Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmk

8) thanks!

Followup question... when planning the shot (before hitting record) I like all the widgets on the screen like zebras, meters, etc. but when I magnify-zoom in it's b&w with a horrible lag, and then the zoom out button doesn't work so I need to hit play in order to get back out, and then it refreshes the screen for a few seconds (not terrible, but kinda annoying)

Is there a way to tell it to use the native camera mode when zooming in (5x or 10x), then ML with all the global draw stuff when at normal?

ansius

is it while shooting RAW? for RAW that is the way it is, it is called crop mode, for 1:1 pixel binding and no moire
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

dmk

Before hitting record, just while composing the shot...

dmilligan

How can you compose a shot zoomed in with incorrect framing?

dmk

That's the point :)

I like to go back and forth between zoomed in (to check focus) and zoomed out / regular (to compose the shot).

With ML installed- the regular (zoomed out) view is great since I can see the scene as-is and also get meters, but the zoomed in view is not great since there's a delay (esp when going back to regular), it doesn't go to 10x, and it defaults to b&w.

I'd like the zoomed out / regular view to be ML with all the bells and whistles, but zoomed in (both 10x and 5x) to be native canon- and to be able to quickly switch between them.

Is that possible?

ansius

simply switch off the raw shooting while composing/checking focus and then switch it back on. this is a normal raw behavior because the zoom function is used for remapping how the sensor is read so no lines would be skipped, sadly the debrayering is cpu consuming (and ml cant directly access the canon fw one, as i have understood, maybe I'm wrong) hence the b&w.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

dmk

if you press zoom again it turns color while pressed... ouch, turning raw on and off would also be time consuming for the way I like to work :\

Need to get me one of those EVF things or a large monitor so I can judge focus more easily ;)

ryzehd

Hey guys,

Considering buying a 7D for RAW Video shooting only. Has the record time improved from the last couple of nightly builds? The longest time I've seen so far was 11 seconds.

Walter Schulz

Recording times of this length are indicating wrong settings and are not related to build versions.

Argon

I had one question...
when I using dual ISO on my 7D,  can I view the photos on the camera without those lines ??

Walter Schulz

Argon

is this in the near future plan?

Walter Schulz

Well, if you tell me where to find such a thing ...

Argon

hmm...If I ever find them, I'll will call you... :)
thank you anyway...

DeafEyeJedi

Why would you want to do this in camera when it still looks as good and can even notice the increase in DR when reviewing them on LCD despite the lines.

Play with the Zoom button a little in and out to see where the lines starts to become less/more noticeable. Jm2c.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

danielkeane

Hi, this question has probably been asked millions of times, but I've just installed the newest nightly build onto my 7D and when I turn on Movie restart, I can't stop the camera recording once I start it (unless I turn off the camera). Basically when I hit record again to stop recording it, it stops for a second, then restarts again. Is this a common issue or is possible I have some settings set wrong?
Thanks!

Walter Schulz

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/2065/movie-restart-7d-stuck-in-loop-cannot-stop
You need movie restart only when recording H.264. RAW/MLV doesn't require this setting anymore for recordings > 30 min.

Rainmanwalking

If I use an 8mm lens and shoot video in crop mode (3x) what is the equivalent lens size ?   Is it 24mm?   38mm?  Does anyone have experience with the Rokinon, Bower, Sayang, 8mm lens they would like to share?  Thanks. 

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: Rainmanwalking on August 18, 2015, 04:43:32 PM
If I use an 8mm lens and shoot video in crop mode (3x) what is the equivalent lens size ?   Is it 24mm?   38mm?  Does anyone have experience with the Rokinon, Bower, Sayang, 8mm lens they would like to share?  Thanks. 
I had the same idea but i tend to use really good glass in crop mode, since my Samyang isn't really that sharp i don't use it.
And about the lens, i keep myself out of f/3.5 as much as i can. it has a good improvement on f/5.6 and maximum sharpness at f/8.

Walter Schulz

This is "Camera-specific discussions" forum and this thread is dedicated to 7D issues. Keep chatter down and discuss such items elsewhere, please! "Hardware and accessories" will do just fine.

Rainmanwalking

Mr. Schulz, my interest is only with the 7D as it's the only camera I own and I sincerely appreciate your help with my questions in the past.  My question might not have been stated clearly,  I was wanting to know how wide angle lenses perform in crop mode (3x) on the 7D, and how to estimate the equivalent lens size.   Thanks. 

dfort

3x crop mode on the 7D should be about the same as the other APS-C cameras in 3x crop mode. Note that you can choose various frame sizes for recording and that also changes the amount of cropping. 3x will get you in the ballpark. In other words:

8mm x 3 ≈ 24mm equivalent on an APS-C sensor
8mm x 3 x 1.6 ≈ 38mm equivalent on a FF sensor

Now for my very 7D specific request. Can someone that knows how to look into the ML/LOGS directory on the SD card please PM me?

dfort

Thanks dpjpandone. Now to make sense of all the gibberish.

blackjack102

I am enjoy to work with magic lantern. One thing is I hate about view play video on camera because it can't do the back. When I am at play mode and wanted to check out another video, I have to exit the magic lantern and go to view another video. I film blind most time, so I need to look few videos before I film again.

Walter Schulz

I'm unable to understand what your problem is. Please rephase your issue and add issue in you native language.