Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilK

Quote from: EVZML on July 02, 2014, 06:05:56 AM
Thanks PhilK! What is the biggest CF card size that I can use for installing ML ?
So before I spend 10 bucks on a cheap card just for installing, I would get another smaller Komputerbay card.
32GB? 64GB?

I also heard the 1050x 64GB Komputerbay card is faster then the 1050x 128GB Komputerbay card, is that true? Because it says the same write speed...

And does the 50D now have a playback module for playing back raw videos?

Thanks for all the help! :)

I *think* the biggest is 64GB, but I would check this as it's been a while since I had to do this.

If the 1050x Komputerbay cards are the same as the 1000x ones then the 64GB is faster, but again might be best to check the other forums to confirm this as I've not used the newer card.

I use my 2GB card for trying out latest ML versions so it does get some use though, as well as some pictures sometimes - so it's not a total waste.

EVZML

OK, thanks! So I think I should order a 1050x 128GB Komputerbay CF card today...

What about my other question - does the 50D has a RAW video (or MLV) playback module?

kolen

I can't get 1920X1080 from Lexar 1066x 64GB card. Am I normal? I heard people saying the 1000x and 1050x are faster than 1066x. Is it correct?
Thanks.

simulacro

Are you in 3x crop mode? that's the only way to get 1920x1080

kolen

Hey, my bad. I was not writing clearly enough.

I am able to take 1920X1080 movie, but it can only sustain for at most about 20s in different ways I tried. Both RAW_REC and MLV_REC, and also all the buffer methods.
I am thinking if the card is too slow. Since I heard reports saying 1050x actually is faster than 1066x as far as Canon 5D Mark III is concerned. And I think I heard people can get 1920X1080 from 1000x, I might be wrong though.

kolen

I tried in full sensor mode for continuous record and RAW_REC can record until card full, which is about 24:40 for 64GB at 1568X656
MLV_REC however consistently gives me problem and often crash. When it can go continuous, It usually crash at 5:40.

PhilK

Quote from: EVZML on July 02, 2014, 07:34:54 AM
OK, thanks! So I think I should order a 1050x 128GB Komputerbay CF card today...

What about my other question - does the 50D has a RAW video (or MLV) playback module?

Yep, look in the Raw Video sub menu and you should see an option for playback if there's something on the card - there is for Raw, not sure about MLV as I don't use it.

simulacro

Quote from: kolen on July 02, 2014, 12:32:23 PM
Hey, my bad. I was not writing clearly enough.

I am able to take 1920X1080 movie, but it can only sustain for at most about 20s in different ways I tried. Both RAW_REC and MLV_REC, and also all the buffer methods.
I am thinking if the card is too slow. Since I heard reports saying 1050x actually is faster than 1066x as far as Canon 5D Mark III is concerned. And I think I heard people can get 1920X1080 from 1000x, I might be wrong though.

fps override?

kolen

I override it to 23.976 and exact. Is there some limitation on fps override in crop mode? I googled and find people saying in crop mode I shouldn't be using exact. I tried the low jello and 180d option, it gives me 44s of 1920X1080 video in crop mode (Lexar 64GB, 1066X). I did it again and find out it stops when it starts the 2nd file span. So the first file is 4GB and the next 3xxMB and stops. I think may be it's just the card is too slow. Is it?
Many thanks!

Edit: I followed this blog: http://altcinema.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/magic-lantern-setup-settings-and-shooting-raw-hd-on-the-50d-2/ , which in itself is following by a suggestion in MagicLantern, to format the card in a specific way. I can now get about 2 MB/s more. But sustainable 1920X1080 is still not possible. After the first spanned files it stops at 65s (in using the low jello option). But I can get sustainable video in crop at 1920 width with 1.85:1 aspect ratio with 23.976fps and low jello. This allows me to record until card full.

Tullen

Quote from: EVZML on July 02, 2014, 07:34:54 AM

I would be careful before ordering the 128 GB card. There has been a lot of reports on bad speeds on these. Make sure you read at least some of the threads that discuss this before you order. I went for two 64 GB cards just to be safe.

simulacro

Quote from: kolen on July 03, 2014, 02:46:23 AM
I override it to 23.976 and exact. Is there some limitation on fps override in crop mode? I googled and find people saying in crop mode I shouldn't be using exact. I tried the low jello and 180d option, it gives me 44s of 1920X1080 video in crop mode (Lexar 64GB, 1066X). I did it again and find out it stops when it starts the 2nd file span. So the first file is 4GB and the next 3xxMB and stops. I think may be it's just the card is too slow. Is it?
Many thanks!

Edit: I followed this blog: http://altcinema.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/magic-lantern-setup-settings-and-shooting-raw-hd-on-the-50d-2/ , which in itself is following by a suggestion in MagicLantern, to format the card in a specific way. I can now get about 2 MB/s more. But sustainable 1920X1080 is still not possible. After the first spanned files it stops at 65s (in using the low jello option). But I can get sustainable video in crop at 1920 width with 1.85:1 aspect ratio with 23.976fps and low jello. This allows me to record until card full.

Unfortunately I have no experience with fast cards. I use two 400x Sandisk Extreme cards, that work fine for what I want (also no money for more cards :P )

kolen

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on June 27, 2014, 02:43:03 PM
@kolen: with the latest tragic build it is technically possible to fullfill any card size with continuous raw video. On the other hand, so much time you indicated brings so much heat buildup  that record will stop. Also, battery  cannot last so much time in raw mode, even with a battery grip. For these reasons, no one so far tried to see if there would be audio sync problems  for so much recording time.
Since I bought one I tried it today about battery life and found out one single Canon battery will gives me about 71 minutes of recording time. The settings is in a Full sensor mode with 2.39:1 ratio at 23.976 fps exact.
Since I only have 64GB Lexar 1066x card the card will be full when 24:40 min of videos has taken. I restarted it each time until battery dies.
What I am planning to do is to get a 128GB Komputerbay card and see if I can get continuous 49:20 min of videos. I have seen the camera becomes too hot and have a warning signal. But only after prolonged usage. And let's see the upper limit of continuous video it can do.

kolen

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 01, 2014, 03:15:32 PM
Yes. In reality it is a 4gb limit, that using h264 is reached in 12mins. Raw does not have this limitation but there is a 30min timeout hardcoded into the canera that shuts down the lcd screen and so it stops raw recording. No ML overrideable. However, at any decent resolution, recording raw will fill up any nowadays most biggest cf cards far before reaching the 30mins limit...
I almost forgot about what you've said. I just tried to record a RAW Video at low resolution and it stops at 29:48. So there's indeed a 30min timeout. Do you know if the 30 min count down started from the moment I record movie or the moment I started liveview? Are there anyway I can do (e.g. go into the menu while recording) to fool the camera to reset the 30 min timeout during movie recording?
Thanks.

dlrpgmsvc

@kolen : when 30 secs countdown starts I dunno. Also I didn't tried to go into the menu trying to fool  and reset the timer because I don't have a large enough card. Can you try and report? It would be very interesting! Many thanks if you can!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

PhilK

I've just done a quick test, normal timelapse but at 25 mins flicked the menu button.

F*ck me!!

My battery wasn't fully charged but the 50D stopped at about 38.46 mins when it ran out of juce - so it's definitely recorded longer than normal!!

Fantastic idea, i wonder if the Devs can just blip the menu display just before 30 mins to make it continuous without touching the camera?

dlrpgmsvc

Great philk! Yeah! And great kolen for your idea! I think devs could try to implement this menu call to prolong recording! Please, chime in someone! :-)

kolen

Thanks all!

I was testing the idea last night but sadly it crashes and then I tried it again and it is overheated. So I decided to sleep first and test it again today.
But good to know someone else has done it already and it works!

One question:
Taking longer video make it more likely to have crash somewhere in between. I have occasionally crashed some clip. And I am not able to extract the DNG from it. I think the problem is the end of file. I tried to merge all the spanned files by CAT in terminal but it still doesn't work. No converters will recognize it (and I tried all listed in Magic Lantern Wiki, RAW Video page).
I find a site: http://www.conorcunningham.net/blog/2014/4/10/magic-lantern-missing-end-of-file
But its solution is rather technical.
Have anyone experience crashed videos (crashes in the middle of recording) and successfully extract them?
Thanks.

Edit:
here's another question: are there anyway to put the 30 min timer on screen so that we can quickly test which operations would reset the timer? I am thinking may be even if we press the ISO button (but not changing it) would do it too.
I just recorded a RAW Video longer than 30 min (up to 80 min and more and the sensor starts overheated and I stopped it). Since I don't know which button would do it, I pressed the Magic Lantern Menu button (trash), the ISO, and also the White Balance. From my testing, pressing the Canon Menu button or the playback button would stop the recording.
Edit:
I find that pressing ISO button alone can make the video surpass 30 min. I guess actually the 30 min. limit came from the sleep mode, since the longest time we can set for sleep is 30 min. As long as I press something it won't sleep.

Bug Report:
I find that consistently in 10x mode it will crashes very soon (~dozens of seconds). I am using the latest nightly build from July 2nd.

PhilK

I've just posted what we found out about the 30 min limit in the main Dev area as there's not been any replies for a few days here - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12594.0

dlrpgmsvc

Good job PhilK! Many thanks!

kolen

Hope that you don't mind me repeating the question: does anyone know how to extract DNG from a corrupted ML RAW file (due to, e.g., crash during record, battery drained, card full, etc.)

LEVISDAVIS

... All of the DNGs are inside the wrapped MLV or RAW file... It will take a hex editor to replace the missing information in order to extract the DNG images. Once completing the hex editor footer replacement you'll be ready to process the original MLV or RAW file on your regular DNG extractor application.

Take a look back at page 3 of the 50D topic... There are a couple of entries that I wrote explaining the process of fixing damaged footers.
Levi S. Davis

kolen

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on July 12, 2014, 09:54:44 PM
... All of the DNGs are inside the wrapped MLV or RAW file... It will take a hex editor to replace the missing information in order to extract the DNG images. Once completing the hex editor footer replacement you'll be ready to process the original MLV or RAW file on your regular DNG extractor application.

Take a look back at page 3 of the 50D topic... There are a couple of entries that I wrote explaining the process of fixing damaged footers.
Thanks! That's helpful. I didn't know it was so close (I clicked the first page and next pages to skim through but didn't notice it).
I wonder if such information should be put in the wiki for better access?

EVZML

My 50D was delivered today. I had much fun getting my 64GB 1050x Komputerbay card running (my antivir doesn't let me download EOScard tool) - but OK it's running now.
My first questions:

-I'm in RAW movie mode, 1568x882. sometimes it says:
55.3mbs at 24.001p. Expect around 0 frames at 46.4mb/s
and sometimes it says:
55.3mb/s at 24.001p. continous recording ok.

So why do I get different results every time I do into the menu? And is my card really to slow? I mean it's the 1050x 64GB, that should be fast...

-other question: I think I read somewhere that you can record short raw videos in FULL HD resolution, it just stops after few seconds. But everytime I wanna change to somewhere over 1568x882, it says for example:
1920 is not possible in current video mode (max 1568).
So how can I record short raw video files with a higher resolution?

-And, by the way, what is better for the EOS 50D - RAW or MLV ?

Hope somebody can help me...thanks!  :)

dsManning

The expected results are based on your last recording speed (I think). Don't pay too much attention to them.

For 1920 recording, use the button on the top right of your camera to go into 5x crop in LiveView. Once you are in that video mode, 1920 resolutions are available to record at. With my 1000x and 1066x cards, I can record continuous 2.35.1 ratio at 1920.

One of the main selling points of .mlv over .raw is sound recording. The 50D has no sound input. However the metadata stored with each frame in .mlv is a very nice improvement over .raw

kolen

Quote from: EVZML on July 16, 2014, 11:13:20 PM
My 50D was delivered today. I had much fun getting my 64GB 1050x Komputerbay card running (my antivir doesn't let me download EOScard tool) - but OK it's running now.
My first questions:

-I'm in RAW movie mode, 1568x882. sometimes it says:
55.3mbs at 24.001p. Expect around 0 frames at 46.4mb/s
and sometimes it says:
55.3mb/s at 24.001p. continous recording ok.

So why do I get different results every time I do into the menu? And is my card really to slow? I mean it's the 1050x 64GB, that should be fast...

-other question: I think I read somewhere that you can record short raw videos in FULL HD resolution, it just stops after few seconds. But everytime I wanna change to somewhere over 1568x882, it says for example:
1920 is not possible in current video mode (max 1568).
So how can I record short raw video files with a higher resolution?

-And, by the way, what is better for the EOS 50D - RAW or MLV ?

Hope somebody can help me...thanks!  :)
It might be because the card speed varies quite a lot. So it used the last write speed to help you to determine if you can record at a certain setting continuously or not. But since the speed varies, from time to time you might get a different suggestion from the manual.
Also try setting the fps to exact. It would be better if you use multicam (so that they share the same 23.976).

I don't know if it is just me or not (I am a newbie and bought a 50D a month earlier than you), but the MLV_REC seems more unstable than the RAW_REC for me at least. For MLV_REC the 50D crashed at about 5:40 of recording but for the RAW_REC I can get up to 80 min. (and ends because of overheat, not crashing).