Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Looking for someone willing to test this bugfix: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/2202/create-directory-on-recording-doesnt-start
You need newest build or the one before.

newreal

Hi there,
I've got a 7D and would like to start using Magic Lantern on it. I've spent hours on the internet learning about this magical hack...
I do a lot of slow motion (action sports) and am wondering what the current capacities of the 7D are on the latest build (oct/1/2015) mainly for recording 60/50 fps? And does anyone know what is the max/best quality resolution it is possible to record continuous at 60/50p? (with the right type of cf card of course).
Thanks for your expertise!

DeafEyeJedi

Seriously guys after months, if not a year or so goes by and there are bugs that seems to be either unreported or unable to fix as of yet on this remarkable 7D even with the latest nightlies.

It feels good to be back in this league and definitely never gets old with this semi beast after scooping up a solid used one off Craiglist's for incredibly cheap!

Missed the half-shutter magnified zoom hot key!

[emoji108]

*edit*

Is there a certain work around to get crop-mode to record MLV Raw? Because whenever I set it into 10x crop (pressed it twice) and it won't record but if I go into 5x crop mode (pressed once) which starts recording but with that crappy grayish look.

On top of my head I remember being able to shoot in crop modes on 7D especially in the older builds -- guess I'll have to dig through and find one that works?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Frank7D

Quotewhenever I set it into 10x crop (pressed it twice) and it won't record but if I go into 5x crop mode (pressed once) which starts recording but with that crappy grayish look

Not with my 7D right now, but the gray look is because of the magic lantern preview (which shows the correct cropped image). To avoid that, you need to switch it to Canon (somewhere in ml menu).
It used to be that if you hit the zoom button twice (10x) it would freeze. I don't know if that has been fixed. You only want to push it once, though, for shooting raw. Somewhere in the ml menu you can set the zoom to only do 5x.

Walter Schulz

10x feature was disabled in build #139 (17.06.2014):
3: 7D/5D2/550D/500D: disabled LV RAW mode in 10x zoom (should fix issues #1587, #1990, #1961 and others). Other cameras requiring this workaround?

DeafEyeJedi

Makes sense guys... Will dive into this some more this weekend and share results.

Thanks again as always!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

xando

Hi there, new user, many thanks to developers, excited to get our next short movie done in raw. I am having trouble controlling IRIS(rotating wheel) while shooting Raw. any help will be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

lansin

I have used 7D for about 4 years, now my bright boy has been borned last mouth ,that I want to make many many good videos for him , so I came here...

OldYogi

I sent my trusty 7D to Canon for repair (a new sensor) and it came back with firmware 2.03 replaced by 2.05.  I miss my ML.   Canon says
QuoteFirmware Version 2.0.5 is for cameras with firmware version 2.0.3. If the camera's firmware is already Version 2.0.5, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to version 2.0.5, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version.
Discussion on this forum nonetheless implies I can revert to 2.03 by putting that version on the card and using "update firmware."    Can someone please confirm that - thanks.

OldYogi

in post http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg122566#msg122566 Walter Schulz, responding to a post about ML not running under firmware 2.05, said
QuoteI would suggest to use three cards for this. One with Canon's firmware version 2.0.3, one with 2.0.5 and a card running ML (bootable + files + directories).
The cards holding Canon's firmware may be some cheap or small capacity cards.
I don't understand that - could Walter or someone explain?   is the idea that all 3 cards would be independantly bootable by using EOScard.exe?  would the "card running ML" have 2.3 on it?   If the firmware installed on the camera remains 2.05, why the 3rd card with 2.05 on it?   

Walter Schulz

Linked post was an answer to someone who wanted to use ML (which requires Canon firmware 2.0.3) and Canon's firmware 2.0.5. Not at the same time, of course but he wants to change between both options. Do you want this, too? If not, the answer does not apply to your needs.

To switch to 2.0.3: Format a card using your cardreader, format again in cam. Copy Canon firmware file (2.0.3) to card and run firmware update.
After successful downgrade delete firmware file from card (or just format again in cam) and copy extracted nightly build contents to card. Run firmware update again to get card and cam running ML again.

OldYogi

thanks for so quick a response.  I was alarmed by Canon's statement that you can't go back from 2.05.

For the moment I see no reason why I'd want to also run 2.05, as well as 20.3.    although I do have two cards, only one of which has ML on it.   

Walter Schulz

Quote from: OldYogi on October 29, 2015, 08:05:29 PM
I was alarmed by Canon's statement that you can't go back from 2.05.

Don't know why they use "can't" instead of "shouldn't" which would be the proper term.

OldYogi

Walter --
Thanks again for the response. 
If like that other post I did want to run both 2.03 & 2.05, am I right that you are suggesting that
a. to switch to 2.05 from 2.03  just load the card with 2.05 on it and run firmware update.  after that you could use the ML card, but ML itself wouldn't load.
b. To go back to 2.03 do the same with the card with 2.03, and
c. to run ML after reverting to 2.03 insert the ML card and run firmware update again.

I ask in part because I have my card with ML on it as I had been running it -- if I format that card I lose its configuration -- whereas if I understand, I could revert to 2.03 from another card, then insert the ML card and run firmware update again.   That way I'd be running the same ML as before.   
Do I have it right?
Thanks.

Walter Schulz

a. Nope. Cam won't start.
b. Yes
c. "Firmware update" is not needed.

twisp

Greetings

not sure if i am posting the the correct section,I have just dot the canon 7 D mark 11, i previously had the 600d with a 50mm f.8 and a 18 to 250mm, i recently started shooting very low light live music gigs/ clubs, this camera is very different to my 600d and i am in need of setting it up for low light photography, any help will be greatly appreciated, flash use in not permitted in these venues, thank you kindly..regards

ansius

7D is not that grate at low lights, almost never go above ISO 1250, you would be better of with 5Dmk2.

No special setting is going to help concerning the limits of the camera, just go with the best and fastest lens you can get. If you do video in h264 then cranking up bit-rate helps at high ISOs, it is easier to remove it with Denoiser or NeetVideo.

If it is photography with high dynamic range, you should look into dual-iso
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Walter Schulz

He's asking about 7D2, not 7D.

twisp

sorry guys my mistake , it is the mark two, not for video, just photos only
Thanks And sorry for the mistake.
regards

OldYogi

Walter,
I fear I'm being profoundly dumb, and I don't want to exhaust your patience -- but I remain puzzled. 
I had asked if, with firmware 2.03 on one card, 2.05 on another, and ML on a 3rd, whether it would work as follows:
a. to switch to 2.05 from 2.03  just load the card with 2.05 on it and run firmware update.  after that you could use the ML card, but ML itself wouldn't load.
b. To go back to 2.03 do the same with the card with 2.03, and
c. to run ML after reverting to 2.03 insert the ML card and run firmware update again.
you replied:
Quotea. Nope. Cam won't start.
b. Yes
c. "Firmware update" is not needed.
I think I don't understand why in (a) the "Cam won't start."   If I update from 2.03 to 2.05, I know I can't run ML, but isn't the camera then restored to running 2.05?   It seems to make no difference whether the card I then use (under 2.05) has ML on it or not -- right now the camera has 2.05 and has no problem booting with the card that has my 6 month old copy of ML on it  although of course ML itself doesn't load.

what am I missing?   

Audionut

If the camera has the bootflag enabled, and the wrong version of autoexec.bin on the card it won't boot.

Walter Schulz

The cam won't start because updating/downgrading firmware does not affect cam's bootflag (which is set by ML installation and used to look for a bootable card). If you insert a ML enabled card the cam will locate card and try to load autoexec.bin. And because ML is designed to work with a dedicated firmware version you will get an error and will be forced to remove battery before proceeding.
If your cam is starting up with firmware 2.0.5 installed you either haven't the bootflag set or your card is not bootable.
Cam's bootflag can only be set/removed by ML installation. And this requires firmware 2.0.3.

An "ML enabled card" is bootable (part of ML installation, too) and has ML files and directories on it.

OldYogi

ah --- thank you both -- this now makes sense.
The cam  has no bootflag enabled, I assume, because when servicing the cam Canon upgraded the firmware.  The card presumably remains bootable -- because it is the same card that was booting before, when the camera had 2.03.
So, indeed, to reenable ML I have to both "update" to 2.03, and then reinstall ML from a card, so the bootflag will be set on the camera.

I feel much more comfortable doing stuff when I know why I'm doing it.  Thanks.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: OldYogi on November 03, 2015, 02:23:22 AM
ah --- thank you both -- this now makes sense.
The cam  has no bootflag enabled, I assume, because when servicing the cam Canon upgraded the firmware.
Again: Updating firmware d o e s  n o t  affect cam's bootflag!

F83eric

Hello,

I try to install ML on my 7D
My firmware is 2.0.3
I have copy all ML files on my SD card from my computer and insert it in an adaptator CompaqFlash/SD into my camera

When I try to update firmrware to install ML when I click to OK, screen shut down and nothink append.
My Camera is freeze.
I remove my memory card and after my camera write no firmware found ...
I remove battery
And after my camera work well.

Do you have a idea ?

Thank