Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kryzysord

I understand this is unsafe - RAW recording and sun. High temperature can destroy the body ant card. But it's problem on any Canon with ML. I prefer to use umbrella on sun :P 7D write speed is 60mb/s or 80mb/s?

Walter Schulz

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg135955#msg135955
90 MB/s is just benchmark. Stable recording requires some distance to the edge.

i7i5

Hi there,

I have some problems installing ML on my 7D 2.0.3 .  After a successful installation of ML a text message instructs me to restart my camera. I wait till the power is off. After restarting the cam nothing happens. After switching the power button from off to on there is neither a red blinking LED nor an active display. It's just a black screen. No key is detected if pressing it.

What I did so far:
a) format the CF in the camera
b) deleted all my custom preferences
c) set the camera mode to M
d) tried several builds:
-magiclantern-Nightly.2016Jan14.7D203
- magiclantern-Nightly.2015Dec20.7D203
e) I took out the battery for several minutes and pluged it in again

I reflashed the firmware to 2.0.5 and back to 2.0.3 and did the same procedure starting with a) - had no effect...
My camera restarts after releasing the battery for seconds and formatting the CF-card.

Sometimes I got this error when trying to install directly from the card: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160118/n8pws8cy.jpg.
Installation works fine, if I copy the folders and autoexec manually and start the Update through the EOS Utility. But after restart > black screen

Are there any advices?

Walter Schulz

You cannot use EOS Utility for installing ML. It won't do. EOS Utility will work fine with Canon's native FIR file.

Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
Insert card into cam and startup.
Run firmware update.
After success message restart cam before timeout (60 seconds) sets in.
Press trashcan button.

Report results.

i7i5

ok I followed your steps and end up in getting this error egain: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160118/n8pws8cy.jpg when I try to run the update process.

Walter Schulz

Card type used?
Show contents of card's root.

i7i5

My card is a SanDisk Extreme Compact Flash 16GB 60MB/S.
contents of card's root: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160118/2qjjvfa6.jpg

Walter Schulz

Use EOScard to make card bootable.
Wipe Autoexec.bin, ML directory and *.FIR from card.
Copy extracted nightly build contents to card.
Insert card into cam and startup.
Report results.

i7i5

ok I used EOScard enabling EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK.
Wiped the data and extracted it back again. After inserting the card and turning it on nothing happens. Just a black screen.

Walter Schulz

I suppose nothing happens after pressing trashcan button.
Remove battery, remove card.
Do you have a spare card?

i7i5

yep nothing happens after pressing any button. I don't  have a spare card.

Walter Schulz

Try to get one. 1 GB (or up to 32 GB) will do fine.

i7i5

ok none of my friends uses a CF. So I would have to buy a new card. Is this a ScanDisk problem, should I buy a Lexar instead? - what if ML doesn't work either with the new card?

greetings

Walter Schulz

The cheapest one will do. Slow and outdated 4 GB cards are about 8 Euro here (new). Just ask around local photogs for a used one.

And I tend to cross bridges when I'm there.

kryzysord

If I record RAW can I use hdmi Apurture screen in one time?

i7i5

Just a quick reply regarding to my problem: I bought a new CF card, a Lexar Professional 16GB 1066x. Now it works like a charm!
I thinks it's an issue with old CF cards perhaps. My Scandisk is 6 years old ...

Thanks for the useful help =)

Brawl

@arrinkiiii did you solved the pink dot problem? which is it the latest safe firmware? thx

arrinkiiii

Hi Brawl,

No =/  i think this in the past didn't happen or maybe i never have film in to the sun...  But like sony and blackmagic camera this can be solve with software change.

jman

Quick question PLEASE. I push the zoom button to 5x and then go into the ML menu and set resolution to 2240 16x9. I get about 15 seconds of video. Once this is set is there any way of filming without the 5x zoom on? Kind of makes it hard to compose. Any help with be great. Cheers.

Frank7D

"... is there any way of filming without the 5x zoom on?"

Look here for framing tips (#14 and note 6):
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5451.0

Bear in mind that using the true-frame previews while filming may causing "tearing" of frames due to processor overload.

LEVISDAVIS

Arrinkiiii,

I downloaded your DNG image and put it into Adobe Camera Raw... I noticed that the processing presets were set to "Camera Default" and not "Landscape, Portrait, Faithful, and/or others." The processing presets are located on the tabs adjustment area. It's a pull-down menu.

I think what's happening is that the "Camera Default" preset is putting too much emphasis on highlights and the details stored in the highlights. Switch over to "Landscape or Portrait" and there is no funky banding, stitching, or pink sun at the native exposure values.

FYI; Almost all DNG images, when lowering the highlights far too much, will produce pink sky and pink sun effects. What changing the processing preset does is better defines where shadows, mid-tones, and highlights actually reside.
Levi S. Davis

Mare

Hi

Can someone confirm little bug with LiveView display presets?
If I in movie mode change display preset, the second display preset has two audio meters (see the screen shot).

Tested with magiclantern-Nightly.2015Dec20.7D203
You can find my settings here https://db.tt/jODGmBYw

Best regards

arrinkiiii

Thanks LEVISDAVIS,  I going check  that =)

dombra

Hey guys, I was updating firmware on my 7D to be able to put Magic Lantern on it. Everything was going well, but when I came back in 5min, the camera was off (maybe battery died) and now when I turn on/off there are no signs of life in it. Have read quite a bit about this problem online and tried everything- removing, putting battery in multiple times, changing to different battery (OEM), removing both batteries (the small, clock battery) and letting it sit for couple of hours, with/without lens, different CF cards... but no signs of life, still bricked. Any ideas what else can help or is there a way I can flash firmware myself?

Thanks!

feureau

Btw, what happened to the beep feature when starting or stopping recording? I've been trying to make my 7D beep when I start or stop recording MLVs and I just can't seem to get it to work. It seems the option for that is gone from the ML video section?