Wedding reel shot on 6d with TL (Moire advise please)

Started by DTSET123, January 03, 2014, 06:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTSET123

I used to pixel pick way too much until one day I finally realized that my clients dont even know what moire or macro blocking or any of that stuff is. Now, I don't even bother with ALL-I, I shoot on IPB to save hard drive room. Moire and artifacts are all over this reel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay2JlCy_Iz8 but guess what: it does not prevent me from getting paid! My 5Dmk3 sits on a shelf collecting dust since I installed TL on my 6D. I love shooting with my 6d, however, I wanted to ask if anyone has used the anti-aliasing filter VAF-6D. If so please share your thoughts and footage! It costs quite a bit and your input would help!
Thank you!

arturochu

Why do you prefer shooting with a 6d intead of a 5d mark iii?
Chu

DTSET123

Mainly because of:
zoom button
better in low light (and wedding receptions are always so dam dark!)
it is smaller
it is lighter

kgv5

Quote from: DTSET123 on January 03, 2014, 06:22:34 AM
I love shooting with my 6d, however, I wanted to ask if anyone has used the anti-aliasing filter VAF-6D. If so please share your thoughts and footage! It costs quite a bit and your input would help!
Thank you!

I had 6D for a couple of months and after realizing how bad aliasing is i have bought VAF-6D filter. There is my thread about it in the hardware section (also with some samples).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6577.msg65252#msg65252

VAF is astonishing, really, worth every penny. I switched to 5D3 only because raw recording abilities. So i have experience with 6D VAF and 5D3 and can say that movie image quality is the same or maybe even little bit sharper in 6D VAF. Aliasing and moire like in 5D3 -it is still there but barely visible and only from time to time. If you are planning to use 6D for a longer time go for it! You will not regret this. Image quality improvement is huge (YT videos dont show much of it due to compression). I will try to post some DNGs VAF/no VAF so you could see this for yourself. I highly recommend the VAF.

One issue is if you are also taking stills the VAF will block the mirror so requires putting it out and to do this carefully in the field you need at least one minute.

You could also ask noisyboy from this forum, he bought my VAF and is happy with it AFAIK.
Cheers
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

DTSET123

Yes, I'm thinking long term as it suits bit better for my crazy running and gunning style of shoot. Thank you for your response! I will give it a try. Have you sold your filter? Maybe I could buy of you?

kgv5

No, I sold it to noisyboy some time ago, just after selling 6D.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D