Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennisHahn

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are any significant improvements to the 7D ML that have happened over the last year and a half? I am running a build from October 2014 and because it can run raw w/ audio and is rock solid I am hesitant to update, but I do not know if there have been any image quality improvements or any other must-haves.

I've looked at the last several pages here and in other places but there is so much discussion it's hard to pin down exactly where the software sits right now.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Backup card's ML directory and Autoexec.bin and *.FIR (or just rename them) and copy extracted nightly build contents to card.  Done: You have installed latest nightly build.
Rollback: Delete ML directory and Autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.FIR and copy/rename from backup/copy.
All the changes: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/7D.203/changes

RobH2

Hi, I'm obviously missing something very simple. I can't seem to get ML to install on my 7D that has 2.0.3 installed.

I've read most all of the threads here and it seems to fail to install.

What I've done:
1. Formatted card in camera
2. Copied nightly build to card
3. Run firmware update

The update takes all of 3 seconds and says restart camera. I do so and the menu is the same. Nothing new is available. The Firmware does report the ML firmware. So, I remove the card that I updated from and put in a card to record to. Now my firmware is back to 2.0.3. I thought that maybe I had to put the ML files on every one of my cards. That might be the case. But, even with the ML file card in my camera,  I have no new features.

Then, I made a card bootable with EOSCard and did the same thing. Same results. Nothing updated or changed in my menu or features.

What am I overlooking?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide/FAQ

RobH2

I know, I did read a lot but somehow missed the "push erase button" step. I've found that and it now works. Thanks for tolerating a newbie.

_OLLE_

I going to download ML to my 7d! Is it still only working with canons 2.0.3 firmware? or is it possible to use the 2.0.5 version?

Ottoga

@_OLLE_

ML does not work with v2.0.5.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

_OLLE_

Quote from: Ottoga on May 05, 2016, 03:05:11 AM
@_OLLE_

ML does not work with v2.0.5.

Ok thanks!  :'(

_OLLE_

hi, again! My installation of nightly build from 30 april was sucessful, but I think it missing some features! The maximum MLV.rec is only 1600 and there is now benchmark! Now I wonder if you guys know a stable and good build for video work with ML!?

Best regards Olle!

plasty82

Hello! I have a Canon 7D Magic Lantern installed and running smoothly. One day without realizing pulled the CF memory without turning the camera off , thereafter the camera was turned off and has not returned to work more . It is as if dead , not turn on lights, sounds does nothing . She's dead, you know I can do ? Thank you!

Roberto Mena

I just ordered a Canon 7D from Amazon (just like new) and don't know what firmware version it has til it arrives. My question is this, what if the firmware for the camera was already updated to a higher version than 2.0.3, can I then re-install a lower firmware version, in other words is 2.0.3? Thanks.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: plasty82 on May 11, 2016, 09:55:05 PM
Hello! I have a Canon 7D Magic Lantern installed and running smoothly. One day without realizing pulled the CF memory without turning the camera off , thereafter the camera was turned off and has not returned to work more . It is as if dead , not turn on lights, sounds does nothing . She's dead, you know I can do ? Thank you!

Remove battery, remove card.
Insert battery only.
Startup cam.
Startup okay? If not: LED blinking? LCDs working?
Report back.

_OLLE_

Quote from: Roberto Mena on May 12, 2016, 03:47:38 AM
I just ordered a Canon 7D from Amazon (just like new) and don't know what firmware version it has til it arrives. My question is this, what if the firmware for the camera was already updated to a higher version than 2.0.3, can I then re-install a lower firmware version, in other words is 2.0.3? Thanks.

Yes you can! I did just that a week ago!

Roberto Mena

Thanks _OLLE_ !

pedrotyler

Is anyone else having a problem using the auto restart recording feature on their canon 7D. Mine is restarting without a problem but I cannot stop recording by hitting the record button because it just restarts again. The only way I can get it to stop is by turning off the camera. It did it on an older build but I just updated to magiclantern-Nightly.2016May16.7D203 and it still is not working right. Any ideas?

PaulHarwood856

Hey pedrotyler,

This is occuring with my 7D as well. Have always had this issue with ML installed since last summer. I just turn the camera off, which seems to be the only solution I've found as well.

- Paul Harwood

sgofferj

You have to hit the button a second time. The problem occurs when your record a big file, because the camera pops up that message about the file being split because it's too big. That message triggers the restart of the recording. If you push the button again right after that restart, the recording will stop.
18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

PaulHarwood856

Hey sgofferj,

Can you elaborate? I don't know which button you're talking about. This happens to me regardless of a big file or small file. Thanks.

- Paul Harwood

sgofferj

I meant the start-stop button :).
That's odd that it happens to you with any file size... For me it works perfectly fine for short recordings.
18+ years Linux user, wolf-fan, hobby photographer and -filmmaker
EOS 6D, EOS 7D

PaulHarwood856

Hey sgofferj,

When I hit the start stop button it records, but when I hit stop it keeps recording. I'll have to experiment with the double tap method :)

- Paul Harwood

mbickerdike

Is it possible to install the eos7d-v203-win.zip even though I already went to v2.0.5 or will it brick?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 7D.203
Read and follow instructions.

Roberto Mena

Does anyone know what the 7D's dynamic Range is for shooting RAW/MLV video? According to what I have read online the 5DIII can do 13 stops at this point? And so can the 7D but only on RAW photos, so what is it with video?

Thanks.

dmilligan

Run raw_diag.mo to find out (use simple silent pictures, they are the same data as raw video).

More info here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.0

13 stops is only possible with dual ISO.

Roberto Mena

I started playing with the Auto White Balance feature on ML and I like it because it also seems to do auto exposure ... what I don't like though is that its auto exposure messes with the shutter speed also. I don't mind the auto exposure messing with ISO's but is there a way to do this keeping the shutter speed at 1/50? Thanks.