Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffunky

Hey guys - ML noob here.  I grabbed the 3/29 nightly for 7d and was in the process of learning it.  I noticed my time was off a couple of minutes, so I went into the Canon menu and adjusted it.  Now, once a minute, it appears to flicker the time selection on top of the ML menu. 

I grabbed a video with my phone to show what I mean:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1bvnhe0w918jk3/time%20flicker.mp4

Thanks to all working on this project.  I'm truly excited about learning what I can do with ML!

-Jason

ted ramasola

Is it still flickering after a camera reboot?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Cris

I had the 2.0.5 firmware on my 7D. I just downloaded the 2.0.3 firmware from the first page and downgraded without a problem. then i installed ML and works great.

I read that you couldn't downgrade, but it worked. Maybe this will help someone else too.

squidman90

sorry to sound like a newb, but i just updated my magic lantern to the latest 7D build but i have no options for frame rate, RAW, resolution etc under Movie menu.

thanks

arrinkiiii

Did you past all folders to the CF card? Did you enable the MLV raw module in the module menu?

squidman90

hey arrinkiiii
thanks for the reply, that helps I've installed modules mlv_play, mlv_rec, and raw_rec. what modules do you have installed on your 7D? whats the difference between the 2 record modules.
also when i recorded the video and played it back it was really slow is this normal?

thanks matt

arrinkiiii

U welcome.

In the modules you just need to load the mlv_rec for raw and if you want sound in your raw load the mlv_snd, if you want to preview raw video in camera load the module mlv_play. Never load the mlv_rec and raw_rec at the same time. ram_rec is the first version of raw module, not have sound or metadata.

Yes, it's normal, camera cpu is slow. Thanks to the god's of ML we got preview in camera, even if is slow is just great.

Use search tab or navigate in the forum, all the questions/answers are here =))

squidman90

also what the optimum setups for shooting RAW on a 16GB CF card canon 7D. what frame rate and resolution/aspect ratio should i be shooting?

its says it can't write 1920 x 1080p to my card, because it requires 67.1 MB/s at 24 fps. is my CF card not quick enough?

thanks matt

ffunky

Yes - just confirmed. 

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 30, 2014, 06:57:01 AM
Is it still flickering after a camera reboot?

a1ex

Quote from: ffunky on March 30, 2014, 03:54:40 AM
Now, once a minute, it appears to flicker the time selection on top of the ML menu. 

Move Canon menu to a tab that does not show the clock.

ffunky

That's all it took to fix.  I feel stupid now.   Perhaps this can take the lowest priority position for a bugfix.  ;)

Pelican

Quote from: ffunky on March 30, 2014, 10:50:11 PM
That's all it took to fix.  I feel stupid now.   Perhaps this can take the lowest priority position for a bugfix.  ;)
Make sure you don't put the date/time/zone on the "My menu" if 'My menu' is your default setting.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

7Denver

I am running the nightly build from March 23, 2014 and was shooting today.  My camera ran into an Error 30 in the middle of my shoot then displayed I had a dead battery.  I removed the battery and replaced it with a fresh battery.  I shot five frames and the battery displayed it was dead again and the camera would not respond. 

I took the battery out and changed memory cards to one without ML and the battery was full and camera fully functional.   

Thank you for continuing to work on this amazing software!!

Chris

mburgst

As i can't find the tragic lantern Thread for 7D anymore i post it here..

The last 2 weekends i've been shooting with tragic lantern (as magic lantern hung up on my cam three times at random actions and that i don't want to have in production..) with the cam set to ntsc and shooting at 30fps (which seems to be 29,97 infact..?!). audio was set to separate wav as i thought i would have any benefit from it.

recording with focus peaking to standard canon mpg went pretty flawless so far. i'll post the numerous crash logs when i get home. had to pull the battery a couple of times which was not really mounting faith in the current development.. :-/

with separate wavs i missed onscreen audio meters, so it was pretty much a guess-and-run filming stuff. luckily i have the audio from my rode videomic pro passed through a zoom h1 to the camera. i hope this saves me from unuseable audio if needed..

and i got me quite unawared that separate audio needs canon audio to be deactivated. i noticed that before shooting the actual clips luckily..

the worst problem sofar was the on some clips i have a severe drift between audio and video! an other clip from the later day without changed options (only battery because it died on me), the audio for the 30seconds we needed seems to be consistent.

the earlier day clips show a drift even after some 30 seconds. how the hell can that be?! i hope i can compensate with the H1.

editing is done via premiere with project and clips set to DSLR at 30fps.

so what build and options can be used for serious production shooting? no raw needed, just some stable and consistant working stuff...

Marsu42

Quote from: mburgst on March 31, 2014, 03:16:27 PM
so what build and options can be used for serious production shooting? no raw needed, just some stable and consistant working stuff...

Easy: Don't use a 7d at all (port not stable yet). The T-Word might be tested more on 7d atm, but code-wise it's more experimental so your best bet is to support a stable 7d ML version with filing good bug reports and testing nightly.

mburgst

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 31, 2014, 03:19:31 PM
Easy: Don't use a 7d at all (port not stable yet). The T-Word might be tested more on 7d atm, but code-wise it's more experimental so your best bet is to support a stable 7d ML version with filing good bug reports and testing nightly.

as said i tried a ML nightly and it locked up my camera when doing some testshooting.

without all those bells and whistles (raw and such) i had hoped ML would be stable to offer basic recording stuff + focus peaking (if canon doesn't make it include this... *le sigh*

mburgst

oh btw.. this i completely forgot.

when i import the audio clips from the cam into premiere those wavs are always way way way too long. like several minutes when a videoclip recorded is just like 30 seconds long. the wavs themselves seem to be ok'ish judging the content. after clip has ended there's only empty audio..

didn't the wav clip get ended until a new videoclip was started?! or something like that?

arrinkiiii

Something that I notice that I didn't know. When you press the picture style button it will appear one menu in screen, depend how many times you press it will leave you to WB menu or to Sound menu, then with joystick you can choose/control the settings without the need to go in ML main menu. Just so practical.

Other thing that I notice is when your are in crop mode if you half-press and stay press the shutter button you can change from gray preview to full color preview but if you leave the button you return to the default preview. In the past you have the ability to just click/half press one time and he stay in that preview, you press again and change the preview. Now you need to stay press for stay in that preview. It's possible to change this?

Marsu42

Quote from: mburgst on March 31, 2014, 03:25:11 PM
as said i tried a ML nightly and it locked up my camera when doing some testshooting. without all those bells and whistles (raw and such) i had hoped ML would be stable to offer basic recording stuff + focus peaking (if canon doesn't make it include this... *le sigh*

... which is exactly why the T was abandoned by the ML devs (except for one :-)): stability fixes weren't backported, giving ML a bad name and making T* (= almost solely ML code) the premier choice for all 6d, 7d an m users.

I understand your "I just want to use it no matter the future development" perspective, but right now you can either use _L and deal with issues elsewhere, or try ML once again & report bugs - with my 6d, I did the latter.

ted ramasola

Quote from: arrinkiiii on March 31, 2014, 04:21:23 PM
Other thing that I notice is when your are in crop mode if you half-press and stay press the shutter button you can change from gray preview to full color preview but if you leave the button you return to the default preview. In the past you have the ability to just click/half press one time and he stay in that preview, you press again and change the preview. Now you need to stay press for stay in that preview. It's possible to change this?

full color preview in crop mode using ML
-Press Half Shutter.

To leave it on
Go to Prefs>Misc Key settings>sticky half shutter ON

Note: Start /Stop rec button will not work when half shutter (HS) is ON so,
Start rec/Press half shutter to view in color-(when ready to stop)-press again to turn OFF/Stop rec.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

arrinkiiii

Thanks Ted, I have been looking for that option in ML menu. But if I chose that option the start/rec button don't work? It always have been like this? I think I remember half press change and then press rec button for record, no? I remember see this in bitbucket but didn't think it was for the 7D.

Will try and see the best way to work with it =))

bischofftep

Quote from: Pelican on December 21, 2013, 09:55:34 PM
If you want a stable ML on your 7D you can help testing different functions and compare these functions in TL and ML.
What the developers need mostly is feedback.

I am more than willing to help out here. I've been making bug reports on the bitbucket repository's "Issues" track: is this the best way? If so, can someone add a "7D" option in the "Version" pop-up?

I'm also willing to try some coding if that will help.
Douglas E. Bischoff
Audio/Video Production & Scoring

arrinkiiii

Quote from: bischofftep on March 31, 2014, 08:55:15 PM
I am more than willing to help out here. I've been making bug reports on the bitbucket repository's "Issues" track: is this the best way? If so, can someone add a "7D" option in the "Version" pop-up?

I'm also willing to try some coding if that will help.

If you know some code for sure that you can help the dev's.

hjulenissen

I just installed ML nightly build (march 26) for my 7D. Overall, it seems like a great improvement over the alpha that I tried a long time ago.

I did experience what seemed like occasional gui glitches (everything but the selected text item disappeared, pressing "Q" brought me back.) Is this a known issue, or would you like a reproducable case/screenshot?

-h

Haruki

hey there everyone! i have just a stupid question as i am very confused right now. :-[ had tl on card. now want to install ml. do i have to remove bootflag from camera? and how do i do that? and do i have to remove bootflag from card too? and how do i do that?