 LV | 1/60 cam = 1/64 LV
+WITH FPS OVERRIDE 23.976 EXACT FPS: LV Shutter values are (approx) doubled from camera settings, but manual control is achievable. i.e. 1/80 camera = 1/48 LV | 1/125 camera = 1/60 LV

@A1ex, you must be a mad scientist. This build is as simple and usable as my (Stable v2.3 + raw) build, but with the benefits of the previous nightly build. I'm going to zip this build together and keep it in a warm happy place on my backup hard drive.

I'm also looking to get into using the new MLV format. I understand that tagging is available. A couple questions:
+Is changing from Raw v1.0 to MLV worth the different workflow, as the 50D does not record internal audio?
+Tagging the Take# is functional on the 50D on your new nightly build as well as the previous, but TEXT TAGGING is not functional in either build. Tips? Not possible on 50D?
+Using MLV2DNG.exe and MLVViewSharp, All frames are pink.

Keep on rockin,
ImagineFlight
Imagine Flight Media House

sync24fps

Can someone please explain HOW to disable the BLACK LEVEL in the menu?  I get nothing but corrupted jumbled colored frames shooting in .RAW mode on the 50D with the latest nightly builds.

chilimac02

Hey guys. I bought a used 50d so I could play around with RAW video (my SL1 doesn't have ML available). I've got RAW video working and it looks great (latest nightly)...

My question is, where in the menu do you change the frame size/aspect ratio? I was hoping to play around with wide-screen stuff, and also just shoot at 720p. The default setting looks great but I'm wondering if I can change it in the menu somewhere and being a noob just can't find it.

thanks,
Justin
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

ImagineFlight

Quote from: chilimac02 on May 15, 2014, 01:41:25 AM
Hey guys. I bought a used 50d so I could play around with RAW video (my SL1 doesn't have ML available). I've got RAW video working and it looks great (latest nightly)...

My question is, where in the menu do you change the frame size/aspect ratio? I was hoping to play around with wide-screen stuff, and also just shoot at 720p. The default setting looks great but I'm wondering if I can change it in the menu somewhere and being a noob just can't find it.

thanks,
Justin

Just hit the function button to locate additional sub options for everything within ML. In your case, scroll over the RAW option, and press function. Press function again to exit the submenu, or hit the live view or trash can to exit back to live view again.

ImagineFlight

Quote from: sync24fps on May 15, 2014, 12:17:33 AM
Can someone please explain HOW to disable the BLACK LEVEL in the menu?  I get nothing but corrupted jumbled colored frames shooting in .RAW mode on the 50D with the latest nightly builds.

Try deleting your ML files on the card and replacing all files with the latest build. I'm not sure what you mean by "disable BLACK LEVEL."

Also - I get pink frames when I use the MLV format on my 50D. I recommend using the other raw option (which may be what you're doing already if you mean .RAW mode, good luck)

chilimac02

Thank you ImagineFlight. That did exactly what I was hoping for. This camera is quite amazing!!
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

Audionut

Quote from: sync24fps on May 15, 2014, 12:17:33 AM

Note:  You may still get images with color casts, depending on other settings used in MLV.  These can be fixed very easily in post:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

dpjpandone

Can someone tell me what to expect using an external monitor with 50D when shooting h264? what about RAW? am I limited to 480P like on t2i? Does the screen blank for a second when you hit record? what external monitor do you recommend for 50D?

casuso

I just want to ask something. Is anyone else having overheating problems? After 30 minutes with the LiveView turned on, i start  having the ML message FPS Warning. Possible overheating. And the Termometer that comes in the Global Draw is at 57ºC. My only workaround is to turn off live view whenever i can. I have read in the ML manual that 50D may overheat. But in other people experiences it doesnt get heated so quickly so maybe im doing something wrong. ¿Anyone with the same problem? ¿Solutions? Maybe any bad configuration i may have?

simulacro

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 16, 2014, 02:25:12 AM

am I limited to 480P like on t2i?

Does the screen blank for a second when you hit record?

1x crop: 1600x900 aprox

no

ayshih

Quote from: casuso on May 16, 2014, 08:18:21 AM
I just want to ask something. Is anyone else having overheating problems? After 30 minutes with the LiveView turned on, i start  having the ML message FPS Warning. Possible overheating. And the Termometer that comes in the Global Draw is at 57ºC. My only workaround is to turn off live view whenever i can. I have read in the ML manual that 50D may overheat. But in other people experiences it doesnt get heated so quickly so maybe im doing something wrong. ¿Anyone with the same problem? ¿Solutions? Maybe any bad configuration i may have?

Heh, I was wondering just yesterday whether that particular code still gets triggered; apparently the answer is yes!  The "FPS Warning" is because the recording gets locked to 22 fps, irrespective of the desired FPS.

I think you'll find that overheating is a common problem for anyone using the 50D for recording, especially if you're talking 30 minutes.  For example, earlier in this thread, sync24fps had come to the conclusion that, under his circumstances, he could only record for a few minutes at a time before encountering issues.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

casuso

@ayshih thanks for pointing me in that direction. I did some searches and didn't find anything. The tips that this man gives are great. I already have the battery grip and i will try using an external monitor to see if it overheats less.
In fact, i had some problems with corrupted files . Luckily i could rescue them (almost) all with this python script.

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8237.msg115455#msg115455

I thought it was caused by the card getting full but now i think it was caused by overheating and full card (Lexar 32GB 1000x (just 9 minutes of video  :'()).
After that corrupted files problem i tried to keep the camera cool by shutting off the live view while i wasn't using it and after every shot. The settings keep the same doing this and the temperature goes down some degrees.

menoc

Quote from: Audionut on May 15, 2014, 06:13:29 AM

Note:  You may still get images with color casts, depending on other settings used in MLV.  These can be fixed very easily in post:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

ExFAT? . . . That's a 5D Mark III. Right?

sync24fps

@ audionut - thanks for the Black Level tip.  I will try it and see if it fixes the problem.

maxfsims

Hello all, I`ve been combing over any information I can find on 50D RAW via the ML forums. The way the community tests and forges new builds seems quite exciting! I just spotted a 50D at my local camera store for $275 and I feel quite tempted to jump into the world of 50D RAW.

My only reservations are those that relate to the camera overheating and dropping frames.

What sort of continuous record times is the 50D currently getting with the fastest cards?

Thanks!

dpjpandone

Quote from: sync24fps on April 15, 2014, 04:10:37 AM
The 50D is a better performer in low light for RAW capture than the 5D MKii and 7D!  At only 25% less resolution than the 5D mkii, its surly worth the price to pick one up. 

I am experiencing iso noise that is sooooo bad I'm afaid to shoot anything higher than 320. Can someone tell me is everyone just removing it in post? Or am I the only one who feels this way? I have used the t3i for the last two years, and I'm comfortable shooting all the way up to 1250, but 400 on the 50D looks worse than 1600 on the 600D. (to me) am I spoiled? Should I just treat it like a slow film stock and avoid high iso's or is there post magic that makes the higher iso's acceptable?

ImagineFlight

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 21, 2014, 06:41:08 PM
I am experiencing iso noise that is sooooo bad I'm afaid to shoot anything higher than 320. Can someone tell me is everyone just removing it in post? Or am I the only one who feels this way? I have used the t3i for the last two years, and I'm comfortable shooting all the way up to 1250, but 400 on the 50D looks worse than 1600 on the 600D. (to me) am I spoiled? Should I just treat it like a slow film stock and avoid high iso's or is there post magic that makes the higher iso's acceptable?

Make sure your exposure is manual and that you're getting an even exposure for each frame. You won't experience any noise, just trust the camera. If your exposure is too low or too high, you'll get that noise. If you need more light and want to keep your shutter speed (which you should always keep) and aperture is already wide open, then ramp it up in the ISO until your bracketing reads as close to 0 as you can.

menoc

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 21, 2014, 06:41:08 PM

For a camera such as the 50D, your lens speed is directly related to the quality of shots in low light. A fast (say 1.7) lens will give you more light. And if the lens is made for m43 (APS-C) sensors,  you'll also improve your images in low light because the sensor will be collecting more light. Both of these features translate into using lower ISO settings. Low ISO = lower noise. Couple that with some fair amount of lighting and you have a decent low-light camera - it's not a 5DMIII. So keep that in mind when using the 50D. 

simulacro

Also if you compare the noise of the 400 iso 50d raw vs the 600d's 1600 in h.264, your not comparing the same kind of image. H.264 is mud compared to raw footage

ayshih

mlv_play is back in the nightly builds, as of the latest nightly (magiclantern-Nightly.2014May22.50D109.zip).

a1ex

Quote from: menoc on May 21, 2014, 09:59:08 PM
Low ISO = lower noise.

Compare ISO 100 1/100 f/4 with ISO 800 1/100 f4, both graded to look the same. Which one is noisier? Post the results.

;)

(of course, you can choose other shutter and aperture values, just keep them the same in both images)

chilimac02

Quote from: ayshih on May 22, 2014, 04:24:15 AM
mlv_play is back in the nightly builds, as of the latest nightly (magiclantern-Nightly.2014May22.50D109.zip).

I don't see it, I see 5/21 available in the download section...

ayshih

I can't seem to access the nightly builds right now, but the dates displayed on the webpage are adjusted for your time zone.  The "May22" build has a build date of May 21 in US time zones, so the build you saw probably did have mlv_play in it.

dpjpandone

Here is a screengrab to show what I am describing:

This is shot at f2.0 1250 ISO (1600 pulled down to 1250 with ML-3)
shutter speed is 50, FPS is 23.97

Now this is a scene lit only by a 100w table lamp, but at these settings I can get a great exposure with reasonable level of noise on 600D, is there something wrong with my 50D's sensor? Or is this normal? It looks fine with adequate light, but in low light the noise is unbearable....

BTW, does RAW Video benefit from the iso's pulled down?

Am I just not used to seeing this noise because H.265 clips the shadows and applied a picture profile? Or is this an unusual amount of noise? I really don't know what to expect because I have no experience with this sensor... I see small black blotches that come and go and a strange criss-cross pattern of vertical and horizontal banding. It looks like a defective sensor to me..