Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ansius

it might be a stupid question, but can I help? I do have some understanding of assambler (atmel's, but I can learn) and some spare time, I have done some research in IDA, but haven't done that for like 7 years. Thanks anyway
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

arrinkiiii

BushanBengaluru

Hey guys.. Even I'm facing issue with battery drain.. I was on 26Apr build. 1st i thought issue with grip, now it seems that issue with firmware. Any fixes now?

Jbowdach

anyone else getting random stops in recording RAW w/o a warning as to why? Ive had that and a few w a dropped frame warning at the size 1728x size with a lexar 1000x.

Can anyone recommend a generally semi stable build with RAW? Recent tests of all the nightlies are showing either tearing, which Ive reported and the above. Many thanks!

Pelican

Quote from: ansius on May 07, 2014, 01:41:59 PM
it might be a stupid question, but can I help? I do have some understanding of assambler (atmel's, but I can learn) and some spare time, I have done some research in IDA, but haven't done that for like 7 years. Thanks anyway
See the battery.c in the src folder (https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src)
Check the PROP_BATTERY_REPORT (0x8003001D) property values in your camera when the grip is attached.
Edit battery.c or share your experiences here.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Jbowdach

Reporting a bug with the latest nightly version of ML (and TL, but that makes no difference...just noticed it was in both).

WHen recording (I happen to be using raw, but seems to be universal issue), with expo override enabled, I begin with the ability to use my wheel to adjust my aperture  but sometime throughout the recording, the wheel loses the ability to control the aperture. The GUI displays a change in f-stop but there is no physical change in the aperture until I stop recording, cycle the camera, or cycle expo override on\off .  ANyone else? If so, what should I report officially so its useful info to debug?

blackjack102

Before one percent separated between magic lantern and tragic lantern, I had his firmware. I was able to record 1280 at 60 fps for 2000 to 4000 frames without skipping. I installed new night firmware (5/7/14) and could not record at the same setting as I did. It will record only 10 to 20 frames. I tried to change some setting to improve performance, but it did not. Is there a way to change an option to increase performance? or turn off "safe"?

tehellet

Has anyone been able to avoid the half pink frames? I'm using a Lexar 1000x 32Gb, with various builds and seem to be getting them quite randomly. I'm trying various 4:3 and 3:2 resolutions and to no different effect.

deC9r

Quote from: tehellet on May 19, 2014, 07:36:07 AM
Has anyone been able to avoid the half pink frames? I'm using a Lexar 1000x 32Gb, with various builds and seem to be getting them quite randomly. I'm trying various 4:3 and 3:2 resolutions and to no different effect.

try the branch nobody is allowed to speak off ;)

BushanBengaluru

Sorry .... Just the Noob question... :-\

1. Is this the major thread here for 7D? developments, testing and happenings around 7D ML builds?

2. is the TL still a separate development or is it already merged with ML?

All i want to know, where are we now and a summary of ML features.

My 7D currently loaded with 18 Apr ML build.

Thanks in advance guys.

rob_6

Quote from: bumkicho on April 23, 2014, 09:37:24 PM
"Failed to create file. Card full?" What does this message mean? Today I wanted to see how long it would continuously record to 128gb CF card since I never shoot continuously longer than 4-5 minutes at a time and I was curious. After first 10 minutes or so, it stopped recording with this message so I turned it off and back on to try again and it stopped after around 10 minutes with the exact same message. Does anyone know what it is?

I have this same problem when recording with mlv raw with sound enabled with a Lexar 64gb 1000x card. The recording stops at 10 minutes with the above error: "Failed to create file. Card full?"

Any ideas as to what could be causing this error? I can fill up the card which is about 15 minutes of recording when using standard raw.rec mode, but I would love to have sound which is only possible with mlv.

Thanks

Wartburg-Entertainment

Hello people,

I do not understand the world anymore:

1 I go to the NightlyBuilds
2.I go to 7D 2:03
3 I read the changelogs
4 I read various improvement in FPS
5 I invite the Nightly at the camera
6 I have no FPS override on my 7D  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Can you enlighten me?

vyskocil

Today I updated the pending pull request I pushed some time ago with fps override in RAW recording. This code is ported from TL and there are parts I don't fully understand, but now it is working for me. For example I was able to record in 5x crop mode in 25fps continuously in 1728x972 when the default 29.97fps isn't continuous.
I hope this could be soon integrated in the main branch.

N/A

The fps addition would be a godsend.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

arrinkiiii

Quote from: vyskocil on May 24, 2014, 07:46:40 PM
Today I updated the pending pull request I pushed some time ago with fps override in RAW recording. This code is ported from TL and there are parts I don't fully understand, but now it is working for me. For example I was able to record in 5x crop mode in 25fps continuously in 1728x972 when the default 29.97fps isn't continuous.
I hope this could be soon integrated in the main branch.

Thanks for the update and not give up =D

dklamie

Observation:

The sound cannot be muted completely on playback on current nightly. This was happening before but was fixed as I recall; can this be pulled from the other branch?

Thanks.

dpjpandone

Hey guys,

I just got my 7D this morning! Very happy with it, if anyone in the states is looking for a good deal on a used body, try adorama, their cust. service is great, and they are very conservative with the way they rate their used gear, so if you buy something in fair condition, chances are it's actually in VERY GOOD condition!

I know the layout will be slightly different than my 50D or T3i, but there seems to be something missing completely which I didn't see mentioned before. On my other cameras, I can set ML iso to a negative value for less noise. I cannot find this option in the ML menu on 7D, is this not available?

Also, I have read a lot about fps override not working, but I'm able to select 24p from canon menu and it displays as such in MLRaw module as well. I used to have to used FPS override on 50D to get 24p, (or 23.976) I  guess I don't need it here since 7D natively supports 24p?

ted ramasola

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 28, 2014, 04:07:25 PM
Also, I have read a lot about fps override not working, but I'm able to select 24p from canon menu and it displays as such in MLRaw module as well. I used to have to used FPS override on 50D to get 24p, (or 23.976) I  guess I don't need it here since 7D natively supports 24p?
fps override is not yet implemented on the current ML for 7D.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

dpjpandone

OK, fortunately it seems that I don't require it since I rarely shoot anything other than 23.97 or 29.97 - I do look forward to experimenting with overcranking for slow-motion when it is implemented. If I set the canon digital iso to a negative value in iso menu, is this the same as ml iso in 50D an 600D ?

Lastly, it seems that the iso display on the back lcd is always fluctuating (as if set to automatic) but the exposure does not change, (which is a good thing) is this the expected behavior? or is the iso display buggy? I've seen the top window iso read incorrect on other models, but the back was always the one I trusted.

Should I report this?

dpjpandone

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 28, 2014, 06:07:12 PM
it seems that the iso display on the back lcd is always fluctuating

I guess this was because I had it on Creative 3 instead of manual. ISO display functions as expected when  dial is set to "M"

Rainmanwalking

Thanks for this forum and for all the outstanding work done by the Magic Lantern crew.   I've been considering buying a monitor to help me see well enough to pull a good focus.   I would like to make sure that when recording raw video the hdmi output is functional with the 7D?  I'm sure it's been discussed but I can't sort it out enough to be sure so I apologize in advance.   ST

ted ramasola

Quote from: Rainmanwalking on May 29, 2014, 03:44:56 AM
Thanks for this forum and for all the outstanding work done by the Magic Lantern crew.   I've been considering buying a monitor to help me see well enough to pull a good focus.   I would like to make sure that when recording raw video the hdmi output is functional with the 7D?  I'm sure it's been discussed but I can't sort it out enough to be sure so I apologize in advance.   ST

even without ML the 7D maintains HD resolution via hdmi during record. Note that unlike the 5d3, when you plug an hdmi monitor on the 7d the camera lcd is off, so you only view via hdmi.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Rainmanwalking

dpjpandone

Quote from: dpjpandone on May 28, 2014, 04:07:25 PM
On my other cameras, I can set ML iso to a negative value for less noise. I cannot find this option in the ML menu on 7D, is this not available?

I found the answer. It seems that digic digital ISO is not implemented on 7D. I am guessing this is because the setting is controlled by a register that is different from all the other eos cameras. I have been reading the thread about "brute force" searching for registers. If I can find it, will it be easy for an experience dev to implement? Or has it already been found and for some other reason not implemented?

a1ex

On 7D, for these things you also need to setup the master processor. It's not a matter of brute force searching, but a matter of understanding the low-level Canon code (how it does things and where to patch it).

If you simply enable the code that works in all other cameras, you will alter only the preview image, not the recorded one. This trouble is only on 7D, because of the dual processor.