Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lensmeister

Can someone tell/advise me if the 7D version of ML is likely to havethe feature of shooting at 50 ISO ?

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

blackjack102

I like to report about Aug 20 2014 version on 7D and went to an anime convention. I filmed at 1280x514, 16:6 and 60fps, and I was surprised the version can record in continue on my fastest card. However, I still get few corrupted pink frames. It is headache to look for the pink frames. When I worked with a cosplayer, I turned my camera on and adjust exposure and focus right way. Sometime, it crashed like won't allow me to start the record after the adjust. I had to turn off and turn on to record! I don't have time to reproduce the problem. I think it crashed because I did not let the camera to load magic lantern program first when I start work with my setting. I will look at it this weekend. Is there a program can detect a bad pink frame, remove it and rename whole image sequence?

Spooke

Anyone got any idea why after recording RAW I get BUSY shown on the screen and have to turn it off and on to take photos?

77cats

Hello guys,

I've tried to make a new card bootable but no matter what method used (in camera via firmware or via eoscard), it wouldn't work.

I thought it was a bargain because of the cheap price but it's finally a fake card: slow speed and the pictograms on the back are badly reproduced compared to the two other cards I have (the front is different too, like the fonts used).
You can see all this on that pic: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14585948/cf-lexar-test.png

Ok, I've got a *** card (I'll return it) but I don't understand why I couldn't get it to boot ML because the same tests with the Lexar 8GB 800X worked well. Do you think I might have done something wrong or is it just because it's a fake?

a1ex

Quote from: Spooke on September 03, 2014, 09:20:36 PM
Anyone got any idea why after recording RAW I get BUSY shown on the screen and have to turn it off and on to take photos?

Probably something wrong with the memory backend. Find a way to reproduce and submit a bug report.

Sourcenemy

Hi ppl fresh user here;) after ive been reading post after post after post..... here it seems i cant use the stable ML thats out for my 7D but i'll have to go with this awesome looking knightly build from amongst others A1ex... correct? my question is which rls is the most stable one if we dont look at the super RAW video part?
since i dont have any intrest in that, i just want a stable "bug free" rls with all the other gems ;)

Stay safe

Spooke

Quote from: a1ex on September 04, 2014, 02:57:30 PM
Probably something wrong with the memory backend. Find a way to reproduce and submit a bug report.

The strange thing is I had the same issue with my 650D (only when recording with a 50mm f1.8 on that one though!).. Different cards.

I'll try and reproduce it and add it to the bug report.

Volta88

Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller. Just wanted to report some of my findings with y'all, that have very likely been touched on in other threads, but just to let y'all know. I'm running the 8-20 nightly on my 7D, with pretty good results. @dpjpandone - I've yet to DL and run some test shots with your build, but going to try and see I can do so once things slow down at work and I'll be sure to report back.

I finally gave up on the hope of using the RAW module for paid work after I kept having sporadic test shots with occasional corrupted pink frames, and the vertical lines issue also cropped up here and there. I've read that it's fixable with a little bit of coding and post, but with our workflow, we need to shoot, and be ready to deliver the following day, so no bueno for me.

For me, the working setup thus far has been using MLV, 1724x968 @ 23.976. I run a lilliput 663 on my glidecam, with a nyrius aeries pro sending video wirelessly to a marshall directors monitor. I shot a :30 a few days ago with these settings and every shot that came off the card looked great.

RE the HDMI out - I experience a lot of tearing when not using "Force VGA" option, which is why I'm itching to try dpjpandone's build. FWIW, I've also disabled global draw for good measure, which from my last batch of test shots didn't seem to have an effect either way. (wasn't using peaking or anything fancy, just histo and all the standard info like ISO, SS, aperture, etc.)

For me, initially, I had a ton of pink frames via RAW when i was doing my first tests on my sandisk extreme CFs, while I was waiting for my new card to arrive. I opted for this one, and have no complaints or issues thus far:
http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-1066x-CompactFlash-LCF128CRBNA1066/dp/B00IAYFDJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1410052349&sr=1-1&keywords=cf+card

For post, I run it all through the paid version of RAWMagic (heresy, I know. :/) It does a quick job of cranking it all out though, and working with the DNGs in premiere for a rough edit with scratch audio is a lifesaver.

Lastly, wanted to give a big "Thank you" to all the devs that have made this possible. I have been hating my canons for the last year or so, and couldn't wait to upgrade to something better. With Magic Lantern I feel like I've got a whole new camera now. Really top-notch, and really appreciate all of you!

Canon 7D | Canon 60D | 2013 Retina MBP | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core

dpjpandone

Volta88:

I think we are actually very close to having the changes merged into main nightlies so you can use your external monitor at full resolution (no more force vga) I have had very good results recording up to 1728x864 with full hdmi output and no tearing with the build I posted. Sadly, this isn't quite 16x9, it's 2:1, but a huge improvement over previous results (which exhibited tearing at EVERY resolution) so you will still have to use force vga for 1728x968, but I'm reading everyone's notes and digging through the code every day to try to get the same performance with full 1080i hdmi out, as is possible with force vga (480p output)

Something I noticed is that one of the most resource hungry features is the raw histogram, (it makes the cpu load jump from 27% to almost double, and drastically reduce raw performance. Leaving global draw on seems to be fine, as long as I turn the histogram off when I'm using my monitor at full-res.

Solving this tearing issue completely, remains the highest priority for me because the 7D is still the only Super 35mm (aps-c) sensor camera (ml supported) that records reference sound and has a fast CF card, and this will likely be true for a while, so I really feel that it's a good investment for me and anyone else who wants to use Canon DLSR for serious cinematography.

I would love to see some of your work. I too work in video production for a living, in a fast turnaround environment. I shot the entire season of "Let's Go Youngstown" on aps-c canons (t2i, t3i, 7D) which you can watch here if you are interested:

http://www.dpvisualmedia.com/home/home-3/lets-go-youngstown

it's a television show that airs weekly on the CW in my city, it is broadcast in HD, and the IQ of these cameras is nothing short of amazing. Magic Lantern made it possible for me to leave my old boring job as a graphic designer and follow my dream to become a DP, and for that I am truly grateful!

Our intro for next season, and some of the segments will be shot in MLV RAW this year, and I'm really looking forward to sharing those with you after they air.

Volta88

Quote from: dpjpandone on September 07, 2014, 04:19:49 AM
Volta88:

I think we are actually very close to having the changes merged into main nightlies so you can use your external monitor at full resolution (no more force vga) I have had very good results recording up to 1728x864 with full hdmi output and no tearing with the build I posted. Sadly, this isn't quite 16x9, it's 2:1, but a huge improvement over previous results (which exhibited tearing at EVERY resolution) so you will still have to use force vga for 1728x968, but I'm reading everyone's notes and digging through the code every day to try to get the same performance with full 1080i hdmi out, as is possible with force vga (480p output)

Something I noticed is that one of the most resource hungry features is the raw histogram, (it makes the cpu load jump from 27% to almost double, and drastically reduce raw performance. Leaving global draw on seems to be fine, as long as I turn the histogram off when I'm using my monitor at full-res.

Solving this tearing issue completely, remains the highest priority for me because the 7D is still the only Super 35mm (aps-c) sensor camera (ml supported) that records reference sound and has a fast CF card, and this will likely be true for a while, so I really feel that it's a good investment for me and anyone else who wants to use Canon DLSR for serious cinematography.

I would love to see some of your work. I too work in video production for a living, in a fast turnaround environment. I shot the entire season of "Let's Go Youngstown" on aps-c canons (t2i, t3i, 7D) which you can watch here if you are interested:

http://www.dpvisualmedia.com/home/home-3/lets-go-youngstown

it's a television show that airs weekly on the CW in my city, it is broadcast in HD, and the IQ of these cameras is nothing short of amazing. Magic Lantern made it possible for me to leave my old boring job as a graphic designer and follow my dream to become a DP, and for that I am truly grateful!

Our intro for next season, and some of the segments will be shot in MLV RAW this year, and I'm really looking forward to sharing those with you after they air.

Well in that case, I'm a little bummed I missed out on the party to help test this out for yah! :) Eagerly looking forward to running it through the paces regardless of whether it appears in a nightly soon or if I use the build you posted previously. VGA out on the monitors isn't all that bad, and certainly sufferable IMO, but there's nothing like seeing a crisp HD image on the monitor. Even at 2:1, in a pinch a usable HD image is a good tradeoff for making sure my focus stays sharp when I'm wide open on a quick tracking shot. Appreciate all your hard work on this!

Also - appreciate the quick note on the histo - I had no idea it ran the CPU that hard, I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I'm trying to keep my usage down.

Just checked out the link (and the whole site! :) you shared - great stuff, very solid edits, and nice color! I don't need to tell you this, but the color on any of the canons h264 image is just a pain to work with, so it's awesome to see folks that are able to push it far enough to achieve some really nice grades. (I know I never can, haha!)

IF you're interested, here's some of our stuff, a documentary we shot about a year ago, all on a 60D and a 7D with a gopro H2 for timelapses and the like:
http://youtu.be/DF_o_omA3l0

And an (old and in need of update) reel, again, shot on our 7D and 60D:
http://youtu.be/1s5u_oDVwDw

Sadly, no RAW footage to share just yet aside from test shots of my long-suffering wife and kids, but hoping to have some online soon after another round of shooting out in North Carolina this week! I shall report back with an update for y'all. In the meantime, I'm happy to make myself useful for anything you folks may need, no idea how to code, but have lots of gear I've accrued over the years and more than happy to configure it in any form or fashion to run some tests for the good of the order! :)

-Dan-

Canon 7D | Canon 60D | 2013 Retina MBP | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core

dpjpandone

Dan:

The intro for your gambling documentary is AWESOME! Lighting in the interviews looks great too. Love the timelapse sequences as well!

Your demo reel is... Phenomenal! I really love the coloring and all the slider shots, it's very well sequenced too, it shows that your company is capable of producing a broad range of content.

I'm really happy to have you on board, it will be great to have someone who is using the 7D often in a production environment to help with testing and feedback.

if you have time, and want to help, please test this build: http://www.filedropper.com/magiclantern-nightly2014sep077d203

please provide your feedback regarding HDMI performance here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/589/use-faster-edmacs-to-fix-tearing-on-7d/diff

and feedback regarding audio controls here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/586/audio-controls-are-working-on-7d-wind/diff

Thanks!

~Jon

N/A

dpjpandone,  I have a FANTASTIC opportunity to shoot a campaign video for a man running for US Congress in two weeks, so of course I'll be using 7d MLV with sound to shoot it. I'll probably be using your build with audio options if they're not in the nightly by then. Do you have a build of the latest nightly with audio options and anything else that needs testing? Thanks, man!
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

dpjpandone

the one in the post above is latest nightly with audio controls enabled, and faster edmacs. It's a good idea to do some camera tests before your important production.

N/A

Cool, thanks. Don't worry, I've been testing since M0000001.RAW  ;)
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Lomazzo

hi!
i'd like to install magic lantern on my canon 7d, but i've noticed in "downloads" section that 7d is not indicated in cameras supported by latest stable release 2.3
how can i do to get magic lantern on my poor 7d?
thankssss

Walter Schulz

First post of this very thread ...

jessdev

Hello all,
I've noticed way earlier on in this thread, there's talk of headphone monitoring on the 7D, and it seems a few people have been able to do so either using the t2i special cable (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765530-REG/Sescom_DSLR_550D_HOCF_DSLR_550D_HOCF_AV_Out_Headphone.html) or the Canon mini USB to RCA cable with stereo adapter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liR6GBc8Vus)

I've just upgraded from a t2i, I've been using the Canon mini usb/RCA/stereo adapter hack on the t2i and it works fine, but on my new 7D it doesnt work and causes the screen to go blank. 

Is this still a known issue?  I'm using the latest nightly build "magiclantern-Nightly.2014Sep01.7D203" 

Thanks!

Sukram

+1

Also want to have audio out over USB to have control in the android-app dslr-controller ... (im)possible? Got still no answer ...

Markus.

dpjpandone

jessdev:
Audio controls are not in nightly builds for 7D (yet). And When they are, headphones will still be disabled (for a while). You might find them working in the alpha build (that eoscard downloads automagically) but you have to enable headphone monitoring in the menu, then plug/unplug a few times to get your screen back on.... and if you can't figure it out, you will likely have a hard time getting support for such an old build, you'll also be missing a lot of improvements that happened since then...

Short answer: Your best bet is to pick up an external audio recorder, or a preamp that has a headphone out (the preamps in these cameras suck pretty hard anyways)

Sukram

We are filming with external Microphone pluged to the cam, BUT my thing is, that I can SEE the audio-level in dslr-controller, because we film a lot tethered (1m to 5m distance to the cam), it is ugly for us, to walk to the cam, to see the levels ... it would be a very big improvement to have them displayed in the app ;)

Greetings,

Markus.

dpjpandone

Markus,

I understand your use-case, I'm suggesting you use an external recorder (which will greatly improve your sound quality) and you can keep it right next to your tablet so you don't have to "walk to the cam, to see the levels"

I think for the most part, the tethered tablet apps have the same functionality as canon eos utility. Can you monitor the audio levels in canon eos utility? If not, then it's probably not possible.

If you want to get a definitive answer without waiting for someone else to take interest/initiative in your requested feature, you should research "PTP protocol" then look into how ML handles audio levels, and see if there is a way to pass the value that corresponds to audio level, over PTP, after you do that, you'll have to work with the developer of DSLR controller to get these values interpreted on the other end.  A good question to ask might be: "Can the values that correspond to audio levels be passed over PTP?"

It will probably take much less effort to acquire an external audio recorder and integrate that into your workflow. I'm not trying to kill your dreams of audio levels on DSLR controller...I'm just suggesting a solution that will work TODAY... rather than waiting with fingers crossed for several people to spend their time developing a solution for your unique case.

The Director

What about ML on 7D mark II?))

"Canon EOS 7D MKII: AF and Processor
There are a bunch of very important changes underneath the hood, though. The Canon EOS 7D MKII uses two DIGIC 6 processors rather than just the one, giving it simply excellent shooting speeds.

You can shoot in full resolution at 10fps. That's 4fps faster than the Canon 5D MKIII and 3fps faster than the Canon 70D – extremely fast.

If you shoot in RAW you'll be able to shoot up to 31 photos before the buffer is filled, but with JPEG shooting you'll be able to carry on continuously. It helps to explain some of the Canon EOS 7D MKII's price, which feels quite high for an APS-C model when cameras like the Sony Alpha A7 are bringing full-frame sensors to smaller frames and prices. "

KevinG

Hey guys,

Does anybody have any RAW video footage from the 7D that I can get my hands on?

I'd like to do some tests with it before I try it out on my camera.

Thanks!

Gwarf

Hi everybody, i'm new here   ;D
i try to understand why there's no stable version of ML for 7D and why audio doesn't exist.
I install ML today from the link at the begining of this post, do you know if this is the latest nightly build ?

Thank you