Bad (hot,stuck) pixel(?) with 50D raw video in Davinci Resolve

Started by p48l0, January 05, 2014, 01:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p48l0

Hi guys

I'd like to show you a problem that occur to me when I open my DNG files into Resolve (with every version 9, 9.1.5, 10, 10.0.2)

here are the links
https://www.wuala.com/paolosmali/condivisibile/00086400_00000_montage.tif/?key=f4dWvY11MZHx
https://www.wuala.com/paolosmali/condivisibile/00086400_00000_ingrandimento.tif/?key=f4dWvY11MZHx

I found these shape of dots always in the same position in my monitor windows inside resolve with every shots.

Maybe someone could upload some dng from a 50D for me so I can try with dngs from another camera.(50D)

I think is a debayering problem because of many threads i've read not because  im an expert.Indeed I dont have the same problem in acr.

I've tried raw2dng, raw2cdng, rawanizer (dng amd cineform) but the point is not there.
I've tried the new 15dec tragic lantern from andy600 using mlv too but same dots.

I'd like to follow the workflow dng-resolve-AVID-resolve, with AE and then DNxHD or TIFF (never tried) is too long and I see a kind of compression in the blacks but if there arent other solutions...

While I was writing this topic I've read about raw to Log conversion. I'll give it a try as soon as I can.

Anyway thanks for this amazing jobs...

AH and I also tried to manually clean the sensor for rempping the dots but I thinks that it's only for photos not for video trick

RenatoPhoto

Use PinkDot remover or rawtherapee or Adobe Camera RAW

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.0

Update: pinkDot remover is not used in 50D 600D cameras, so you have rawtherapee or ACR
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

vickersdc

Looks like you will need to use RawTherapee - it's certainly what I use when I shoot raw on my 600D and it does a good job :)

I use RAWMagic to create the DNG sequence, then open up the first one on RAWTherapee, select  the option to remove dead pixels and then process it. That gives a 'corrected' 16-bit TIF file and a .pp3 file that can be used in the command line to do all the remaining DNGs.

If you are on a Mac, you can use

/Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee -o "output_dir" -t -p "dir/filename.pp3" -c "input_dir_containing_DNGs"

You can import the TIF files into Resolve with no issues.

Hope it helps?
Farnham360: my personal video project for 2014... http://www.farnham360.co.uk
Learn the basics of Davinci Resolve 10 Lite by following the tutorials at http://www.davidvickers.co.uk
Twitter: @DVMediaPro

p48l0

thanks man (I had read yout answer in the other post too) and to renatophoto too,

I hope, I'm going to give it a try this very morning
anyway i'm on a pc win7 but don't seem to be a deal
I'll let you know

p48l0

Is there  anybody that knows the command line to use in windows (for .pp3)?

Levas

Quote from: vickersdc on January 05, 2014, 11:16:36 PM
Looks like you will need to use RawTherapee - it's certainly what I use when I shoot raw on my 600D and it does a good job :)

I use RAWMagic to create the DNG sequence, then open up the first one on RAWTherapee, select  the option to remove dead pixels and then process it. That gives a 'corrected' 16-bit TIF file and a .pp3 file that can be used in the command line to do all the remaining DNGs.

If you are on a Mac, you can use

/Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee -o "output_dir" -t -p "dir/filename.pp3" -c "input_dir_containing_DNGs"

You can import the TIF files into Resolve with no issues.

Hope it helps?

Aha, I was already wondering how to do the same correction in Raw-Therapee to a whole bunch of files.
(even started a topic:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9836.0)

The command line way you're describing above, is that the only way ?
I could do that in terminal, but is that really the only way ?
In the GUI of raw-therapee you can copy your picture settings to the clipboard and past it on another file, isn't there a way in resolve to select ALL the pictures in one folder and then do the pasting ?

Levas

Somebody told me a way to do the edit in RAW therapee without the command line.

You can select multiple images in RAW therapee with the "Ctrl  A" key combination.

Edit one picture, copy current processing profile to the clipboard (there's a button on the GUI interface in RAW therapee for this).
Use Ctrl A to select all the pictures in a folder and use the paste button to apply the processing profile to all the selected pictures.

vickersdc

Yep, that's a quick way to do it for a few DNG sequences, but I use a command line as I can build it into a script to apply the same PP3 file to lots of directories, and have the output TIF files also put in specific directories.

However, your way is quicker for a couple of clip sequences :)
Farnham360: my personal video project for 2014... http://www.farnham360.co.uk
Learn the basics of Davinci Resolve 10 Lite by following the tutorials at http://www.davidvickers.co.uk
Twitter: @DVMediaPro

hjfilmspeed

I found that Rawtherapee had an amazing dead pixel remover. But I like the The look of the debayer and highlight retention of ACR but its slow as dirt for processing. resolve is just sooo much faster. So on my last edit (70 plus clips non commercial) I processed all the clips in resolve with my desired luts and grading and on the lesser affending clips with 3 or 4 speckles, I just used local adjustments with a blur node and the circular mask at 1 size. You can copy and paste the node to other clips if they have similar specks. i then exported all the clips to avi (or what ever) even the heavy offenders with 20 plus specks which i did not fix in resolve since since retouching is way to slow in resolve. Then i exported the heavy offenders (20 plus specks some even up in the 50s) to tiff sequences from resolve. I would then open the tiffs in ACR and use a custom brush with the sharpness all the way down and the noise reduction all the way up at like 2 or 3 pix in size and de-speck. While the sequences would process at the speed of a snail i would cut my avi clips in sony vegas. once all the heavy offending tiff sequences were done, if i already cut there twin avi, I would replace the video file with the tiff sequence. I only had about 4 clips with 20 plus dead pixs (these clips were high iso at 1.5 fps so im starting to think its sensor dust maybe) so in sony veags it took no time at all to replace the avi with the now cleaned tiff sequences. Seemed to be the best solution for this project but even so i still missed a few here and there. This is probably not the best method though especially for the pattern noise issue off the other cams out there. This was done on the 5d3

I read somewhere that a1ex had modified the rawtherepee code and got better highlights from it. I forgot where though. I didnt try the other methods of debayering just the amaze method. It seem ok but it didnt seem as clean as adobe. i never rendered out of rawtherapee either so i dont know how its speed compares to resolve or ACR

Hope this helps a little any other tips on this would be awesome please. Unless theres a better faster method of despecking in resolve.

I also hate that in resolve if you enable mouse zooming, you cant move the image around if your zoomed in. It just zooms in on the center. and you almost need to be at 100% to see all the dead pix. Anyone know a way around this? oooo one forum said this but i havent tried it "Use the middle mouse button and drag the frame!"

p48l0

QuoteI found that Rawtherapee had an amazing dead pixel remover.

yeah...me too but I dont like how the TIFFs come out from RT. Maybe I didn't play around enough to find a good way to do it.

But yes Resolve is really faster then the other workflows. I tried to do something like hjfilmspeed said but in Avid MC.

When I finish my first adjustments I can go in avid via a .AAF file and DNxHD transcode and then return to Resolve for the final grade.
But the last time I use Avid in this process I prepare an effect preset to apply to all the clips I want. I use the paint effect and design a little mask just bigger then the dead pixel(s) and then I change the mode (like in photoshop) in median.

THat's it

hjfilmspeed

If Resolve had slightly cleaner debayering and a dead pixel remover like RT man would that be fanstastic!

p48l0

Maybe I found a better and faster way to remove the dead pixel(s). I tried this http://www.playtool.com/pages/pixelpatcher/pixelpatcher.html and in the two times that I used the plugin it worked quite well.

Basicallly you shoot a clip and from that clip you design a b/w map of your dead pixel. Then aplly this openFX effect to the last node of your color work and link the patch file you just created.

I think it does a good job and seems to be the less destructive.

hjfilmspeed

wowowowowowoww this looks awesome!!!!!!! this is awesome great find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a great find IMO by p48l0 http://www.playtool.com/pages/pixelpatcher/pixelpatcher.html

I tried it out last nite and its awesome. You can also use it if you didnt shoot with your lens cap on. Just go to the last frame of your vidoe clip in sonyvegas/resolve, click the save image icon, save as a png, pull it up in photoshop, duplicate the layer. on the duplicate go to image, adjustments then levels. drag the black level all the way to the right so your duplicate is now black. Lower the opacity to 10 percent so you can see your non black image through the black one. zoom in to about 200 percent, get your pencil tool out, change color to white and adjust size to 2 pix or so. Make sure your on you duplicate image and hunt the dead pix and put a lil dot on your duplicate image where there are. You white dot might be gray at this point but when you done bring the opacity back to 100 and you have you black image with white dots mapping out your dead pix for your patch file. I save as a tiff saving all layers in case i missed one and save to the name of the video file you plan to patch. then go back over to resolve or sonyveags (i keep both photoshop and sony vegas open so i can toggle back and forth). Drop the pixel patcher on you clip, browse for you black with white dots tiff, then make sure patch is selected. Its default blur/radius setting was perfect for me. AWESOME FIND p48l0

p48l0

QuoteI also hate that in resolve if you enable mouse zooming, you cant move the image around if your zoomed in. It just zooms in on the center. and you almost need to be at 100% to see all the dead pix. Anyone know a way around this? oooo one forum said this but i havent tried it "Use the middle mouse button and drag the frame!"

Quick tip hjfilmspeed

push the wheel and, keeping pushed, drag your frame. You can zoom 100% and move the window.

jose_ugs

Damn! That plugin works like a charm! Nice find @p48l0, and a huge thank you to @hjfilmspeed too for breaking it down in a single paragraph!

jose_ugs

I am not sure if it's the new version of this add-on, but the previous seems to do a much better job. Maybe it's a combination of different clips and a bit of "luck" :) Who knows... Still a pretty good one though!

jose_ugs

Hey all, any experience with the new Davinci Resolve and the PixelPatcher 1.2? On my side it seems the combination of the latest Resolve(Lite) and PixelPatcher wont work at all. It'll playback a few frames with the tool ON, and then it'd hang... and hang the whole Resolve, not responding to any clicks, etc... Someone?

p48l0