Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Komputerbay 1066x 128 GB

I know benchmarks and real life performance aren't that much related but I'm indeed a bit confused about the benchmark numbers in movie mode. I'm able to use data write rates around 80 MByte/s with RAW_REC but benchmark numbers are lower by quite a margin.
Is this a 7D specific issue?

Second one: I'm not able to access photo mode benchmark. When benchmark is started (no liveview, not video mode) it will enter playback mode regardless if play button is pressed or not.

N/A

I don't think my benchmarks have ever broken 100 MB/s, impressive! I think my movie and playback benchmarks were pretty similar to each other, I'll check on that. When you run benchmark in photo mode the speeds are most accurate in playback mode I believe, I thought it was strange as well that a picture displayed while benchmarks were running but it's normal, afaik.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

dmilligan

AFAIK, in playback mode there are a lot of Canon tasks that aren't running, so more resources can be devoted to reading/writing to the card. This approximates what raw recording does when it's running (disables/slows down lots of Canon tasks, so itself has as much priority as possible). That's why numbers are much better in playback mode.

carniolus

Canon 7D Raw footage. Testing Magic Lantern ver. Nightly.2014Oct08.7D203 on Canon 7D: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
Original footage res. 1729x 972 and 2240x1200 (5x zoom on Live view) using 24-105 mm Canon Lens.
It took me 32 GB for presented video. CF 64GB-600x speed.

No color grading when editing. I add a little clarity and sharpness.

k1ll4k4m

7d RAW x5 test shoot, I'm impressed. 17-40F4L and 100F2.8L with Lexar 32gb 1000x CF, minor adjustments in Camera Raw
http://youtu.be/6zEfa8o4GV8

carniolus

VOW. One of the best 7D footage I ever seen!!! Man, this is great. Are all footage in 5x? Could you please describe your settings & how many frames/shot did you manage? Thanks.

DeafEyeJedi

Still not quite sure what ur question is... Clarify some more, if possible?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

matthieub

Any news on the port to 2.0.5? What's the main issue?

walter_schulz

Main issue: Someone has to code it.
Do you really need to use 2.0.5?

matthieub

Maybe not, but I don't like downgrading something.
I could try and help (I'm in computer science), but I don't know what the status is and how to move forward :/

N/A

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

k1ll4k4m

QuoteVOW. One of the best 7D footage I ever seen!!! Man, this is great. Are all footage in 5x? Could you please describe your settings & how many frames/shot did you manage? Thanks.
All in 5x, 23.9fps, 1/50th of a second for everything with about 270-305 frames before automagically stopping. Seems like 15 seconds is the max so far.

beanz

walter_schulz

Your mileage may vary but I don't need any of the improvements coming with 2.0.5. Do you?

beanz

To be honest I haven't even looked into what improvements were added. I'm pretty happy with the latest build so far.

walter_schulz

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480a9f038
Only (official) item:
=====
Firmware Version 2.0.5 incorporates the following fix:

Fixes a phenomenon in which the image files cannot be transferred using the FTP protocol via USB cable after the Canon EOS 7D camera has established a wireless connection to the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5A.
=====
I see no urge, really.

Danialdaneshmand

Due to its price, Very few people are using that Grip anyway.

beanz

Agreed, It is rather pricey.. Thanks for the info Walter.

DeafEyeJedi

I'm happy sticking with 2.0.3 w latest build...

beanz

Happy new year guys and gals!

Spooke

I found 2.0.5 to produce sharper images, I downgraded to run ML which seemed to cause soft-focus on my 7D, but the benefits of ML are worth it... Maybe just me though.

DeafEyeJedi

Please post images from each fw for comparisons between 2.0.3 & 2.0.5 @Spooke!

beanz

The "soft focus", have you checked if the 7D is forward or back focusing?

brakrowe

Hello. I am new to magic lantern and i am having trouble finding settings on my 7D. How do I access raw video for instance?

Walter Schulz

Module tab. Restart. Movie tab.