Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sapporo

#Dombra, read this? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12441.0

No micro switch at the battery hatch or memory card hatch?

dombra

1. Tried with a small screwdriver pressing both small knobs by memory card and battery, nothing :(

2. Tried what said in the thread shared above- deep format the card and remove and insert battery. Did it MANY times no changes. Tried copying firmware on the card and starting camera couple of times still no luck

Tested batteries on other camera, all charged..

I was wondering could I fry the main board or something while updating the firmware?

Walter Schulz

There is something to try:

- Make card bootable using MacBoot (OS X) or EOScard (Windows). If using EOScard: Wipe all contents from card after.
- http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0 1) Copy diagnostic autoexec.bin to card.
- Power off (switch), remove battery. Insert battery, insert card. Close doors. You don't have to power on.
Do you see a diagnostic screen after some seconds? Report back and don't forget to remove battery first, then card!

dombra

Thank you for your reply!

This is what I did:

Check the battery in other camera - shows fully charged
Erase card with disk utility to MS-DOS (Fat), Name UNTITLED
Open Macboot, found the card, set to Make DSLR-bootable, Prepare Card

Card must be FAT16 to make bootable for CHDK
             making FAT32 DSLR-bootable
             Making card scriptable ...

Card has been successfully prepared

Copy autoexec.bin to the card
Eject Card from computer
Take out battery, put battery back in, put card in, close door, wait for 10 sec....nothing :(

Am I doing correctly?

Walter Schulz

Big question now: Was ML installed on your cam or not? Means: This diagnostic works if the cam's bootflag is set.

dombra

My intention was to install ML, but I did not get so far. Camera bricked while I was updating firmware to 2.03

Walter Schulz

Please clarify:
You tried to update Canon firmware with Canon firmware file 7D000203.FIR
or
you tried to install ML on a cam running Canon firmware 2.0.3?

dombra

I tried to update Canon firmware with Canon firmware file 7D000203.FIR

Walter Schulz

This is bad news.

- Remove battery, remove card.
- Select C1/2/3 mode, insert battery and try to startup.
Anything working? LED? Screen?

dombra

Tried doing what you mentioned above, no signs...

Regards McBoot do I have to choose Make DSLR-bootable or Make CHDK-bootable or maybe even some other option, as I got the message

Card must be FAT16 to make bootable for CHDK
             making FAT32 DSLR-bootable
             Making card scriptable ...

Card has been successfully prepared

Walter Schulz

You can discard this message. It makes no difference in this case. If cam's bootflag is not set (part of ML installation) cam will not be able to use a bootable card.

If you excluded problems with compartment switches, there is not that much you can do. There are some resources on the web where people digged into cam's PCBs and reanimated broken cams by replacing blown fuses but I really don't know if it will help in your case.
Others replaced boards on their own with replacements bought from various sources. Be aware you may have to deal with calibration issues then.

Standard recommendation for dealing with this kind of error is contacting Canon service centers.

dombra

ok, gotcha. thats unfortunate but thank you for detailed answer

so you think it is hardware, not software error?

Walter Schulz

No, I don't know what is wrong with your cam.

dombra

Thanks for trying to figure it out!

markus1980

Hello dombra,

I guess the loss of power during FW upgrade bricks the cam.
Better take it to a service center an tell them you want
2.0.3 FW version on it.

Kind regards from Vienna
Markus

Brawl

hi guys, I'm searching for this feature called gradual expo

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/10/magic-lantern-alpha-2-canon-5d-mark-iii

is it avaiable on 7D?

thx

mhz1000a

hello i am looking a feature can shot high speed 2 shot  (not 3) thanks

Walter Schulz

I don't know any "High Speed 3 shot" setting in native Canon menu or ML menu.
I suppose there is something lost in translation.
Please rephrase your request and add your question in your native language, too.

Ottoga

A couple of questions re: raw video recording (MLV and MLV_lite) on a 7D using the latest 24/02/2016 nightlies if I may.

With either of the raw video modules I'm no longer able to select resolutions above the 7D's rated maximum of 1728 x 972. I can highlight them but they won't select. From memory I've been able to do this in the past and capture a few frames before the buffers overflowed and the recording crashed. I'm using 128gb KB 1000x CF cards tested at a continuous write speed of 110 MByte/s so they should be capable of handling anything the 7D can throw at them.

Also, with either of the raw video modules enabled and before starting recording: I am able to enable both 5x and 10x crop modes. 5x crop mode works fine however when I press record start in 10x the message "Raw detected error" or "Raw Defect error" flashes up and disappears really quickly and the recording fails. A 1kb mlv file is created for each attempt.
Is this potentially a bug in ML or is the 7D not capable of 10x crop recording?

I don't do a lot of video but I was trying to generate variety of test MLV_lite files with as many different capture settings as possible. I'm reasonable certain that I have done both of the above scenarios successfully in the (distant) past and was surprised when I couldn't do them today.

Any thoughts, enlightenments, guidance will be much appreciated. If I need to log a bug report just point me in the right direction and I'll get that done.

Thanks in advance.

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Walter Schulz

Higher Resolutions:
Crop mode via ML menu "Crop Mode ON" or in movie mode press 5x. Adjust settings in RAW menu.

10x: Not supported.

Ottoga

@Walter,  thanks it works a treat. I was just doing it back to front.... must be getting old and senile.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

PillsGrabber

Can I record 60fps without being raw? The widest I have is a 28mm lens, and the problem is that it in 5x crop it's like telephoto :/
Also, I can only record raw 1080p (I want 1080p) in 5x, I have a Sandisk 120Mb/s 32Gb card.
I just wanted to know: Can I record 1080p 60fps without being raw or 5x?
Thanks!

fulvio.morelli

Morning, I'm a new entry in the magiclantern world, I want to try to install the magic lantern firmware, I formatted a lexar card, upgrade the firmware from 2.0.0 to 2.0.3 and copy the ML file into CF lexar. Now I only put the Cf into camera and upgrade the firmware? right? and After instalation can I use every CF or only that with ML?
thank you for any answere
Fulvio

Walter Schulz

First page, first post. Follow instructions.
Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ/Install Guide

fulvio.morelli

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 27, 2016, 08:57:52 AM
First page, first post. Follow instructions.
Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ/Installation Guide

Ok thank you, I wanted only sure