Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Try the latest nightly with SRM memory. You should get a lot more frames. Even my slowest card (Transcend 600x) can record continuous 1568x882 and about 17 seconds at full HD (crop).

Use MLV_REC. Make sure to set picture size to raw and no jpeg (-) in the Canon menu. Switch off global draw in the mlv module and leave 'Fix Black Level' OFF (not needed). Disable the functions you don't need (i.e. don't enable vectorscope etc if you don't need it).

@Kolen - 80 mins?  ??? How big is your card?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

kolen

Quote from: Andy600 on July 17, 2014, 11:44:53 AM
Try the latest nightly with SRM memory. You should get a lot more frames. Even my slowest card (Transcend 600x) can record continuous 1568x882 and about 17 seconds at full HD (crop).

Use MLV_REC. Make sure to set picture size to raw and no jpeg (-) in the Canon menu. Switch off global draw in the mlv module and leave 'Fix Black Level' OFF (not needed). Disable the functions you don't need (i.e. don't enable vectorscope etc if you don't need it).

@Kolen - 80 mins?  ??? How big is your card?

In the past people suggests choosing smallest JPEG but not RAW in the Canon menu. Does the newest nightly change it?

For the newest nightly (magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul17.50D109) it seems in crop mode it gives me occasional pink frames but I am checking if it is the card issue or newest nightly issue.

I tried recording at the lowest possible settings, so it stress on the Live View and the stability of the software, and overheat but not including a huge write speed, in that case I got 80 min.
Yesterday night I tried recording at 1982X992 which is at about 80MB/s and the card heated up the sensor much quicker. But I can still record RAW video untill card full on 128GB 1050X Komputerbay, which just over 24 minutes. By the end of the recording though, there's a warning saying something like "FPS warning, overheat", etc. (wait, now I start worrying if I overheated the sensor too much so that it gives me pink frame even when it's cooled down?)

Edit: I just finished recording a video of 1568X656, full sensor 2.39:1, to fill the whole card of 128GB Komputerbay 1050X. The total duration is just below 50 min (by pressing ISO button to reset timer). And the sensor has overheat warning by the end of it.

Edit: I tried it on an older build and it doesn't seem to have the pink frame. However I only recorded a few minutes.
I guess it is the newest nightly that cause the issue. How do I report the bug (after I have more testing)?
Thanks.

Edit: I nailed down the builds that cause the pink frame problem:
Nightly.2014Jul17.50D109 and magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul16.50D109 2nd build.
Using earlier build doesn't seem to have the same problem. e.g. magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul16.50D109 1st build, magiclantern-Nightly.2014Jul15.50D109
The condition is, I use RAW_REC, Expo. Override, Global Draw off, FPS 23.976 exact, RAW Video at 1984X992 in crop mode. Shutter 179 degree, ISO 800, lens with no electronic contact, etc.
And the pink frame will show up quite frequently, and can be seen even in live view.

LEVISDAVIS

07.18.2014 build produces pink frames in crop mode when shooting with RAW + JPEG photo mode enabled & RAW (only) photo mode enabled.

Whether shooting at 24FPS or 30FPS, .RAW, Global Draw turned On or Off, Raw HistoBar On or Off, and SRM On or Off.

Global Draw Turned Off - 24FPS - Crop Mode 1988 at 2:35 pink frames only on the first and last frames.

After experiencing a skipped frame, almost always on first record even with card-warmup enabled, ML takes about 10 seconds to re-enable camera functions. Camera acts frozen and no buttons should be touched.

Note:

** Shooting continuous 2.20:1 at 1984 is possible with a Komputerbay 128GB 1050X. 50D write speeds have increased significantly since last year.**

Processing Side Note / Discovery:

• Shoot with a proper white balance, in camera, and with proper ETTR.

Process .RAW with RawMagic Lite.

Take the image sequence directly into Adobe Media Encoder 2014.
    (ACR is not utilized in processing the DNG files. Basic setting adjustments for Exposure, Tint, and Temperature)

The noise floor is very organic and film-like; similar to the way DaVinci Resolve Lite processes DNG files.
Footage is "grade ready" despite not having highlight recovery.
The white balance looks spot on.
Another fast turn-a-round option like DaVinci, but with no grading potential outside proper white balance, for offline/online ProRes files.
(1405 frames or 1 minute of footage shot at 1984 2:34 upconverted to ProRes4444 @ 3072x1307 in less than 1'45" on a Macbook Pro 15 Retina with OpenCL.)

07.15.2014 build has no pink frames.
Levi S. Davis

kolen

Wow. That was very quick.
I tried developed a 1568X656 @ 23.976 fps, in a total of 437 frames (18s). And importing to After Effects directly, with no other processing except changing the WB. It took my machine about 90s to process it. I have a GTX 660 with CUDA driver installed on a Mac.
Is it because my AE is too old? I'm using CS6. And what exactly do you mean "ACR is not utilized"?

LEVISDAVIS

After Effects relies on Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to process the DNG files.
Adobe Encoder 2014 and maybe Adobe Encoder CS6 bypasses ACR to process DNG files. The processing speeds are two completely different beasts.

Importing DNG image sequences directly into Adobe Encoder 2014 provides the ability to bypass Adobe Camera Raw and yet it still produces a usable image based on simple exposure, tint, and temperature adjustments (no highlight recovery or shadow compensation).

In other words ACR is not optimized for Cuda or Open CL. AE is always so slow at exporting footage. DaVinci has been capable of exporting the 1586x? at around 10 - 20 FPS using single node processing. AE is about 1 - 5 frames depending upon certain ACR settings. Anyway, by finding a way to convert DNG into MOV using Open CL or Cuda definitely produces quicker results.

Not sure if Adobe Encoder CS6 has the option for Open GL or Cuda optimization upon export or if it can even import DNG image sequences directly into the encoder?
Levi S. Davis

TrueIndigo

This sounds interesting. Have you seen any "exposure flickering" using Media Encoder which could be noticeable with some footage processed with ACR?

x4kep

My tests (card Transcend 16GB 600x TS16GCF600)
Tragic Lantern build mar 3 2014

Max Resolution
full mode - 1584x1056 (16:9 1584x892)
crop mode - 2000x1080

Raw_rec (mlv_rec always gives the worst result)
Crop mode 1920x1080 24fps

no raw, s-jpg2
GD on - 13s
GD off - 17s

s-raw2, no jpg
GD on - 11s
GD off - 15s

no pink frames or other artifacts

Magic Lantern build jul 18 2014

Max Resolution
full mode - 1568x1046 (16:9 1568x882)
crop mode - 1984x1080

Raw_rec (mlv_rec always gives the worst result)
Crop mode 1920x1080 24fps

SRM on
no raw, s-jpg2
GD on - 19s
GD off - 25s

s-raw2, no jpg
GD on - 19s
GD off - 27s

SRM off
no raw, s-jpg2
GD on - 11s
GD off - 15s

s-raw2, no jpg
GD on - 10s
GD off - 13s

always two pink frame each shot

Why in TL raw modules max resolution higher, than ML? (1584x1056 vs 1568x1046 & 2000x1080 vs 1984x1080)

ML raw module with SRM (jul 18 2014) give better recording time, but have pink frames and lower max resolution, than TL raw module (mar 3 2014)

ayshih

Quote from: x4kep on July 19, 2014, 11:22:54 AM
Why in TL raw modules max resolution higher, than ML? (1584x1056 vs 1568x1046 & 2000x1080 vs 1984x1080)
The resolution choices were constrained to certain multiples on 2014 Mar 14 due to crashes on newer cameras.  For maximum code portability, and in case there were subtle issues not yet encountered on older cameras, this constraint was applied to all cameras.  See:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/438/raw-recording-force-line-size-to-be/diff
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg106087#msg106087
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

LEVISDAVIS

Not going to find any flickering using the Adobe Encoder 2014 "quick-processing" technique.

1045 DNG images at 1984x844. Files converted onto internal Macbook Pro SSD using RawMagic Lite. Adobe Encoder 2014 renders to UHD 3840x1634 ProRes Proxy in 56 seconds. Converting to ProRes HQ takes 1'14." It's a "grade-able" start point too if you process the footage in camera properly.

Direct Comparison to ACR reveals very poor aliasing, natural color calibration, great noise floor, and just enough dynamic range to really give it a good grade.

Seems like the concept of upscaling should be left in the hands of ACR.
Levi S. Davis

handbanana

Hey guys so a couple questions.

(1) How do I shoot at ISO 6400 or 12800? I set ISO to 6400 in camera and it says 6400 but it looks the same in-camera. RawMagic sees it as ISO 6400 in the metadata (.MLV) but then in Resolve it still looks the same as a clip shot in ISO 3200. And 12800 doesnt register in-camera. It does if I turn exposure override off but then the camera also does a bunch of crazy stuff.

(2) How well does Dual ISO work on the 50D and how would I go about processing the files on a Mac?

djfremen

Forgive the ignorance if this has been answered but with the new developments with SRM, are we to consider this only affects record duration and not raster size? Will the 50D always be locked at 1500+ in normal, non zoomed mode or are we expecting full frame someday? Also, has any done a side by side comparison with the 50D with and without VAF?

handbanana

the 15xx frame size is the full width of the sensor, it's not a crop.

handbanana

I can't get dual iso to run in video mode for the life of me, but i can see the lines in RAW photos >_< help!

Edit: I was able to enable it on my 60D

ayshih

Quote from: handbanana on July 20, 2014, 12:11:17 AM
(1) How do I shoot at ISO 6400 or 12800? I set ISO to 6400 in camera and it says 6400 but it looks the same in-camera. RawMagic sees it as ISO 6400 in the metadata (.MLV) but then in Resolve it still looks the same as a clip shot in ISO 3200. And 12800 doesnt register in-camera. It does if I turn exposure override off but then the camera also does a bunch of crazy stuff.
This is undoubtedly because ISOs 6400 and 12800 are not "real" ISOs (i.e., with different amplifier settings), but are digital manipulations of the raw data.  RAW recording skips such manipulation.

Quote from: handbanana on July 20, 2014, 12:11:17 AM
(2) How well does Dual ISO work on the 50D and how would I go about processing the files on a Mac?
Dual ISO photos work fine.  One way to process files on a Mac, at least if you use Lightroom, is to use this plugin:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11056.0

Quote from: handbanana on July 20, 2014, 01:32:24 AM
I can't get dual iso to run in video mode for the life of me, but i can see the lines in RAW photos >_< help!
Dual ISO does not yet work for video on the 50D.  Here's a comment from a1ex:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9852.msg112609#msg112609

Quote from: djfremen on July 20, 2014, 12:14:16 AM
Forgive the ignorance if this has been answered but with the new developments with SRM, are we to consider this only affects record duration and not raster size? Will the 50D always be locked at 1500+ in normal, non zoomed mode or are we expecting full frame someday?
The SRM improvements give more memory, but the current maximum resolution for RAW recording is a consequence of using the LV feed.  There may be some hope in the future with the recent discovery of full-resolution silent pictures (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.0), but much more investigation needs to be done.

handbanana

"Dual ISO does not yet work for video on the 50D.  Here's a comment from a1ex:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9852.msg112609#msg112609"

Thanks for the reply, how weird that it would be different than on a 60D, etc. I guess I can always do short shots with 13+ DR on that >_< lol

drkamikaze

Quote from: kolen on July 03, 2014, 02:46:23 AM
I override it to 23.976 and exact. Is there some limitation on fps override in crop mode? I googled and find people saying in crop mode I shouldn't be using exact. I tried the low jello and 180d option, it gives me 44s of 1920X1080 video in crop mode (Lexar 64GB, 1066X). I did it again and find out it stops when it starts the 2nd file span. So the first file is 4GB and the next 3xxMB and stops. I think may be it's just the card is too slow. Is it?
Many thanks!

Edit: I followed this blog: http://altcinema.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/magic-lantern-setup-settings-and-shooting-raw-hd-on-the-50d-2/ , which in itself is following by a suggestion in MagicLantern, to format the card in a specific way. I can now get about 2 MB/s more. But sustainable 1920X1080 is still not possible. After the first spanned files it stops at 65s (in using the low jello option). But I can get sustainable video in crop at 1920 width with 1.85:1 aspect ratio with 23.976fps and low jello. This allows me to record until card full.

Hey Koren,

I wrote the above blog, but hadn't yet updated some of the recommended settings, including to use RAW + no jpeg. I finally just did so.

I think you already figured this out, but for everyone else, supposedly these are the recommended Canon menu settings (please advise anyone if this is out of date):

Image Quality = Raw
Auto Lighting Optimizer = OFF
Long exp. noise reduction = OFF
High ISO speed NR = OFF
Highlight tone priority = OFF
Multiple Exposure = Disable
HDR Mode = Disable HDR

kyrobb

Any chance that we will soon be able to record Raw video at 1080 outside of crop mode now that full-res silent pictures has become a reality?

ayshih

It's a possibility, but definitely not "soon", and not without some more breakthroughs.  From the relevant thread:

Quote from: a1ex on July 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM
Limitations

- The fastest shutter speed I've got is around 1/10 seconds (very rough estimation by comparing brightness from a regular picture). With regular pictures, faster speeds are done via mechanical shutter actuation.
- Long exposures are fine up to 15 seconds (longer exposures will crash the camera).
- Fastest capture speed: 220ms on 5D3, 320ms on 5D2. This includes a dummy readout, which is probably a bias frame.
- So, at least for now, the usefulness is limited to timelapse and medium-long exposures (no moving subjects).
4K video?

Too early to ask. Find a way to speed up the capture process first (see the research section below).

However, I don't really expect more than 10 fps (in LV crop mode on 5D3, 1/3.6 of the total sensor area is sampled at 30fps). If you implement a burst mode from the current code base, you'll get up to 5 fps.
Research
- figure out how to speed up the capture process (maybe without the dummy capture step, or find out how to trigger the continuous readout mode)
- figure out how to get fast shutter speeds, as in LiveView (electronic shutter)

dsManning

Thanks for getting those stubs ayshih. Just built with fullres silent pics and it is working great. Sadly not a cloud in the sky for a timelapse tonight.

villasmanzanillo

First Raw 50D video. All edited and encoded in davinci 11 beta 2. what do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/kF3SbJ5-7-4

EVZML

Quote from: villasmanzanillo on July 23, 2014, 09:27:40 AM
First Raw 50D video. All edited and encoded in davinci 11 beta 2. what do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/Bwou0Pu3bsQ

Looks really sharp and detailed! But I think you should spend some more time on color correction. Also, I would definitly use a stabilizer system for shots like this. You can get them for less than $100 on eBay, Amazon, or asian websites...

What was your workflow?

villasmanzanillo

@EVZML

Thanks.
This videos im making are not for the people of vimeo and movie gurus etc, this videos are more for people that want to go to the beach and see a happy colours and vibrancy, thats what im trying to achieve. this is what i would like my videos to look like http://www.flykam.com.au/real-estate-videos-tours/2-tully-court-kuranda-vanessa-robinson-lj-hooker/  if you have any suggestions in how to achieve those looks its greatly appreciated. all the corrections im doing are in resolve and im new at it.

The stabiliser i use its the steady tracker ultra lite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaeGMOEJ1zY
i know is not the best but it fits my wallet,and its extremely easy so set and use, i know how to use it better now, this video its really old, i never got around editing it.  i wanna get the CAME 7500 gimbal, which its amazing but cost 1,200 USD. so still waiting to have the money.
Workflow its convert the RAW/MLV with MLRAWVIEWR (is raw magic better or another software better, i use mac pro) then use those files directly in resolve. i don't apply any LUTS since some colourist in blackmagic design forum says that it degrees the quality of the footage. (i was using the EOSHD 5dmark 3 LUT before) i did all the edit in resolve and transitions and text etc.
I did sharpening by separating luma and chroma (black and white and color) and sharpening a lil but the black and white and in the color node get rid of some noise with the opposite of sharpening tool.
my timeline was done in 1920 x 1080 and then the output was crop to 1920 x 804 with h264 codec in the highest setting and it gave me a file of 990mb. sound was on AAC.

EVZML

@villasmanzanillo: They got really beatuful smooth shots. Thats it. Maybe you should spend some time on your stabilizer system. Make some tests and look how you can get the best resolutions. And LUTs...I heard (and see) the OSIRIS LUTs by VisionColor are really good. Maybe you should check them out.

To everybody in this forum: Is there any way, or any existing magic lantern version, that can record over 30fps video (RAW or H.264)?
Thanks!

dsManning

Can't go over 30fps on the 50D.

lionelp

Quote from: villasmanzanillo on July 23, 2014, 11:31:05 PM
@EVZML

Thanks.
This videos im making are not for the people of vimeo and movie gurus etc, this videos are more for people that want to go to the beach and see a happy colours and vibrancy, thats what im trying to achieve. this is what i would like my videos to look like http://www.flykam.com.au/real-estate-videos-tours/2-tully-court-kuranda-vanessa-robinson-lj-hooker/  if you have any suggestions in how to achieve those looks its greatly appreciated. all the corrections im doing are in resolve and im new at it.

Looks good to me! :)
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s