5D3 install (not loading modules)

Started by Eikon, January 04, 2014, 01:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eikon

hey all.  first post.  succesfully got ML working on my 5D2 (not a huge accomplishment there).  i know this how to install thing has been asked to death, and believe me iv tried to sort this out on my own, but iv hit 2 odd problems which i cant seem to find help on.

iv been searching high and low on a good set of instructions on how to get ML working on my 5D3.  i read all over here, youtube, etc, and finally got it "working", yet i have no modules.  here is what i did after getting the 1.1.3 firmware on the camera (where did i screw up?)...

1. put the sd card in the camera, and formatted it

2. put the card in the reader on copied over the files from the Alpha3 build (iv been dowloading various things everywhere, and the .fir always seems to be the same one.  289 kb from 08/11/2012)

3.  downloaded a nightly build from Dec.16th.  replaced  the ML folder from Alpha 3 with this new download.  also copied over autoexex.bin

4.  ran eoscard, it seems happy, says bootable.

5. sd card back in camera, go to firmware, click update....

5a.  the first time i did this i got an error that says ...\fonts.dat RETRY.  screen goes black.  waited a min, pressed menu again and saw the firmware was loaded (says ...NEXT).  pressed trash, and all the menus come up but were unreadable dots.  put the card back in the reader, and after some digging around in all the stuff id downloaded i noticed there was no FONTS.DAT file in the ML folder id used from the nightly build.  so i moved FONTS.DAT from Alpha3 back to the card.

5b. card back in camera, firmware update, checking card %, black screen.  wait a min, press menu, firmware seems to have loaded (its says ...NEXT).  press trash, menus are there and i can read them this time (FONTS.DAT seems to have done its job).

6. quickly realize i only have about 4 or 5 menus, not the whole long list that im used to from 5d2 and that show up on all the how-to-install videos.  so i realize i have no modules and no way to load them, despite the fact they are in the ML folder on the SD card.

7. scratch head and come here.

i read many times that you need the ...bootflag.fir in order to get this to work on the 5D3.  i never ended up putting that on my card, though i did find it and download it.  im not sure if this is what is missing.  at this point im reluctant to try to many wierd combiations of things because ill either get lost in what things iv combined, or ill brick the camera somehow.

i found one other page that linked to a google docs download which is labelled "August 21 938047c".  this is where i found the bootflag.fir which i never used.  it has no other .fir files in that zip.  i would expect it to come with the normal ml-5d3-113.fir file, but it didnt.  but it has the ML folder with all the modules, etc.... so im unsure if that bootflag.fir is the thing that changes the cameras bootflag and THATS ALL IT DOES, or if its the actual ML firmware under a different name.

so im deffering to people who have done this before because iv obviously missed something.  can anyone tell me where iv gone wrong?

thanks.

Walter Schulz

Running EOScard *after* copying latest nightly build will overwrite those files with older ones. Run 3) after 4) ...

RenatoPhoto

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

And yes you need 5D3-113-bootflag.fir  to set the bootflag on the camera.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Eikon

thanks for the replies guys.  heres what iv done now.  please let me know if its ok before i go booting the camera.

1. format card on PC

2. format card on camera

3. card back into camera, run esocard (loads latest stable build, but no .fir file)

4. copy over files from nightly build Dec 16th (ML & autoexec)

5. copy over 5d3-113-bootflag.fir ( the version i found was from 03/01/2014 140kb.  dont remember where of the many many pages i went to i found it.  IM ALSO NOT SURE IF I NEED A SPECIFIC AUTOEXEC FILE FOR THIS .FIR... RIGHT NOW THE ONE IV LOADED TO THE SD IS THE ONE FROM THE NIGHTLY BUILD.  THIS .FIR IS NEWER)

6. also copied that FONTS.dat back to the nightly build ML folder for good measure based on my previous error.

so please OK me thus far if iv not made any bad combination of files.  i wont try this in the camera until i get an OK, just to be safe.

so the only downside with this bootflag thing is that it takes the camera 2 seconds to boot rather than .2 secs?  Im curious why i was able to run ML yesterday without this bootflag.fir... or was that an older version for 5d3 that was not capable of supporting the modules, hence the stripped down menus i saw?  clearly this bootflag.fir is being updated regularly since the version i downloaded seems to be from yesterday.

thanks again!

RenatoPhoto

I dont know where you got updated .fir file.  This has only been generated once a long time ago and does not ever get updated.  You only use it once to set the flag on the camera.

Here is the original link to this file:
http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir

You were able to run ML because you were using the Alpha version which does not require the camera to have the boot flag set.  Alpha does not have RAW capabilities.

Here is a simplified procedure that works.

1. Format card on PC and then on Camera.
2. Put card back on card reader (PC) and copy the fir file to the card root directory.
3. Put card back on Camera and go to the Firmaware update section (Canon Menu) do an update with the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir
4. Once the firmware update is finished you have set the bootflag on your camera.  Make sure you have a full battery, a dead battery during firmware update could be a disaster.
5. Put card back on the card reader
6. Use EOScard to make the card bootable, which is the main reason to use EOScard.exe
7. EOScard sometimes fails to get the latest ML files so go to http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
and get the latest ML files.  If EOScard put these files in my card I would erase them and replace them with the originals.

I only use EOScard to make my card bootable and use it only when I do a PC format of my card (almost never).  To stay up to date with the latest builds just go to  http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/  and get the latest files.  Make sure you replace all of the existing files in your card so I always delete the existing files before I put the new ones.  Do not mix new files with old ML files.  Always replace the complete set, except for some modules that can be added separately.

Remember that if you format your card on the PC then the card has to be run through EOScard to make it bootable.

The EOScard added function of downloading the latest compile is a perk but apparently it does not always work.

So you can still use EOScard to make your card bootable: Make sure EOS Develop box is selected, Bootdisk box is selected and simply click on Save.  If all goes well the card will be made bootable and a "write sucessfull" message will appear on the bottom of EOScard.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Eikon

i think what happened was when i downladed that bootflag.fir yesterday, it set the date to yesterdays date rather than the date it was created.  when i downloaded the one you linked to above it did the same thing.  so thats probably where the confusion arose.

another thing i dont quite get.... everyone always says make sure you have a full battery when updating firmware.  sure, no prob.  but does this bootflag version autoload the firmware whenever you turn on the camera?  i read on various threads that you need to reload the ML firmware everytime you power on/off, though im seeing now i can cycle the power and ML is there without a trip back to the update menu.  so is that what this version does....?.... get around that by having the bootflag switched and having the card be 'bootable'... so everytime you turn the camera on, as long as ML is on the card, it will load (no ML card, normal firmware)?  that is my understanding of it.  cause if you had to update the firmware thru the menu everytime, even though it only takes a few seconds, there would be a chance everytime you load ML that you're battery could die.  so, im guessing this is what this bootflag version does.

thanks for your step by step.  i just went thru it and it seems to have worked.  again, i dont know if its necessary but i added that FONTS.dat  to the data folder because it wasnt in the latest nightly build, and when i had just the firmware on the card for the 1st time for step 3, i got those same pixely unreadable letters.  so when i took the card back out for step 5 and on, i added it to make sure i was able to read the menus.

either way, we seem to be good to go now.  boot time seems unchanged as far as i can tell as well, so thats good.  now to wait for my komputerbay cards to arrive!

thanks again renato.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Eikon on January 04, 2014, 07:36:11 PM
another thing i dont quite get.... everyone always says make sure you have a full battery when updating firmware.  sure, no prob.  but does this bootflag version autoload the firmware whenever you turn on the camera?  i read on various threads that you need to reload the ML firmware everytime you power on/off, though im seeing now i can cycle the power and ML is there without a trip back to the update menu.  so is that what this version does....?.... get around that by having the bootflag switched and having the card be 'bootable'... so everytime you turn the camera on, as long as ML is on the card, it will load (no ML card, normal firmware)?  that is my understanding of it.  cause if you had to update the firmware thru the menu everytime, even though it only takes a few seconds, there would be a chance everytime you load ML that you're battery could die.  so, im guessing this is what this bootflag version does.

A firmware update is different than everyday boot.  To update the firmware you have the fir file on the card and do and update.  You will not need to do this again, this is a one time thing!

The ML software will load automatically as long as you have a card that has the bootflag set by EOScard, and you have the ML files on the card.  If you format the card on PC this card will not boot ML anymore.

Eikon