Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stedda

Quote from: C7D203 on July 12, 2014, 03:52:05 PM
I simply format the card, put the ML files and update the firmaware and follow up by entering ML via long pressing the SET button.

Correct?

Press Trashcan to open ML Menu. Holding Set during startup tells it NOT to load ML and run Canon Firmware.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

C7D203

Quote from: Stedda on July 12, 2014, 04:08:09 PM
Press Trashcan to open ML Menu. Holding Set during startup tells it NOT to load ML and run Canon Firmware.

If I need to press the trash to load it, why do I need to press set to NOT load it? Can't I just not press anything not to load it?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: C7D203 on July 12, 2014, 05:35:17 PM
If I need to press the trash to load it, why do I need to press set to NOT load it?

Wrong. ML is loaded if SET is *not* pressed. If you need to access ML menu you have to press trashcan button.
But ML is working in the background all the time (if not bypassed by pressing SET during startup).

DFM

ML loads each time you turn on the camera - as in the code is run, and the extra functions are all defined into memory. Pressing the DELETE button simply pops open the menu. It's ML's equivalent of pressing the MENU button (that still opens Canon's menu as it always did). To put it bluntly, the DELETE button was the only one that isn't used in record mode and is present on every camera, so it was the logical choice when ML needed its own menu button.

If I need to press the trash to load it, why do I need to press set to NOT load it? Can't I just not press anything not to load it?

As to your other questions:

I need to shoot myself for youtube videos but part of what I'll use the 7D is "an extra camera" to my brother's 5D Mii when we do serious documentary work. Will probably use the 7D for close-ups from a different angle, etc.
If the main camera is shooting raw video, it would make sense to do the same just so the footage can be edited through the same workflow - but it's entirely down to what your brother's doing. Irrespective of what type of video is being shot, ML does offer a bunch of useful features - such as zebras and focus peaking - which are present on true video cameras but not on the 7D. They make it a lot easier to get your exposure and focus points right but don't affect the recording at all. Before ML came along, pro operators using a DSLR had to plug in an expensive field monitor that had those tools, in effect all ML has done is move them onto the LCD panel on your camera.

I was wondering if ML allows for better ISO performances because as much as I love my 7D and as much as it is a huge upgrade to my previous 20D (!!) I'm not impressed by it's high ISO shooting at all. Anything above 800 is meh at best.

ML does nothing to reduce high-iso noise or make the sensor more sensitive - it cannot make your 7D perform like an A7S, that's a hardware problem. What it can do is assist in getting the perfect exposure (via ETTR) so the noise is minimized, and help you to see what you're shooting by changing the LCD view. Fundamentally you're still using a 7D, which was designed for sports. If you're shooting black cats in a coal mine, you need another camera.

Stedda

If I need to press the trash to load it,

Read what I wrote.. pressing the Trashcan opens the ML Menu. I said nothing about it loading anything. Then I explained the only thing a long press on set does.

Is it me? Maybe start with the User Manual since you should get at least the basics down before trying anything.  :o :o :o :o :o
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Danialdaneshmand

Hello again.

I'm having a issue with Raw recording.
when i press the record button it says allocating 51mb data i think then it fails and says memory full which is not.

also couple of questions about installation:

-I wanna format my current memory which i have ML on , what's the protocol here?
-I have the Nightly #140 and i want to update to the latest one should overwrite ML files on my memory with the new nightly? does that fresh up my settings?
-Generally should ML files be copied to the DCIM folder or the memory index?

Thanks , Daniel

dmk

When you format in-camera it keeps ML and only deletes media

When you want to update ML, you:

1) pop the card into the computer
2) delete everything except native Canon stuff (DCIM and MISC). In other words, you delete:  ML, autoexec.bin, and 7D_203.bin
3) Copy new nightly stuff onto card (ML, autoexec.bin, and 7D_203.bin). These sit on the root of the card, PARALLEL to DCIM and MISC- not inside either of those.

Actually, I'm not sure about 7D_203... maybe that's just necessary for creating first time booting? Not sure, I just copy it anyway because it doesn't seem to hurt anything and it's easier to just copy the whole thing then to actually have to think about what's what :P

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: dmk on July 14, 2014, 07:18:10 AM
When you format in-camera it keeps ML and only deletes media

When you want to update ML, you:

1) pop the card into the computer
2) delete everything except native Canon stuff (DCIM and MISC). In other words, you delete:  ML, autoexec.bin, and 7D_203.bin
3) Copy new nightly stuff onto card (ML, autoexec.bin, and 7D_203.bin). These sit on the root of the card, PARALLEL to DCIM and MISC- not inside either of those.

Actually, I'm not sure about 7D_203... maybe that's just necessary for creating first time booting? Not sure, I just copy it anyway because it doesn't seem to hurt anything and it's easier to just copy the whole thing then to actually have to think about what's what :P
Thanks man , that really helped.
I have the nightly #157 up and running now I tested the Audio remote shot works well.
the problem with Raw recording is gone and it's working perfectly fine.
The issue with Auto ETTR was a mistake i made in SNR settings after tweaking it a little it's now good.

About the recent Ram solution which in it 7D was shining how does it apply to our shooting?
should i enable something or it's a new algorithm which is running already?
With SanDisk 8GB Ultra 50 MB/s I could only shoot at 960 , 16:9 properly which is kinda sad.

dpjpandone

the additional memory is not yet implemented in nightly builds, it's still part of a pull request, you have to set up the dev environment and compile it yourself. Don't worry about it too much, it will give you a few more seconds of recording at the higher resolutions, it's not going to give you a higher continuous res, because once it fills up you're relying on your card to keep up with the data rate. Just get a 1000x card, you won't regret it.

N/A

It's in the nightlies now, and its great. 372 MB buffer for MLV, no need to use the sJpeg setting anymore (keep it on raw through the Canon menu), indicate SRM Memory under the MLV menu, and you're in business. 13 full seconds of 23.976 fps 2496x1044 (2.39:1), which may not seem like much for a full-scale production, but would be awesome for compilation videos like car shows or promotional videos. Write speed seems to be more consistent now as well, mostly averaging 79-81 MB/s on my Lexar 1000x except when pushing it to max resolution.

Seems like buffer: 4, sound off, GD off and extra hacks: On equals out to the fastest write speed and performance, although having sound on hardly effects performance. Raw_rec gives more stable write speeds but of course doesn't have the amenities that MLV does.

Still gotta put it through the paces in normal production use but this little upgrade looks very promising.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

fableblue2010

I've been using magic Lantern for a long time on my T2i(550D) and my 7D.  But I upgraded my firmware on the 7D to 2.0.5, I know that I cannot use ml now, this fixed the issue with my photos being too soft, now they are a lot sharper.  Cannon still claims that fw2.0.3 had nothing to do with the autofocus (bs) and they also say that 2.0.5 has nothing to do with the AF(bs again).  Either way, my question is are yinz working on a way that ml can work with fw 2.0.5 or is it possible to install both fw2.0.3 and ml on the same card to install at will? :o :-\

Thanks
T2i, 7D
Canon - 28mm, 50mm, 24-70mm
Sigma's - 70-200mm, APX 2x, Macro 100mm

Walter Schulz

I would suggest to use three cards for this. One with Canon's firmware version 2.0.3, one with 2.0.5 and a card running ML (bootable + files + directories).
The cards holding Canon's firmware may be some cheap or small capacity cards.

dpjpandone

Quote from: fableblue2010 on July 19, 2014, 03:07:33 PM
I've been using magic Lantern for a long time on my T2i(550D) and my 7D.  But I upgraded my firmware on the 7D to 2.0.5, I know that I cannot use ml now, this fixed the issue with my photos being too soft, now they are a lot sharper.  Cannon still claims that fw2.0.3 had nothing to do with the autofocus (bs) and they also say that 2.0.5 has nothing to do with the AF(bs again).  Either way, my question is are yinz working on a way that ml can work with fw 2.0.5 or is it possible to install both fw2.0.3 and ml on the same card to install at will? :o :-\

Thanks

I don't believe these claims, do you have proof that there is actually a difference in the image between 2.03 - 2.05?

Walter Schulz

I didn't believe either but this is just off-topic as it gets. Suppose "General Discussion" -> "General Chat" might be a better place.

brihan

First time post. Hope it is ok to report bugs here.

I am using the 2014/July/19th Nightly build for the 7D. I have turned on "Movie Restart" in the Movie tweaks section. It works fine, but manually stopping the recording by pressing the record button isnt actually stopping recording. It seems the only way to stop the camera from continously recording is to go back into the Magic Lantern menu and toggle the "Movie Restart" setting again.

The user guide states that "Movie Restart" can be over-ridden by manually stopping recording, and this is the case with ML on my EOS-M.

Hope this gets fixed.
Thanks

handbanana

Hey guys, so I shoot on a 50D and a wondering how stable the 7D is - Im going to test my 50D vs my 60D for noticeable resolution differences and if I prefer the 60D I may wanna grab a 7D (based on initial tests the differences seem very minimal). But if it's not gonna be stable I may as well stay with the 50D which is pretty stable.

So yeah, how stable would you say? Is FPS override working yet? Random stops? Pink frames or weird lines? Color shifts or random errors that ruin files and make you have to do footer edits?

And lastly, does Dual ISO work for video (it doesnt on the 50D yet and this is killing me altho I can always do 10s clips on the 60D :/ )

fableblue2010

Quote from: dpjpandone on July 19, 2014, 10:50:02 PM
I don't believe these claims, do you have proof that there is actually a difference in the image between 2.03 - 2.05?

Thanks for the help.
No proof.  If there is not a thread started in the General discussion on this I will start on, maybe it is just me.  ::)

Again thanks
T2i, 7D
Canon - 28mm, 50mm, 24-70mm
Sigma's - 70-200mm, APX 2x, Macro 100mm

drkamikaze

Quote from: Danialdaneshmand on July 14, 2014, 02:00:10 PM
About the recent Ram solution which in it 7D was shining how does it apply to our shooting?

Sorry to have to ask (I tried searching), but what is the RAM solution? Seems like there have been a lot of awesome new developments in the nightlies this month, but I'm not quite following exactly what they are, except for the crucial addition of FPS override (thank goodness!!)

denhaan

Where can I find the Magic lantern file for the 7D to download from the Mac?

barepixels

Quote from: denhaan on July 21, 2014, 05:27:49 AM
Where can I find the Magic lantern file for the 7D to download from the Mac?

go here and choose your 7d

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
5D2 + nightly ML

samotmanam

Hello guys,
just wandering if there is a way to have monitor on HDMI output and still have the LCD showing on 7D?
Tks

dpjpandone

Quote from: samotmanam on July 22, 2014, 12:00:11 AM
Hello guys,
just wandering if there is a way to have monitor on HDMI output and still have the LCD showing on 7D?
Tks

Not possible.

UPDATE!

I am now able to record with hdmi in 1080i mode with no tearing if set canon Q menu to 1080 30p, and use FPS override to get 23.976

can someone else test with these settings and confirm?

fkloskowski

I upgraded my 7D firmware to v2.05 before finding out Magic Lantern will not work with this version.  I understand I can downgrade to firmware version 2.03 but the problem is searches of this forum and the general internet turned up no firmware v2.03 file to downgrade with.  I did find this post further up in this thread:

Downgrade to firmware 2.0.3 and follow instructions on page one of this thread.
You will find links to older firmware here and other infos, too.

But the link does not lead to the instructions nor the v2.03 firmware?

Apparently Canon does not allow you to download old firmware as searches of their site turned up nothing.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: fkloskowski on July 23, 2014, 04:20:05 AMBut the link does not lead to the instructions nor the v2.03 firmware?

http://pel.hu/getpage.php?pg=eoscard&ac=1
Download the file, expand content, copy content to a card, insert card, run Canon's firmware update.