Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank7D

Canon Amateur, if you don't mind my asking, what build did you use?

Canon Amateur

The latest Nightly build available at that time - magiclantern-Nightly.2016Jul09.7D203

I'll post my settings later when I get home.
Canon EOS 7D / Canon 1D Mark III / Lytro illum

dawn_to_dusk_

Hi.

I've just saw that maybe ML is available to Canon 7d Mk2: magiclantern-Nightly.2016Aug15.7D203.zip

Is this for real? Or this build is for 7D Mk1 ?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Cams with ML (Nightly Builds): Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> Select your camera.
Or
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/

dawn_to_dusk_

Dear Walter Schulz,

Sorry. Maybe I'm very noob. My question is 7D203 means 7D software version 203 or is a firmware to canon 7D mk2?

Thanks

Avenger 2.0

Quote from: dawn_to_dusk_ on August 17, 2016, 05:06:36 PM
Hi.

I've just saw that maybe ML is available to Canon 7d Mk2: magiclantern-Nightly.2016Aug15.7D203.zip

Is this for real? Or this build is for 7D Mk1 ?

Thanks
7d203 is magic lantern for 7d 2.03 firmware.

Whizkid

Hello Guys.

I´m pretty new to ML even though a mate of mine is using it for quite a while now (I´m shooting photos / raw only - but find the features pretty nice so I have just installed ML on my 7D).

My Question:

-What temperatures are you having while taking raw pictures?
-Is it normal that the right side of my Camera body where the battery grip sits in became pretty warm in just a few minutes (ML showed 52°C) ?

-Im using the recent Nightly Built from 06.09.2016

Thank you for your answers!

PaulHarwood856

Quote1728x692 48 fps slow mo. But wait a minute... When I play it back, the footage is normal aspect, no stretching required! I'm kinda running on no sleep in 2 days, I need someone to confirm this ASAP. I noticed when I set the cam to 1280x720 60p, and set the fps override to 23.976 exact fps, the liveview display was stretched vertically, so when recording it and playing it back records it in normal aspect! Timer A under 23.976 exact is 422 (FT -76). So I set the fps to 48, and Timer A back to 422. Mlv settings-
1728x692
3:2
GD Off
Canon preview
256 MB warmup
SRM On
Hacks on
4 buffers
Reserve on
Global Draw off
Expo override on

Rokinon 35mm manual cine lens

After messing with it a little bit more, the black and white levels get all wacky sometimes and the exposure is super glitchy. At first, I noticed this while testing out different settings in 640x480 mode, going to do some more tests soon as I charge my battery.

:edit: Yeah definitely a bug in the fps override control. I just downloaded the latest nightly, same thing. How exactly does fps override cause LV to stretch? Or is this a new feature I completely missed?!

:edit2: Ok, just figured out that this bug has been in the nightly since 7d fps override was implemented.

:edit3: To fix this issue, Timer A needs to be set to 498 (FT +76) for 23.976 exact and 440 (FT +10) for 60 exact.

I have confirmed this works! Thank you so much N/A!

I have provided a Google Drive Link to a folder with screenshots, pictures, and videos showing the beauty of this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz5n0qYxIkVOMnJMeWhkU3pMVjQ?usp=sharing

The videos are of my cat in my room, handheld at 50mm. Sorry for the shakiness, I just wanted to test this out with the time I had. I was able to record for 15 seconds.

If anyone has any questions, or can't get to the link please let me know. Thank you to all the Magic Lantern Developers, this is truly awesome!

- Paul Harwood

Macke1

Ive just bought a 7d markii and i didn´t realise that ML wont work?? is it impossible or will it going to work some day?

nikfreak

It's rather "some day". ETA can't be given.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Macke1

sorry don´t no what you mean ETA?

ddelreal

It means "Estimated Time of Arrival."

PaulHarwood856

Hello ML Community,

As regards to the 7D 48.033 fps no squeezing bug, here is a link via Google Drive with clips that have sound working, water pouring for testing in your editing applications, and screenshots of how to export properly via SmartImport2 Script in After Effects. For 1728 x 692, in SmartImport2 it is necessary when resizing to keep the width at 100%, but the height at 60%

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz5n0qYxIkVOZ2d4Z1hDVWlfUXc?usp=sharing

I hope this helps anyone interesting in using this great feature!

- Paul Harwood

Marsu42

Yay, I've just bought a reasonably priced near-mint condition 7d1 to replace my 60d which failed with 330k shutter cycles. Are there any active devs left on the 7d1 except for Alex, or has the world moved on by now?

General comment: I have to say I'm impressed, the 7d1 has everything I miss from the 80d for my photography (sturdy shutter, af point expansion, spot af) and most modern updates are jpeg- or movie-centered an don't matter to a still raw shooter like me. Only the lack of suport for rt flashes is unfortunate. As for the sensor, dual_iso fixes the low dr, for most of my lenses 18mp is 'nuff and if I'd want to have better iq I'd rather put my money into a 2nd full frame camera like a used 5d2/3. Or wait for 5d4's dual pixel tech with bokeh and focus point shift to make it into the lower realms.

Quote from: Macke1 on October 01, 2016, 08:27:02 PM
Ive just bought a 7d markii and i didn´t realise that ML wont work?? is it impossible or will it going to work some day?

This is the 7d1 thread, someone please change the title, here's the 7d2 one: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13746.0

Quote from: dawn_to_dusk_ on August 18, 2016, 01:52:28 AM
My question is 7D203 means 7D software version 203 or is a firmware to canon 7D mk2?

Even a minor fw update with just the Korean strings changed needs someone to find all hardcoded stub addresses in the Canon fw again which is a boring and lengthy pita. For what is changed this is definitely not worth it, just downgrade to 2.0.3

Firmware Version 2.0.5 incorporates the following fix.
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the image files cannot be transferred using the FTP protocol via USB cable after the EOS 7D camera has established a wireless connection to the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5 (A/B/C/D).

Brawl

hi guys! what happens if I connect  my 7D to external monitor via hdmi mini whyle using magic lantern? will it works? I wish too see my liveview on a biggest screen because I need help to focus. I hope that if connecting 7D to an external monitor I will be able to see magic lantern global draw features (such as focus peaking) on the second display. let me know please! :)

DeafEyeJedi

@Brawl -- Sure you can use Global Draw (such as Focus Peak) while using an external monitor (though it wont be as pretty) and you also won't be able to see anything on the LiveView LCD display (only 5D3 is capable of doing this while running ML) as you can see what it looks like below on the 7D...

https://vimeo.com/192498227
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

Your noise levels look a bit too high - may I see a silent DNG taken with the same settings?

The spike on the histogram at 00:21 is definitely not normal. Most likely this issue - something to be aware of when using an external monitor.

DeafEyeJedi

Sure, will do -- the video posted above was shot in a living room at the house before leaving for work earlier this morning.

Now while I'm at work and have the 7D w me not sure if this would be problematic since it's not exactly the same scenery ... Took a few Silent DNG's while in Video Mode mv720 (did you want me to also take some while in Photo mode w LiveView -- also does FRSP apply in here or no need?) and here are these files below and yes they are in the same settings from earlier.

https://mega.nz/#F!i9V3EJTb!MVpTR55q-_nb6TDZguIgqQ
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

Hm, different column offsets at higher ISO in optical black area. Don't remember seeing this on other cameras.

If these don't appear in the final image (can't tell from this sample), the only side effect would be overestimating the noise levels (which translates to underestimating the actual dynamic range on the raw histogram).

If they do, a dark frame should remove them.

nikfreak

an unofficial test build w/o any warrants for those who want to give raw_rec.mo a try on 7D with 10bt:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Mu66yg5QzRSXFVREkzZkYwYzQ/view?usp=sharing

have fun.

Feedback for this better provided in the official development thread for bit depth reduction for not becoming offtopic:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg175495;topicseen#msg175495

And if there' s already test buildsfloating around elsewhere then I missed it and you can sratch this.

Brawl

@DeafEyeJedi thank you very much for your video.
when you shoor raw video and you are using the external monitor do you get tearing on your footage? because the link that @alex has posted  (https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13817.msg173472#msg173472) seems to suggest this problem, that if we use an external monitor with raw video on 7d could cause footage ruined by tearing. the solution seems be to force the low resolution for hdmi output. do you need to use this technique? thx!

nikfreak

FYI: Canon released firmware 2.0.6 for 7D.
Also there's 1.3.4 available now for 5D Mk3  :P

Probably other cams got an update, too.

flofifull

Quote from: nikfreak on November 26, 2016, 11:54:18 AM
an unofficial test build w/o any warrants for those who want to give raw_rec.mo a try on 7D with 10bt:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Mu66yg5QzRSXFVREkzZkYwYzQ/view?usp=sharing

have fun.

Feedback for this better provided in the official development thread for bit depth reduction for not becoming offtopic:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5601.msg175495;topicseen#msg175495

And if there' s already test buildsfloating around elsewhere then I missed it and you can sratch this.

It's working for me !  Global draw off / Preview Canon / FPS overidde 24.
MLV doesn't play in 7D but it's ok when transcoded to DNG in PC.
50 sec in 2560 x 1200 pixels (10 bit)  :)

nikfreak

Great to read this. Probably you will be able to get a little bit more resolution once a1ex makes the x5-zoom from crop_rec available. I am unsure how much it can be vertically but something around 1300px could be possible?!? Maybe more?

Quote from: a1ex on November 14, 2016, 12:05:07 AM
Found a way to center the raw buffer and Canon's preview window in the "classic" crop mode - the one triggered by x5 zoom. Advantage: higher resolution.....
Resizing Canon preview doesn't seem to work, so for the 5x zoom mode, the preview will be centered, but the coverage will not be exact. At least until somebody figures out how to resize the YUV buffer.

There are hints that raw buffer size might be adjustable in the 5x zoom mode.

(side note: actual crop factor in 5x zoom mode is not 5x - it depends on the raw recording resolution)

flofifull

Quoteonce a1ex makes the x5-zoom from crop_rec available.

It would be great !!