[DONE] How do I dump 5D3 firmware 1.2.3?

Started by chris_overseas, January 05, 2014, 06:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marekk

mlv_rec is working, "memory hacks" doesn't cause any issues, no pink frames

noix222

i cant find any proper way of getting ML working with 1.2.3... i really appreciate if someone could help me... it seems faster with 1.2.3 and i need to get 30fps continuous working for a project. super thanks!

THANKS a lot ! Audionut.. sorrry > . .. for my lack of attention !

can i replace old modules with the new ones from NIGHTLY BUILDS ?

Audionut

Reading usually helps.

Most modules need changes to be compatible with 1.2.3.  I've included all of the standard modules with my build.  Is there a specific module you needed?

noix222

pompeiisneaks

with the latest version I've had no problem using raw and mvl raw recording.  I've not tested for long periods of time, but they build fine and run fine on .123.

~Phil

Audionut

MODULE_CFLAGS += -I../../src/
ML_MODULES_STATIC ?=
ML_MODULES_DYNAMIC ?= raw_rec file_man pic_view ettr dual_iso autoexpo arkanoid silent dot_tune mlv_play mlv_rec mlv_snd

Looks like you are in luck  ;)

pompeiisneaks

so yeah noix222 the builds posted here have support for mlv recording and raw recording, you'll need to download them and try, using it for a project may be a bit premature, just a warning, this is very alpha build at this point.  If you're making money with this, it may be a bit too sketchy to try it.  But you're welcome to give it a go, the more data shown that it works the better.

~Phil

noix222

well yeah thanks guys a lot for the answers!!! i did a few tests yesterday.. so the first BUILD magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb04.5D3123... in both of them i just tried RAW_REC and MLV_REC.... with the raw rec the max MB i get is 98... nothing more. MLV the SD is giving me 19mb but the CF comes out 50mb... not as power... it would be really nice if it could pump the 100MB CF to add the 20MB from the SD. The newer build i tested (magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb11.5D3123) didn't work. i dont know why, everythime i press record in RAW mode or MLV more the recording doesn't start....

marekk

a1ex

Try this:

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/
cd magic-lantern/
hg update 5D3-123
hg merge unified

but you'll get merge conflicts in io_crypt...

alMalsamo

5D MIII owner here, and *extremely* happy to hear that some others are getting clean HDMI output whilst recording RAW onto CF cards... the prospect of merging the official features of Canon's 1.2.3 with improved integration and stability of ML is incredibly exciting for me!

I'd love to ask those of you who have acheived simultaneous clean HDMI & RAW recording about the details of the video stream being recorded via HDMI.  What device (if any) are you using to record the clean HDMI signal, and is the uncompressed data being encoded to a different format, such as ProRes, prior to saving?

I understand that the HDMI output, whilst "clean" and without any menus overlayed, is only YCbCr 4:2:2 with an 8-bit colour palette, which should make it inferior to the RAW video that ML enables with a full 14-bit colour palette.  If the HDMI output at 4:2:2 is saved uncompressed (as it is sent via HDMI with Canon 1.2.3), then it should make for some very interesting comparisons if we can make the same shots with both 4:2:2 8-bit & RAW 14-bit uncompressed files saved concurrently!

Thank you all for your creatively intelligent hacking to port all existing functionality to 1.2.3, and even fixing previously broken features along the way!!  Three thumbs up!  ;D

Audionut

An updated build:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/Builds/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb19.5D3123.zip

Todo:

Fast zebras
    Card format
    Bump module API
    Installer/uninstaller (bootflag)
    ?? (test it out and let me know what used to work in 113 and now doesn't)

This build also contains the updated module changes.

And feedback for that should be left here.

@alMalsamo

Probably best to wait for the port to be completed before asking about compatibility with devices.

marekk

Quote from: a1ex on February 16, 2014, 12:18:41 PM
Try this:

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/
cd magic-lantern/
hg update 5D3-123
hg merge unified

but you'll get merge conflicts in io_crypt...

thx, it works (without io_crypt)

merging modules/io_crypt/io_crypt.c
warning: conflicts during merge.
merging modules/io_crypt/io_crypt.c incomplete! (edit conflicts, then use 'hg resolve --mark')
merging src/raw.c
merging src/reboot.c
merging src/tweaks.c
81 files updated, 3 files merged, 43 files removed, 1 files unresolved

a1ex

Cool. Most other experiments seem to merge cleanly here (right now I'm running 5D3-123 merged with unified, unified-fio and module-tags).

marekk

I'm on next training in Prague right now and I'm shooting some night timelapses and ML on 1.2.3 looks stable for me. I'm using only intervalometer and raw histobar in preview after shoots but no errors, hangs etc..

a1ex

That's a good sign.

I still see the corrupted video frames every now and then (those reported by pompeiisneaks), but much less frequent than before implementing the pink frame fix. Still, if I were to record anything, I don't have confidence to do so without checking the raw preview first.

I've never seen this kind of frames on 1.1.3.

aliman84

I've been running the 19th Feb build for a few days and used it on a shoot yesterday for product shots.

Camera: 5D mkiii, Cards: KB 64GB 1000x & 1050x.

I shot both raw_rec and mlv_rec both at 1920x1080 25fps (mlv_snd was disabled as no sound was required). I had no problems or pink frames appeared. I had both hacks enabled and got continuous recording mostly, occasionally debug reported recording would last 1000ish frames, but then increased until continuous was reported.

Next I will test mlv_rec with mlv_snd enabled and also card spanning when I get a free day/evening. Great work on the port to 1.2.3 so I can now have a clean HDMI feed to my ext monitor :)

VisualPursuit

Does that mean we are approaching a new unified that holds both 5D Mk2 and 5D Mk3?

Would be like x-mas, easter and birthday on one day......

djpets

Zebra running very slow with this build https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/Builds/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb19.5D3123.zip
Canon 5d mark III  firmware 1.2.3 tamron 24-70 f/2.8 di vc
Sample and previous versions, is also slowly.

bennylie

:) I have use the my 550D with ML 1~2 years.
    Now I have 5D Mk3 with FW 1.2.3.
    I never setup the bootflag and how do I get start?
    I want to try this build https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34113196/ML/Builds/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb19.5D3123.zip
    But seems there is no .flr file and I can't process FW update.
    I saw many procedure is assume the bootflag is enabled but can't search out the procedure without bootflag enabled.

I have try using the bootflag http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir
   Seems it does not work, the screen is block after I choose the FW update and the Card read/write LED is continue on/off with a low frequency.
   on........................off..........................on...........................off

chris_overseas

Currently the only way is to downgrade to 1.1.3 (Canon says you can't but flashing 1.1.3 over 1.2.3 works fine), then enable the bootflag, then flash back to 1.2.3.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

bennylie

:) Thanks, I will roll back my FW to 1.1.3 and use the build for 1.1.3.
    I think I can't roll back FW in the beginning due to Cannon said I can't flash the FW back to 1.1.3

DavidSh

How hard is it for some one who know a bit of asp and java to help build the installer for 1.2.3
I own a 600d with ml and new 5d3 with 1.2.3 and following after this topic from day one.

Didn't installed ml because i don't want to downgrade and upgrade again.

cheers.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

guerrillaRAW

Quote from: chris_overseas on March 01, 2014, 06:37:47 PM
Currently the only way is to downgrade to 1.1.3 (Canon says you can't but flashing 1.1.3 over 1.2.3 works fine), then enable the bootflag, then flash back to 1.2.3.

I did this and have ML working...I'm currently on the 2/19 build that was posted a few response back...I'm new to all of this but liking the option to get the most out of the cameras features. Besides this thread is there another place to download current builds to test out as they are available...?