Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Do you use this setting or not?

jman

Hey Walter... I used with the setting OFF. Works fine for the first pic. Then I have to turn the camera off and on to reset. Strange.

pstutter

Hello everyone.

I just downloaded the current nightly, I've haven't gotten a new version since TL was banned, so I've been out of the game for a while. Everything was going swimmingly until I switched to crop mode to try some 1080. First shot went good. Tried a second shot and got a crash. Rebooted, tried again and got a crash and error 70. I'm posting the logs (hope I do it right)

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_VD_INTR_LV, NULL, 0 ) )
at LVState.c:485, task ?
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Oct08.7D203
Mercurial changeset   : a27e3b9df491 (unified) tip
Built on 2014-10-07 22:30:35 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 196K + 2639K

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_RESET_PSAVE_LV, NULL, 0 ) )
at LVState.c:608, task ?
lv:1 mode:3

Free Memory  : 196K + 2635K

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR(err)
at LiveView.c:2357, task shoot_task
lv:0 mode:3

Free Memory  : 220K + 2780K

ASSERT: !IS_ERROR( TryPostEvent( this->hTaskClass, this, EV_RESET_PSAVE_LV, NULL, 0 ) )
at LVState.c:608, task ?
lv:0 mode:3

Free Memory  : 219K + 2776K

I haven't used ML lantern much in a while so I'm not up to date with all thats happened lately. Can anyone sort out whats happening to my camera?

Thanks

RPABSTCO

What's the latest on Magic Lantern for the 7D?  I can't find any recent posts on the subject.  Is the current "nightly build" solid? I just picked up a used 7D to go with my 60D and 5DII.  Love ML on the other cameras.  Hope it works as well on the 7D

Ottoga

Whilst I don't use all of the features of ML, for those that I do, I've found it to be very stable.

Cheers... Otto
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Joper

Hello!
I'm new ;-).
I started using ML mainly for the higher quality movie features - i had the time to get into it, but i came up with some problems and i'm not shure if it's me or magic lantern.
I'm using the latest nightly build form the 8. October

There are some issues, but i think probably half of them can be solved with this one:
My raw video is significantly darker than H264 or a jpeg shot with the same settings - the live Fiew is matching the jpeg/h264.
With mlv_rec: Superdark, additionally the camera doesn't save the raw correction data, i have to adjust everying afterwards from zero.
with raw_rec: Still to dark, but it saves all the raw information and looks a little bit lighter - even if it's still useless.

Is there a way to fix this through make the right settings? I have to make some really strong correction, and it looks crappy before it get's back to a comparable value.

dmilligan

You have to be more specific and you should post some examples (like a DNG from the raw video and a frame from the h.264).

Quote from: Joper on October 20, 2014, 12:28:20 AM
significantly darker ... Superdark ... Still to dark
By how much, exactly?

I have to make some really strong correction
What kind of "correction"?

it looks crappy
How so (post example)?

What's your post processing workflow?

What settings were you using?

the live Fiew is matching the jpeg/h264.
You should not be using the screen to judge correct exposure for raw video (since the image on the screen does not and cannot reflect what is truly in the raw data), instead you must rely on the raw exposure aids (like: histogram, zebras, spotmeter) or use AutoETTR

Joper

I reinstalled Magic Lantern and changed a few settings (i deactivated the custom setting for 1/3 ISO stops), since the i didn't had the error anymore, everything looks fine - but i'll keep the final word to the long term study, looking forward to it. :-)

Anyway, where here to make ML better, so here's the more precise description:

By dark i mean that the basic color of the raw image was black with a normal exposure (EVĀ±0). I was able to push it so i can see some details, but from black as a base instead of a normal exposed picture. I think the difference between the raw_rec and mlv_rec came through the (from camera) uncorrected raw data i had for the mlv-dngs (corrected in adobe raw, either in photoshop or after effects) while the raw-dngs kept the cameras information.

I photographed in M mode, my exposure was always based on the informations ML gave me on the screen/in the settings. I used the histogram for comparison with raw, but it didn't help with the buggy raw movie files.
Ah, my raw movie workflow: i used the mlvtodng script /rawtodng application on mac os x, imported the dngs to Adobe After Affects (as said adobe raw for correction) and exported the data as Prores 4:2:2

I'll try to recreate the error in the next time to possibly understand moe of it and get some example data.

Danialdaneshmand

I'm having a problem recently which i don't know the cause but it's making my 7D to a 3-4 Fps camera.
even though i'm putting the camera on High Continuous , it's really slow.
only though that came to mine was the buffer being nearly full all the time.

Any ideas?

Walter Schulz

First: Is it ML related? Start with SET button pressed and try again.
Result?

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 23, 2014, 12:49:59 PM
First: Is it ML related? Start with SET button pressed and try again.
Result?
That's the problem , i tried it w/o and with.
sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not.

Is there a way i could reset the whole thing (ML and 7D together)

Walter Schulz

If you start up with SET pressed: Is the fps thing occuring or not?

ansius

I have noticed that if ETTR module is loaded and you have forgotten and left it on, that might happen. so make sure that modules are off and do you have the problem. also if you debug change only one setting until you catch the error, otherwise it is hard to find what is to be the fault.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Walter Schulz

That's why I asked him to start with SET button pressed.

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 25, 2014, 01:38:06 PM
If you start up with SET pressed: Is the fps thing occuring or not?
basically what i said , even without ML running the problem stays better say sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Quote from: ansius on October 25, 2014, 01:44:02 PM
I have noticed that if ETTR module is loaded and you have forgotten and left it on, that might happen. so make sure that modules are off and do you have the problem. also if you debug change only one setting until you catch the error, otherwise it is hard to find what is to be the fault.
Running the camera w/o ML (what Walter suggested) will basically solve this problem.
i taught this had to do with Buffer so i pulled the memory out and still Continuous shooting at 3/4 frames per second.

Walter Schulz

Looks like an error unrelated to ML. Try to reset the cam to factory defaults (including Fn-settings) but I'm not that convinced it will do any good. Anyway, just to make sure ...

Danialdaneshmand

Before i reset it.
I found that camera tends to slow down when light decreases.

here's a video: http://www.mediafire.com/watch/4k9hcpotin59out/Shutterproblem7D.mp4
My apologies for the quality but i feel it's enough for demonstrating the problem.

Walter Schulz

Press SET at startup, use modus M, Auto-ISO off. Test again.

Danialdaneshmand

ansius

try with auto focus set off, how is then?
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Walter Schulz

@ansius: Ever tried changing focus mode on a cam without lens mounted?

Danialdaneshmand

Maybe he didn't download the video , come on Walter  :)

alexsocal

Hi. This is my first message, so I'd like to thank everyone involved in this really nice feature for our Canon babies.

I hope this is the right place to ask my question. I recently tried the ML night build for the 7D and everything works fine except for the fact that I don't have the raw video option in my screen. I tried an older night build and have the same result. I also tried a faster card, in case ML was able to see the card speed and was hiding the raw option for this reason, with no result. Here's a picture of my video menu.

Do somebody know why is this happening?

Thank you very much!

Walter Schulz

Module tab -> Enable RAW_REC or MLV_REC -> Restart

alexsocal