Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Concerning compatibility most CF-SD-adapters are just a major PITA. Use CF-card.

F83eric

I can't copy ML program to my CF.
I have no external CF adaptator.
When I try with my 7D connect with cable to my computer, I was unable to write to CF (no right ?)
Is there any option to active this ?

(windows seven 64bits)

Walter Schulz

ansius

Quote from: F83eric on November 15, 2015, 05:00:58 PM
I can't copy ML program to my CF.
I have no external CF adaptator.
When I try with my 7D connect with cable to my computer, I was unable to write to CF (no right ?)
Is there any option to active this ?

(windows seven 64bits)

Get card reader - that is the only solution! you cant copy ml trough camera, and from my experience you should always use card reader to read as well, have had problems with ML cards and usb file download.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

F83eric

Hi
Thank you for your response.
I get card reader.

After I have installed ML

Is it possible for me to replace my CF with my SD card and adaptor ? Is it necessary to copy more file on SD card ?

If no, is it a problem to use some time ML with my CF, and start my camera without ML with my SD ?

Eric

Walter Schulz

Never tried to use CF-SD adapters for ML. So you have to find out.

You have to make SD-card bootable by using EOScard/Macboot.
Then wipe card's content and copy extracted nightly build content to card.

I have no idea if cam's card interface will able to boot from SD via CF-SD-adapter.

Canon Amateur

Grabbed my Jobo SD/SDHC/SDxC CF Adapter (Art #SE9109) and my SanDisk Extreme SDHC card 32GB.
Fired up EOSCard and used a CF Cardreader and enabled ML and Bootflag on the SD Card, which was inserted in the CF Adapter.
EOScard copied the ML files, then I downloaded the latest build (magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug18.50D109) and copied those files to SD, overwriting existing files.
Inserted the CF adapter with the SD in the 7D and switched on the 7D.
ML loads but on the first boot the red LED flashes for about 20 seconds.
Probably because a lot of things need to be written to SD and the throughput is not as fast as a CF card.
Eventualy I have ML running on an SD with a CF-card adapter in my 7D.

Now I have to keep track of the various memory cards with their ML versions. :)
Canon EOS 7D / Canon 1D Mark III / Lytro illum

Walter Schulz

Thanks for testing it.
I recommend to delete contents written by EOScard. There is an almost endless line of people who had problems because they are not that good telling copying with/without overwriting.

ansius

with first boot happens the ROM dump, 7D makes 2 - ROM0 UN ROM1 in ../ML/LOG/ each is 16MB, if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

F83eric

Hello

ML ok on a CF  :).

ML ko on a sd with cf adaptor, I try a lot of procedure with EOSCard but my 7D doesn't start.  >:(

Eric

DeafEyeJedi

F83eric:

Honestly, I'm afraid if you do it this way with an adapter (never tried it on my end) then you probably won't be able to achieve the 7D's sweet spot with recording times/resolution in terms of maxing out the writing speed.

Just get a card reader and stick with CF cards (at least 1066x) which works well for 7D.

Keep it simple and Happy Shooting!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Oswald

Which one i'll buy? 7d or 70d? I now have the eos M. :)
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ΒΆ  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

Walter Schulz

No details/use cases given -> No advice in return.

kamranjon

I am trying to use the Restart Rec. Feature in the Movie Extras menu, and it doesn't seem to be working at all.

Here is my settings:

Crop Mode: 2048x1152
FPS: 24

I usually get about 6-8 seconds of recording in this mode, but to be able to have it auto restart recording at the end of each of these segments would be awesome because I could put it on a tripod during a shoot and get a bunch of 7 second clips that were basically sequential and could be cut into A-cam footage in post.

Any help would be appreciated!

flofifull

QuoteI usually get about 6-8 seconds of recording in this mode

With 1000x card from Transcend, i can get 14-15 seconds in 2048 x 1200 pixels (24 fps, crop mode).

Walter Schulz

Quote from: kamranjon on November 18, 2015, 04:53:14 PMI am trying to use the Restart Rec. Feature in the Movie Extras menu, and it doesn't seem to be working at all.

I'm not a programmer but this feature seems to be developed for H.264 recording only and covering movie stop caused by 29:59 and/or 4 GByte limit in this mode. It does not work with RAW/MLV.

arrinkiiii

Hi guys,

Im recording some footage against the sun and im getting a pink circle (the size of the sun) in the sun. Using MLVProducer or MlRawViewer.  Anyone knows about this?

Thanks

Spooke

I'm not sure if this is a problem but my CF benchmarks at 152 MB/s Read, 134 MB/s Write but on my 7D I only get 42.4 MB/s Read, 64.8 MB/s Write?

Doesn't seem right to me, generally I get around 70+ MB/s whilst recording and it seems to be quite stable.

Edit - Re-ran the test in Movie Mode 1080p24 (was in the main camera screen before) and got 81.5 MB/s Read, 66.2  MB/s Write which sounds better, is that the best I can expect from a 7D?

Komputerbay 1066x 64GB Card

Walter Schulz

Lies, damned lies, benchmarks.
Use photo mode -> Start benchmark -> Press Play button

Spooke

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 30, 2015, 08:36:59 PM
Lies, damned lies, benchmarks.
Use photo mode -> Start benchmark -> Press Play button

Ahah! Read 108.3 MB/s, Write 87.2 MB/s. Thanks a lot Walter, I guess they don't really mean much I was just worried that something was amiss with my camera :)

markus1980

Hallo!

Is there any headphone monitoring for the 7D yet?

Kind regards from Vienna
Markus

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> Top of page -> Features -> Audio

Walter Schulz

Please go to Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 7D.203 and follow instructions there. Forget anything you ever seen or heard about bspatch and related FIR files.

markus1980

Hallo Walter!

Use bspatch and EOScard in case of emergency?

Thanks for help and kind regards from Vienna
Markus

Walter Schulz

Schreibe ich undeutlich?