Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Please format card in cam. Take card out and use computer to include ML files on card. Put card back into 7D and run firmware update from canon menu.

Report back when you can.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

Stop!
Kingkon: Please clarify! You are able to startup cam with ML enabled card inserted?

KingKon

Dear Walter & DeafEyeJedi,
Status report:
I managed to run ML magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug02.7D203 - and did an uninstall with this version(magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug02.7D203) - seemed to work.
Then ran ML magiclantern-Nightly.2016May16.7D203 -  and managed to get to where I was when I started = Semi Brick!
camera works as long as I don't insert card with ML magiclantern-Nightly.2016May16.7D203.
So Logic says: Unistall magiclantern-Nightly.2016May16.7D203 and Reinstall the one that worked - magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug02.7D203 -> a lot of formating in cardreader and in cam and loading and reloading of files onto cards - in case error lies with the card...same result no matter which card
Then Tried to run the process and I keep getting the same message:
update file error
please check memory card
and reload battery and try again

Oh man I sound like a stuck record!
Sorry Chaps - she is still a Semi Brick...
Any other suggestions?

Walter Schulz

Follow this procedure:

Remove card, remove battery.
Wipe ML directory and autoexec.bin from card.
Copy extracted nightly build content (2014Aug02) to card.
Insert battery.
Insert card into cam and startup.
Q: Is the camera starting up and are you able to access Canon and ML menu?

If not: Report back
If able: Delete ML directory and autoexec.bin from card.
Copy extracted nightly build contents to card (2016May16) to card.
Insert card into cam and startup.
Report back results. (Do *not* try to install/uninstall anything)

KingKon

Hi Walter,
quick Question:
Before I copy the nightly build onto the card - should I format the card in camera or should I skip this step?

KingKon

Hi Walter,
Okay I am impatient - so I went for the version with Cam format before and first tried to just run ML with the card in cam (no install) but nothing - like no ML is installed so I tried running the firmware update/install - that just gave me the good old:
"update file error
please check memory card
and reload battery and try again"
message - so I removed the battery and wrote you this message -

chris_overseas

Without following this too closely, it sounds to me like your camera runs the old 2014Aug02 build just fine but hangs/crashes when booting the newer 2016May16 version. If so, try this (might take a while...):

• Get 2014Aug02 installed and working again.
  • Turn off camera, remove battery and card.
  • Put card in PC. Delete ML directory and autoexec.bin from card.
  • Copy 2016May16 ML directory and autoexec.bin onto card (don't format or anything else).
  • Replace battery, insert card, turn on camera. Presumably it will fail to start again.
  • Now go back and repeat from step 2, except try a build from e.g. mid 2015 at step 3.
  • If the build works, go back to step 2 and try a newer build (e.g. from late 2015). If it fails, try an older build (e.g. from early 2015).
Once you narrow down exactly which build introduces the problem it should be easier for a developer to figure out what's wrong.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Ottoga

Also, you shouldn't have to reload the firmware. This was only necessary before the autoloader was perfected for the 7D.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Walter Schulz

@KingKon:
There are three things ML needs to startup:
- A camera with "bootflag" set (that's the only change done to cam during installation/uninstallation)
- A bootable card (that's done by using tools (MacBoot/EOScard or during installation)
- ML files and directories on card

Uninstall/install procedure is not necessary after first install: You have a bootable card, a cam with bootflag set. To switch from one Nightly Build to another just replace the files on card.
That's all.
By formatting card in cardreader card will become non-bootable. So don't format until advised to do so.

To put things together:
Old Nightly Build works without troubles.
New Nightly Build stalls cam.

You can try other builds between those to determine which change is the one causing your problem
or
just wait for a1ex to hunt down the bug.

Johnston

Hey I have some problems with my 7D.
I just installed for the first time yesterday ML on my 7D and my first impression was "Wow!".
But then I realized that something is a bit weird.

1. The Live View when taking Videos is pretty dark. First I though it is because of the LCD Brightness, but it is not. Even when I make the aperture to 3.5 and exposer time to 30, the picture is still very dark, even if I am in a lighted room. When I turn the ISO up to 900 it is okay, but that is not that what I want. ISO should be low because I don't want some dirty noise in my video.
So I checked the Video mode in my 700D with Canon firmware if it was really not ML's fault. I set the 700D also to f3.5 and exposer time 30s, but Iso to 100 (same room, same light, same lens). Here the preview picture was very bright even with low ISO.

So what is wrong with my magic lantern that the Video mode is so? If I am in the picture mode to make pictures, everything is alright, this problem only appears in Video mode.
And yes even the recordings on the pc are then very dark if I record with ML.

2. Is it normal that the camera heats up very quick? The display tells me that the temperature is 49 Degrees (Celcius).

3. When I use follow focus function, sometimes ML tells me that the focus was not saved and then my camera freezes. Normal or not?

Thanks for your help.

KingKon

Hi Walter and DeafEyeJedi,
I bought a new card reader and that solved the problem...go figure.
thanks for all the patients and help - yeay to Magic Lantern.
running ML May 16 and all looks fine.
:)

DeafEyeJedi

@KingKon -- You positively sure that the card reader was actually the culprit in here for your 7D's semi brick?

At least you got it working and able to use the latest nightly on it. Much credit actually goes to @Walter Schulz.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ico

Hello there,

I am trying to install ML on my 7D (mk1). That works well, except that the card led keeps flashing forever. Now the instructions are clear enough re the canon firmware version, but even after downloading and installing firmware v2.0.3 via the ML download page from pel.hu, the issue remains. Not surprisingly, for it tested byte-identical to the one I had from Canon. What am I doing wrong? I have used build 2016Jun137d203.

thanks!

ico

Have I said something wrong, or is there nobody here?

Walter Schulz

Reset cam to factory defaults. Reset c.Fn settings.
Switch cam to photo mode M.

Insert card into cardreader and format it there.
Insert card into cam and format again.
Copy Canon firmware file 2.0.3 to card and run firmware update.
Delete file from card.
Download nightly build zip once again.
Expand zip and copy extracted files to card.
Redo installation.

Report back.

bkummel

ico, it is "normal" that the card LED flashes every x seconds when Ml is loaded. I don't like it either, but there's nothing one can do but uninstall ML.

Sseguin

A lot of sites make mention of ML supporting headphone monitoring on the 7D however the ML site doesn't show the as supported.

At this time is it supported or it may never be?

I am about to buy a used body and debating between 60D and 7D and this is my sticking point.

ansius

there is no sound monitoring to headphones on 7D, at least in nightly builds or elsewhere that I would know of.

on 60D vs 7D, the major difference form video perspective is CF vs SD cards (7D CF -> can shoot in RAW, SD to slow) and 7D has full resolution always on HDMI, important for external monitoring. I had the same dilemma, chose 7D (there are more + to it than I mentioned), audio monitoring can be solved with a http://www.juicedlink.com/ preamp that has headphones out.
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

_OLLE_

I have had some serious issues with 2,5k raw recording on my 7D. It happens in almost every clip. I post a picture so you guys can se what I mean ( look at his face!). What could be wrong?

Frank7D

_OLLE_,

The processor is probably getting overloaded. I used to get that result ("frame tearing") when I used the grayscale preview (for true framing). I haven't used it since and haven't had the issue.

_OLLE_

Okey thanks a lot @Frank7D! So you recommend me using the standard canon 5x crop preview?

Frank7D

Yes, but of course it is a crop of the actual frame. I use the greyscale preview to check the framing and turn it off before I begin recording.

Roberto Mena

Recently out of every 5 or 7 takes I shoot with my 7D (MLV), the footage comes out with a green tint to it, even though I shoot with VisionColor's flat picture profile. Anyone have any idea how to fix this or what is wrong? Thanks.

Frank7D

Roberto Mena, I don't know what is causing that, but a picture profile will not affect raw footage.