Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vyskocil

What about 7D mark II ?
Is it mandatory to wait that a firmware upgrade is released by Canon before starting to look at a ML port on this beast ?
I ask because I ordered mine yesterday to replace my venerable 7D...
I already did some ML dev for the 7D and I'm asking if there is something to look at the mark II to initiate a port before Canon release a downloadable firmware upgrade ?

ML on 7D mark II would be great with such new features as : moire free video "a la" 5D mark III, CF/SD dual slots, 60fps in 1080p, dual Digic 6 processors, phase detection AF in live view,....

Walter Schulz

Downloadable firmware is not needed to start porting. See 70D thread.

khrisgarcia

Supposedly mark ii firmware update is coming next week. I enjoyed using ML on my original 7D. Maybe the wait for ML on the mark ii will be shorter then the original.  ;)

PierreK

I've just registered for this forum, so forgive me if I'm asking an old question - I had a quick search and haven't yet found an answer to my query, which is: I've just upgraded my Canon firmare to 2.0.5 - I notice that the latest ML f/w for the 7D is designed for 2.0.3, I'm assuming it would be foolhardy to try and install this over native Canon 2.0.5? If so, when will a 2.0.5-compatible version be released? Many thanks. Pierre.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: PierreK on April 29, 2015, 07:29:51 PM
I'm assuming it would be foolhardy to try and install this over native Canon 2.0.5?
You need to downgrade to 2.0.3 until a version for 2.0.5 appears.

PierreK

Or stay with Canon 2.0.5 until an appropriate ML f/w comes out before trying it, is probably what I'll do... thanks.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: PierreK on April 30, 2015, 12:54:29 AM
Or stay with Canon 2.0.5 until an appropriate ML f/w comes out before trying it, is probably what I'll do... thanks.
don't hold your breath while you wait ;)

DeafEyeJedi

@PierreK:

It's definitely worth to downgrade to 203 in order to have a working copy of nightly ML...

You won't regret it... but you will if you don't try!

jm2c.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

And the only fix mentioned in 2.0.5:

=====
Fixes a phenomenon in which the image files cannot be transferred using the FTP protocol via USB cable after the Canon EOS 7D camera has established a wireless connection to the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5A.
=====
As Licaon_Kter said: Don't hold your breath waiting for ML to be ported to 2.0.5 ...

Pelican

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 09, 2015, 11:19:04 AM
Downloadable firmware is not needed to start porting. See 70D thread.
Unfortunately the 7D mII (and the original 7D) is a different story...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Walter Schulz

Thanks for correction. Yes, now I rememver, dual-processor architecture and long, long wait for 7D to become ML-member.

Danialdaneshmand

Quick question , When i'm recording MLV when the file reaches Fat32's limit the new file's Type is different.
It looks like a sequence that starts with .M00
Is this an option to change because i can't convert these , i tried renaming it but it got crazy.

arrinkiiii

Wend it pass the limit Magic Lantern start to make this files, that is the rest of the file. If you use one of the Magic Lantern app you will get all file. You can read about more here in the forum, use the search.

N/A

Quote1728x692 48 fps slow mo. But wait a minute... When I play it back, the footage is normal aspect, no stretching required! I'm kinda running on no sleep in 2 days, I need someone to confirm this ASAP. I noticed when I set the cam to 1280x720 60p, and set the fps override to 23.976 exact fps, the liveview display was stretched vertically, so when recording it and playing it back records it in normal aspect! Timer A under 23.976 exact is 422 (FT -76). So I set the fps to 48, and Timer A back to 422. Mlv settings-
1728x692
3:2
GD Off
Canon preview
256 MB warmup
SRM On
Hacks on
4 buffers
Reserve on
Global Draw off
Expo override on

Rokinon 35mm manual cine lens

After messing with it a little bit more, the black and white levels get all wacky sometimes and the exposure is super glitchy. At first, I noticed this while testing out different settings in 640x480 mode, going to do some more tests soon as I charge my battery.

:edit: Yeah definitely a bug in the fps override control. I just downloaded the latest nightly, same thing. How exactly does fps override cause LV to stretch? Or is this a new feature I completely missed?!

:edit2: Ok, just figured out that this bug has been in the nightly since 7d fps override was implemented.

:edit3: To fix this issue, Timer A needs to be set to 498 (FT +76) for 23.976 exact and 440 (FT +10) for 60 exact.
Here are two frames from these settings. The first frame is with the modified fps settings, opened in MLVFS and rendered out into jpg through LR with no editing done. The second is normal 48 fps override, distorted frame rendered the same way. And also a screenshot of MLVFS to verify that it's 48 fps. Camera was mostly in the same position, with same exposure settings. Looks like the dng's get stretched downward, the top of each frame is in the same place. Interesting...

This is definitely going to come in handy, it's not quite 60 fps but the aliasing is very minor compared to a stretched dng.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Cris

I'm having a problem when trying to install ML on my 7D with 2.0.3 firmware. I have 3 CF Cards, 1x 8Gb and 2x 16Gb wich have ML installed and all working.

I have bought a Lexar Professional 32GB 1000x CF card and put it in the camera, formatted, copied ML with the card reader, then when i insert it in the camera and tried the firmware update, i get this error message: "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again."

Anyone else managed to get passed this problem? I will also be getting a 64Gb card in a few days, so i hope to get ml installed on that one too.

PS: I noticed that when starting the camera with the 32Gb card inside, takes a bit longer to power up, then with a smaller card inside. But I guess this is normal.

Walter Schulz

Not able to reproduce your error.
Workaround: Use EOScard or Macboot to make card bootable. Wipe all content (don't format!) from your card and copy latest nightly content to card.

Cris

Thanks for the reply. I tried, but doesn't work with this card.

Format in the camera, used EOScard to make card bootable, selected everything from the card and deleted the files, unzipped the latest nightly on the card, put it in the camera, same error.

Then i also tried formating the card in the card reader from windows and got the same error.

Walter Schulz

After using EOScard and wipe/copy: Just startup cam with card inside and press trashcan button. ML showing up?

Download h2testw and verify card's integrity.

Cris

After using EOScard and wipe/copy: Just startup cam with card inside and press trashcan button. No, ML isn't showing up.

I am testing with h2testw. I did a quick format then performed the test. It's halfway done now and no problem.

Walter Schulz

You won't see any problem with h2testw halfway.
Any update on this one?

Cris

yes... i was away while the test finished and no errors.

Walter Schulz

Change FIR's file name to uppercase and retry.

Cris

tried... didn't work

Walter Schulz

Make a screenshot of card's root directory and link it here.

Cris