Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RolandTJ

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 17, 2014, 07:07:04 PM
Suffix of ML link for a given cam in the nightly area= required firmware version.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Official_Canon_firmware_updates

Thank you so much. I know it must seem like a silly/lazy question, but I did look very hard for a solution.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 14, 2014, 05:44:18 PM
Bugs:
Not fixed yet:
Focus hunt after dismounting "newer" lenses (100/2.8 L IS, 18-55 IS II, 55-250 IS II ...) and mounting "older" lenses (100/2.8 Makro USM, 50/1.8 II, Sigma 18-125 OS ...).
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg92378#msg92378

Seems to be fixed in today's ML nightly. Thanks, a1ex!

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 14, 2014, 05:44:18 PM

Needs confirmation, please test:
Card benchmark test will not terminate properly. Will get stuck at
[9/9] Reading: 99/100 (buf=128k)
Red LED is off.

Still there and no confirmation. That's an easy one to verify/falsify. Come on, guys ...

Ciao
Walter

arrinkiiii

Made a few testes with MLV_Rec and still got corrupted frames in the beginning of the MLV file.

GD= On
Buffer= 2

mdwhaley

Any chance of bringing GOP back to h.264?

rdickerson

Hi guys. I finally took the plunge and installed the latest ML nightly for the 7d. I know there is a lot of focus on RAW video, but I am wondering if it is possible to get 1920x1080 60p continuous without RAW? I see I can get 960x386 60p RAW. Would this be something in the FPS override module that hasn't been back ported yet? Thanks

nick.p

Quote from: rdickerson on February 22, 2014, 06:36:58 PM
Hi guys. I finally took the plunge and installed the latest ML nightly for the 7d. I know there is a lot of focus on RAW video, but I am wondering if it is possible to get 1920x1080 60p continuous without RAW? I see I can get 960x386 60p RAW. Would this be something in the FPS override module that hasn't been back ported yet? Thanks
Not possible

1%

1920x108060P is impossible to encode even if you got the LV that high. Remember its a HW encoder.

Gop and that stuff is on the other processor and while you can alter addreses and things like that I'm not sure how you'd make a cache hack from slave. So either that has to be figured out or have to find a way to run code on the 2nd proc without signed bins.

ted ramasola

ML nightly feb 22.

The black border framing overlay is buggy and is off centered.
During standby its framed low and cuts off a portion of the top.
Upon start of recording, it becomes correct.
this stays correct from here on, while in standby/record/standby... and so forth.

It can be triggered to be off centered again, if you enter ml menu, go to file manager and view a file for instance, upon
going back to LV, its off centered again, until you start recording.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

../../Makefile.user.default:24: *** missing separator.  Stop.

This is what is busted... but my make -C works

ted ramasola

the good news for the feb 22 ML nightly is.

Initial tests indicate no more pink/corrupt frames

Buffer-4, GD-on, reserve-on, ICON -on.

tested at 1X and crop mode.

Though crop mode is at 30fps for now since FPS over ride is not yet implemented in the ml nightlies.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 23, 2014, 07:14:36 AM
The black border framing overlay is buggy and is off centered.

This one sounds like a 4:3-screen quirk. Did you ever notice it on 5D2? (or can you reproduce there?)

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on February 23, 2014, 07:25:54 AM
This one sounds like a 4:3-screen quirk. Did you ever notice it on 5D2? (or can you reproduce there?)

tested various layout options aside from 4:3 and its still there. A reboot or a lv switch off/on does not correct it. Only a press of record corrects it.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Didn't mean the setting from ML menu, but Canon's screen layout for the 7D (it's a camera with a 4:3 screen).

I wanted to know if the problem is specific to 7D or to 4:3 cameras in general (the other ones relevant for raw video being 5D2 and 50D). This hint would tell me where to look first.

ted ramasola

The behavior is also present in the 5D2, feb 22 nightly.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

fluxo

hello, i´ve tested the lastest ML dev on 6D, everything worked fine, sometimes in RAW record when i´ve hit the button to stop recording it freezes, (had to remove the batery in order the screen to go off)

other report is, when i hit zoom, it did not record Raw with the cropped zoom. only normal

THRILLHO

Hey everyone,

2 questions:

1.) Can anyone give me a recap of where 7D Raw development is at this point? I only started reading the forums recently and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the information and multiple threads. It seems that 7D RAW work went became a Tragic Lantern project for awhile but now that's stopped (?) and all the Tragic Lantern features are being brought back into the main ML stem? Yes No? Is development on Tragic Lantern halted at this point? I'm just wondering what threads I should follow for news.

2.) I'd like to donate, but I don't immediately see any option on the website aside from Bitcoin (which I don't have set up and would rather not use.) Do donations get spread out to all ML folks, or to the team working on a specific camera?

arrinkiiii

Tragic is with more  features but without safe "rules", like the name say it, tragic. Now the dev's are porting stuff from TL to the main ML. 

You can download here and try/test the ML for your 7D
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ 

This is the right thread for you port your tests.

ted ramasola

Testing the Nightly from Feb 24.

1. FPS override not yest implemented. (crop mode recording is still limited due to this)
2. Overlay/black border bug- Sometimes it is off centered upon start up-way to correct is to cycle through magnify button and it will be corrected.
3. HDMI monitoring is now OK - no more errors and pink frames
4. HDMI overlays not yet working well so is best to turn off GD when recording.(This is the gd switch in raw video sub menu)
5. Playback of raw video when HDMI monitor is connected.- Lock up when Global Draw in overlays tab is OFF -this bug is for 7D only and not found in 5D2.- Solution I found is to have Gloabal draw in overlay tab -ON and GD-OFF in Raw Video sub menu.
6. 30P Recording is continuous at 1728 x 736 2.35:1 - Tested this with audio and is OK no sync or drift problems.

7. High Framerates recording Now Possible with no errors and corrupt frames.
   For 60 FPS (set in canon menu)

2.35:1 AR
   1600x486 --25"
   1536x466 --1'53"
   1472x448 --continuous recording

2:1 AR
   1408x504 --1'31"
   1344x480 --continuous recording

16:9 AR
   1344x540 --1'
   1280x514 --continuous recording

If FPS override will be ported back from TL, higher resolutions is possible.
   From TL at 50fps

2.35:1 AR
   1664x506 --continuous recording

16:9 AR
   1408x566 --continuous recording
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

THRILLHO

Quote from: arrinkiiii on February 27, 2014, 10:35:25 PM
Tragic is with more  features but without safe "rules", like the name say it, tragic. Now the dev's are porting stuff from TL to the main ML. 

You can download here and try/test the ML for your 7D
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ 

This is the right thread for you port your tests.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

So Tragic Lantern 7D is still in development then, but the features are being merged back into the main ML?

Also, is Bitcoin the only way to donate?

arrinkiiii

U more then welcome.

I think TL will stop, don't know really.  But ML nightly is almost update with the TL.  I think yes, that unfortunately bitcoin is the only way to donate.

arrinkiiii

With ML i still get pink/corrupted frames in 60fps with TL everything is ok.

mburgst

just a quick question from work, as i don't have access to my 7d at home..

for a coming project i'd need to record stuff at 60fps (video playback will be direct from pc to beamer via h264 codec). most preferably non-raw but yet 1080p, shooting normal mpg will be sufficient.

is the current magic lantern (with FPS override i guess) working on 7d without problems in this mode/configuration?

arrinkiiii

h.264 can record 60fps but only at 720p

raw can do full HD in crop mode (x5 zoom)  But only TL have fps override. 

mburgst

Quote from: arrinkiiii on March 10, 2014, 02:05:36 PM
h.264 can record 60fps but only at 720p

raw can do full HD in crop mode (x5 zoom)  But only TL have fps override.

mhh sad, i'll stick to 30fps then. worked last year that way, too.

maybe i'll shoot raw though. depends on if i find time to test it out this week.

arrinkiiii

The fps override and good 60fps is already been porting from TL to ML ?