Poor man's RAW video workflow; $0, it Just Works

Started by debrecen, December 31, 2013, 02:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

debrecen

Hello all - Just wanted to volunteer a workflow that Just Works for me on Ubuntu 12.10, using all open source software, since I don't want to spend any money on (or illegally download) After Effects, Premier, Lightroom, etc. or use Windows.

Nothing new here, I just thought I would put it in one place since it wasn't there for me a few days ago. This is for those of us with Pink Dot cameras.

1. Use EyeFrame to convert RAW->DNGs (because it Just Works with Wine in Ubuntu)
2. Use PinkDotRemover on DNGs (it only wants to start in a terminal for me in 12.10; then it works)
3. Use Darktable to do a little color correction. Select all images and export as TIFF
4. Use Kdenlive; Import by Project>Add Slideshow clip. Select first TIFF from folder. Use frame duration, 1 frame.
5. Kdenlive> do your cutting and render to an mp4 or avi or whatever.

It works. But I still have some pink crap. If anyone knows an alternative way to use a better codec to export from Kdenlive, that would be great to know. The mlviewer app works great for me for playback, but prores encoding messed up, and I needed the PinkDotRemover for my 650d.

Best regards

tupp

Thanks!  Very helpful!

Let's hope Kdenlive continues developing.

Quote from: debrecen on December 31, 2013, 02:41:16 AM3. Use Darkroom to do a little color correction. Select all images and export as TIFF

Do you mean "darktable?"

Quote from: debrecen on December 31, 2013, 02:41:16 AMIt works. But I still have some pink crap.

What sort of "pink crap?"  Can you post a screen grab?

debrecen

Darktable! Yes, thanks, edited.

I think I don't have rights to post images here yet (?) -- I am uploading it to vimeo.

Now I am looking at whether there is noise introduced in the conversion to TIFFs, but there is somewhat of a pink haze around highlights in the original DNGs.

I am not (visually) clear on the distinctions between the terms aliasing, moire, artifacts, etc.

canoncan

Quote from: debrecen on December 31, 2013, 03:31:07 AM
Darktable! Yes, thanks, edited.

I think I don't have rights to post images here yet (?) -- I am uploading it to vimeo.

Now I am looking at whether there is noise introduced in the conversion to TIFFs, but there is somewhat of a pink haze around highlights in the original DNGs.

I am not (visually) clear on the distinctions between the terms aliasing, moire, artifacts, etc.

Thank you for posting this. What about Cinelerra or Kino? What is PinkDotRemover?

baldand

Quote from: debrecen on December 31, 2013, 02:41:16 AM
...The mlviewer app works great for me for playback, but prores encoding messed up, and I needed the PinkDotRemover for my 650d.

Hi. I'm the developer of MlRawViewer (and also an Ubuntu user).

Did you download a static build of ffmpeg from http://ffmpeg.org/download.html ? The Ubuntu supplied "ffmpeg" (actually avconv) isn't suitable.

Also, if you could upload a very short RAW or MLV from the 650d to somewhere, I could look at integrating the pink dot removal in the MlRawViewer processing.

debrecen

Quote from: baldand on December 31, 2013, 09:09:51 AM
I could look at integrating the pink dot removal in the MlRawViewer processing.
1. That, of course, would be super-useful
2. The only thing that could be better would be if your app was integrated as some kind of plugin in Kdenlive, so the whole process was in one application. Like import RAW, pinkdotremove, and encode as prores, in Kdenlive.
3. However, the "red dot removal" app has so far been inadequate for making useful footage. Mine still looks rubbish, in different ways in different shots. I am sure that continued interest in development will cure that over time.

Quote from: baldand on December 31, 2013, 09:09:51 AM
Did you download a static build of ffmpeg from http://ffmpeg.org/download.html ? The Ubuntu supplied "ffmpeg" (actually avconv) isn't suitable.

1. I'm sure the problem is on my side. I downloaded a static version of ffmpeg and put it in the folder with the mlrawviewer. The encoder now runs, but the .mov file shows large rectabgular blocks. Do I need to update Ubuntu's ffmpeg from the static file somehow? How so?

QuoteAlso, if you could upload a very short RAW or MLV from the 650d to somewhere
2. I am uploading 15 sec a) RAW video file b) .mov file processed by your encoder and c) still shot of the blocky look in my build, for your development purposes.
3. I will PM you a dropbox link when it's done uploading.

4. Happy New Year!

debrecen

Quote from: canoncan on December 31, 2013, 07:28:13 AM
Thank you for posting this. What about Cinelerra or Kino? What is PinkDotRemover?
I haven't looked at Cinelerra / Kino in a while. I have found kdenlive to be the only useful Linux editor for me, last time I looked into it. The process of importing stills as a sequence into a video file is the same as with After Effects, so I thought I would mention that. In the spirit of 100% open-source.

PinkDotRemover is necessary for the t4i/650d and some other (?) Canons, although the term understates the severity of the problem.

jordancolburn

Quote from: debrecen on December 31, 2013, 05:52:25 PM
I haven't looked at Cinelerra / Kino in a while. I have found kdenlive to be the only useful Linux editor for me, last time I looked into it. The process of importing stills as a sequence into a video file is the same as with After Effects, so I thought I would mention that. In the spirit of 100% open-source.

PinkDotRemover is necessary for the t4i/650d and some other (?) Canons, although the term understates the severity of the problem.
EOSM as well, although the locations of the dots differs depending on the raw crop.  Incorporating the remover into one of the raw converters would be very very useful for people with these cameras.

lionelp

Like it. Thank you, very helpful! Thanks for posting! :)
Canon 60D, 50D | Lenses: Nikkor : 18-55 , 3.5 | 50, 1.8 | 24, 2.8 | 28,2.8 | 35, 2.8 |Helios 58 | A few other Nikon manual zooms and prime lenses|
Komputerbay 1000x, Sandisk 95 MB/ s

wichelstowe50D

Damn! Wish I'd seen your post before I ditched my Ubuntu machine in favour of a Windows 8 machine!

I'm relatively new to shooting video, let alone RAW video. However, I have made good inroads so far, and my workflow does seem quite simple compared to others I have seen on here, not sure if I'm missing a trick here... but all I do so far is:

1 RAWaniser to extract RAW to DNG
2 Davinci Resolve Lite to colour grade and export to TIFF
3 Edit in Adobe Premiere Elements 12

That's it! Seems almost too simple... am I missing some vital steps?!