Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

Quote from: Frank7D on February 21, 2015, 09:58:06 PM
I think the large number is actually appropriate for all card sizes. At least, it won't do any harm to someone using a smaller card. Those files take up virtually no space until they are filled.

Are the files currently deleted automatically if not used (recording stops early, whatever), or do they remain on the card?  If they are deleted when recording stops, I agree, having a larger number would seem preferable.  If this is the case, I'll find some time to make the changes, test quickly, and make an pull request for the nightlies.

dmilligan

They are deleted unless recording stops unexpectedly.

Audionut

Here is a build for the 7D with MAX_PRECREATE_FILES set to 32. 

Please test and report back.

Testing done, build removed.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 19, 2015, 09:37:32 PM
I would love to do but 7D doesn't support ExFAT.

D'oh! Thats's right. Haven't used the 7D as of much lately.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Frank7D

Thanks, Audionut!
I will test it tomorrow.

kamranjon

Is it possible the CF card R/W benchmark is inaccurate on the 7D? I'm getting read speeds of 35mbs and write speeds of 50mbs on 1066x cards, but when I actually record in RAW it works flawlessly and says it is writing at over 70mbs.

Walter Schulz

Press Play button after starting benchmark to access playback mode.

kamranjon

kamranjon

oh now it's writing at 90mbs and reading at 57 so that's good, why does it work like that?

dmilligan

In play mode there are a lot fewer Canon tasks actively doing stuff, so there's more resources available to the benchmark code.

kamranjon

This is on a 128gb card, i just read up there that exfat doesn't work, but the menu shows 120gb available? and i think i formatted as exfat. Is that not actually how much I can use?

Walter Schulz

Doesn't have anything to do with ExFAT or FAT32. Please check your file system again.

120 GiByte = 128,849,018,880 Byte

Storage manufacturers are using
kilo = 1000
Mega = 1000 x 1000
Giga = 1000 x 1000 x 1000

Computers use
kilo = 1024
Mega = 1024 x 1024
Giga = 1024 x 1024 x 1024

kamranjon

Right i just mean i heard that 7d can not use more than 64gb but it appears to work - is this actually true?

Walter Schulz

I'm sure it is true you heard that.

arrinkiiii

No one yet have try the solution from Audionut regarding the limit of 30 minutes?

PS - Im away from my camera until next week.

Frank7D

@arrinkiiii

The solution from Audionut is for allowing more than 10 "chunks" of mlv/raw video (it allows 32). The amount of time you get in those 32 chunks will depend on frame rate and frame size. I am testing Audionut's build now.

Frank7D

Using Audionut's test build, I just finished shooting as long as I could on my 128 GB CF card with 1280x720 @ 23.976 fps.
I filled up 29 placeholder files plus part of a 30th.
I realize now that my math was off when I calculated 32 as the max number of files for the 128 GB card. In GiB (as opposed to GB) the card has a capacity of 119.21 instead of 128, so 119.21 / 4 = 29.8 files instead of 32.
I think the build is fine as it is though, since it's okay to have more placeholder files than you need, and card capacity will only go up in the future.

Walter Schulz

Works for me, too. No problem recording +80 GBytes.

Audionut

g3gg0 pushed some fixes for MLV that should fix PRE_ALLOCATE problems also.  Can you guys please test the latest nightly and let us know.

Walter Schulz

Looks good. +40 GByte recording works with 7D and 650D.

Walter Schulz

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features
7D column:
- No mark on HEADPHONE_MONITORING but a mark on HEADPHONE_OUTPUT_VOLUME?
Robot error?

CaronteGF

Hi all. A simple question. It is possible right now shoot RAW in 7D with a external monitor plug in?. Im working in some complex shoots and i need the help of an focus assistant.

The last time i tried it, i get a lot of pink frame and some buffer problems (the clip ussually stops reccording in just a few secconds).

Thank you so much.

Argon

PLS HELP !!!

After installation ML, I had high expectations, but unfortunately opposite happened!
My pictures was full of white banding, very strange colors etc...

I tried to uninstall ML a couple of times but it did not work so I decided to overwrite the installation files from the card ...
But disaster ..
After rebooting my 7D was completely dead!
I tried to take out the battery, card, restart ... but nothing ..

Drama ... need help. How do I get my 7D in life?

Walter Schulz

Remove card, remove battery, remove lens. Insert battery. Startup. Results?

Format card using a card reader. Insert into cam. Startup. Results?

Don't forget to remove battery after testing.

Argon

Done ... and it works until I put the card in the camera.
After that, the camera is dead again.
Only when I repeat the whole procedure (without inserting the card) 7D revive.
Unfortunately I do not have another card right now..

What can I do next?