[DONE] How do I dump 5D3 firmware 1.2.3?

Started by chris_overseas, January 05, 2014, 06:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliman84

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with using the modules from the 5D3 1.1.3 nightly builds? Or is that a no-no?

jpaana

Quote from: aliman84 on March 06, 2014, 04:36:09 PM
Has anyone had good or bad experiences with using the modules from the 5D3 1.1.3 nightly builds? Or is that a no-no?

1.1.3 modules don't work with 1.2.3.

aliman84

Quote from: jpaana on March 06, 2014, 04:37:45 PM
1.1.3 modules don't work with 1.2.3.

Thanks, I won't be trying that today then :)

Steven

I just tested the Feb. 19 build cause I am preparing a short film that's supposed to be shot this weekend. I would like to record a backup to a recorder via HDMI to be extra save.
The whole plot takes place inside a car and we want to mount the camera outside the car and remotely trigger start stop with a wireless photo trigger. To monitor if the camera is actually recording or if it has stopped cause of skipped frames i wanted to put a long cable into the headphone jack and listen to the start stop beep with headphones because the cameras lcd is out of sight. Unfortunatly there is no beep anymore with the feb. 19 build that i tried. Can someone help me on this?

dubzeebass

Quote from: Steven on March 06, 2014, 05:15:06 PM
Can someone help me on this?

RAW_REC still has the beep but no Audio.

alfo

I've got this up and running on my 5D mkIII with an Atomos Ninja 2 and I've had great success so far - thanks very much for all this.

The only thing that doesn't work for me is when I mirror the screen to HDMI so I have clean HDMI and overlays on the back of the 5D, global draw doesn't seem to work.

I cycle through all the options using the INFO button but whenever I go into ML and try to turn GD on I get the 'Press Info to get rid of Canon menus' message.
5D mkIII 1.2.3 w/ ML || 600D w/ ML || Atomos Ninja 2 || 50mm f1.4 || 85mm f1.8 || 20-40mm f2.8

marekk

Quote from: alfo on March 08, 2014, 04:36:43 PM
I've got this up and running on my 5D mkIII with an Atomos Ninja 2 and I've had great success so far - thanks very much for all this.

The only thing that doesn't work for me is when I mirror the screen to HDMI so I have clean HDMI and overlays on the back of the 5D, global draw doesn't seem to work.

I cycle through all the options using the INFO button but whenever I go into ML and try to turn GD on I get the 'Press Info to get rid of Canon menus' message.

I'm testing 5D3 1.2.3 with lilliput external screen and I've got the same issue, something is blocking global draw. I think something should be corrected in zebra.c

#ifdef CONFIG_5D3
    if (hdmi_code==5 && video_mode_resolution>0) // unusual VRAM parameters
        MENU_SET_WARNING(MENU_WARN_NOT_WORKING, "Not compatible with HDMI 50p/60p.");
    #endif
    if (lv && lv_disp_mode && ZEBRAS_IN_LIVEVIEW)
        MENU_SET_WARNING(MENU_WARN_NOT_WORKING, "Press " INFO_BTN_NAME " (outside ML menu) to turn Canon displays off.");
    if (global_draw && lv && !ZEBRAS_IN_LIVEVIEW)
    {
        MENU_SET_ENABLED(0);
    }
    if (global_draw && !lv && !ZEBRAS_IN_QUICKREVIEW)
    {
        MENU_SET_ENABLED(0);
    }

a1ex

The issue is a little more complex: ML overlays were simply not designed for dual screen output.

At this stage, if you can document all the HDMI issues so I can get a bigger picture, would be helpful. Right now, I think a simple graceful fallback would be enough; anything more than that would likely need either ugly hacks or major redesign of the graphics backend.

marekk

Quote from: a1ex on March 12, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
The issue is a little more complex: ML overlays were simply not designed for dual screen output.

At this stage, if you can document all the HDMI issues so I can get a bigger picture, would be helpful. Right now, I think a simple graceful fallback would be enough; anything more than that would likely need either ugly hacks or major redesign of the graphics backend.

ok, we've got 2 possible scenarios:

1. HDMI mirroring (Canon LCD and external monitor turned on)
External monitor shows clean video display without any zebras, canon menus etc. Canon internal LCD works in standard mode (menus, options, live view etc). In this mode ML overlays should be visible only on Canon internal LCD so redesign is not required... but unfortunately global draw can't be enabled.

if (lv && lv_disp_mode && ZEBRAS_IN_LIVEVIEW)
        MENU_SET_WARNING(MENU_WARN_NOT_WORKING, "Press " INFO_BTN_NAME " (outside ML menu) to turn Canon displays off.");

2. No mirroring.
Canon LCD is disabled.
External monitor works like a internal LCD.
External monitor has usually 16:9 display, internal - 3:2. ML overlays are centered on the screen because of design prepared for 3:2 display.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqkyf2afdnknp39/2014-03-12%2016.36.31.jpg

a1ex

1. check lv_disp_mode in PROP_HOUTPUT_TYPE (propvalues.c); should be 0 when Canon overlays are disabled. You may also want to fake ext_monitor_hdmi so ML thinks there's no external monitor connected (which is not very nice if you ask me).

2. here, firmware 1.2.3 no longer behaves like all other Canon cameras.

budafilms

I want to try 1.2.3, can someone provide me the last - or best - build?
any suggestion? :P

marekk

When mirroring is enabled LV_DISP_MODE is set to 2.

a1ex

Major progress: 5D3 ML can now restore itself after formatting the card. Grab your compilers and test it out!

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/b1296f05fb56

The stub for this feature was quite different from the other cameras (besides the UI quirks on the dual slot, which were easy to sort out). Chris_overseas assisted me in finding cf_device, and we plan to do a writeup of the process as a small reverse engineering tutorial (that is, some ideas about what to do when stubs can no longer be found by pattern matching).

If you are wondering: this line of code took me 3 hours of digging in Canon firmware (times reconstructed from chat logs)
+NSTUB(   0x36184, cf_device_ptr)    // cf_device is at MEM(MEM(0x36184) + 0x10)

(all the other code + hunting stupid typos + testing all the card combinations took 1.5 hours)

a1ex

Any volunteers to try this while it's really hot? (PM me; 1.2.3 only)

Audionut

I have a wedding shoot tomorrow, otherwise I would be all over it.

Free to brake my camera Monday, if there are no other volunteers.  :P

DavidSh

Quote from: a1ex on March 15, 2014, 04:25:55 PM
Any volunteers to try this while it's really hot? (PM me; 1.2.3 only)

Looks promising,

does it mean we are closer to have ml install  straight  on the 1.2.3?
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

a1ex

Yes, I've asked for volunteers to test exactly that (install+uninstall on 1.2.3).

DavidSh

Quote from: a1ex on March 15, 2014, 04:36:17 PM
Yes, I've asked for volunteers to test exactly that (install+uninstall on 1.2.3).

I have a brand new 5d3 1.2.3 clean without ml.
I cant compile on my mac

if you or some one else will upload a compiled version i will be happy to volunteer.

a1ex

Check nightly builds.

If it works, I'll announce it today or tomorrow (with install details & stuff).

DavidSh

Quote from: a1ex on March 15, 2014, 06:24:49 PM
Check nightly builds.

If it works, I'll announce it today or tomorrow (with install details & stuff).
Just download and installed
working!

DavidSh

on the first startup it took some time and the led was allways on.
i shot it down, took the battery out and restarted, working!

it also did some sd card test.

DavidSh

installed again on some other card
again, working good.
on first run it does an sd check, works o.k

modules etter dual iso mlv rec file manager working o.k
mlv snd o.k

recording o.k

a1ext you are a king!
big thanks to chris!

DavidSh

format card restore ml :) working.

checked rushes on my mac include dual iso and ettr  - looks good.

Stedda

This is epic!

Thanks for all the hard work guys!!!!!  8)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

bigbadw0lf

Ooooooooo, My boot flag disabled.......

Nice work guys, wow.  Amazing!

I got my MIII 2 weeks ago, and have been rolling along with this tread, using the 1.2.3 ONLY the entire time.

This is amazing work, thanks to you guys for what you do.

I have disabled boot-flag, and re-enabled it, and am using the current nightly build.

This build is however giving me problems in both RAW and MLV recording.  I lose frame real early, was using the previous one (from dropbox above) since it was posted with no issues.

Any one else?  Any thoughts?  I'm too new to really know where to go first, this thing worked right from the start last time.  ha