Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.p

140mb/s is 140/8 = 17.5mB/s. Raw video requires a lot of speed.

mk11174

Can anyone share there EOS-M ROM1.bin with me, I would like to study it to compare with 700D port in hopes to help port it further as the EOS-M gets ported more?
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

belmore

I played around with the 12/31 build for a while. While continuous raw recording at 720p worked pretty consistently in TL, with this build, I couldn't get a raw recording more than a few seconds.

RavingRover

Quote from: nick.p on January 04, 2014, 07:29:13 AM
140mb/s is 140/8 = 17.5mB/s. Raw video requires a lot of speed.

Its compressed video, maybe slowed down by ACTUAL processing - who would imagine?

So what card?  M only has a 40mBps SD writer, my card is a 60mBps card, so How much is required ? Plz answer the question, not show math skills !! ;)

nick.p

Quote from: RavingRover on January 05, 2014, 04:51:55 AM
Its compressed video, maybe slowed down by ACTUAL processing - who would imagine?

So what card?  M only has a 40mBps SD writer, my card is a 60mBps card, so How much is required ? Plz answer the question, not show math skills !! ;)

You only need a 45 or 60 mB/s card because as you stated the writer is only capable of 40mB/s.

On the other hand that h264 video was probably in megabits not megabytes and hence it was 17.5 megabytes per second.

RavingRover

Quote from: belmore on January 04, 2014, 10:24:39 PM
I played around with the 12/31 build for a while. While continuous raw recording at 720p worked pretty consistently in TL, with this build, I couldn't get a raw recording more than a few seconds.

So you think maybe not all the 'fixes' in the last TL has been migrated into ML builds?

What card did you use for 720p in TL?

TIA!

belmore

QuoteWhat card did you use for 720p in TL?

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s

To be more specific, I could get 720p in the TL build only in crop mode with FPS Override set to 24FPS. If I enabled Magic Focus, even in TL, I had issues (not that it matters, since Magic Focus doesn't work right in crop mode anyway). Focus Peaking enabled didn't seem to pose any problems.

Thanks for the great work!

RavingRover

I can shoot Raw ONLY? when using the 12/31 TL !!

I was able to get Raw in both crop and non crop modes !  1280x434 non, 1280x720 crop modes !!
(must put Canon video in 2kHD 24fps mode for crop to work BTW!)

So I believe NO TL or ML builds beyond the 2013/12/31 TL build works, I have tried a couple newer ML as well as older TL builds !!

Note: non crop is writing at about 27 MB/s, whereas crop is writing at about 35 MB/s !  (this means likely the fastest/highest resolution possible for M SD writer !!)  Sad!  :-[

This is with a Sandisk Extreme Plus UHS-I 32gb card - 60/80 MB/s.

So I A$$ume this means not ALL fixes/etc are in the ML stream yet or those for video at least !

Thanks for the help!

PS: Now the question is, is it worth the huge trouble processing raw 720p when the world wants 2kHD or even 4kHD !?  Especially considering the ability to get high bit rate compressed H.264, would anyone notice the diff for a huge amount of situations? Maybe only for high ISO situs?

RavingRover

Quote from: nick.p on January 05, 2014, 04:55:39 AM
You only need a 45 or 60 mB/s card because as you stated the writer is only capable of 40mB/s.

On the other hand that h264 video was probably in megabits not megabytes and hence it was 17.5 megabytes per second.

Yep, thats why I put the 'mb' in lower case! Me knows the diff!! Me use to be an Electrical Engineer. Me are used to bits/nibbles/bytes/words/double words/etc. Me be cognizant of the diff. Me prefers 'MB or mb' rather than 'mB or mb', for the emphasis, as well that is what is shown on ML screens - 'MB/s'.

The statement of compressed video is that it will NEVER likely be able to be written at the speed of raw or M SD writer, as the H.264 encoding does take time and the encoder chip is likely processing limited, or I would see a higher bps, wouldn't I?

Also, I can set CBR to higher than 2.9x (4x is where I quit) with my card, just the output NEVER gets higher than about 140mb/s (saw peaks of 150+mb/s), so VERY likely processor/encoder/bus speed limited.

Also, the ultimate speed of compressed seems to a degree dependent on ISO, maybe - limited use/testing of this.

Thanks anyhow.

PS: It is going to be interesting when UHS-II (240MB/s writes) SD writers are in cams, and also when H.265 encoders are in cams, then the Digic engines (dual/triple Digics?) will have some REAL work to do & will be so capable !! 

BTW, FYI: Canon works (has work done by?) with Texas Instruments (TI) on their Digic processors - Nikon has FujiFilm do their h/w work & firmware work!

gary2013

I am now trying the new ML, Jan 5, for the M 2.02 and it makes the shutterbug come back on my cam. When I use any of the TL versions, I do not have the shutterbug (after I do my reformat workaround that I explained a few times so far on here).

RavingRover

Quote from: gary2013 on January 06, 2014, 03:44:15 AM
I am now trying the new ML, Jan 5, for the M 2.02 and it makes the shutterbug come back on my cam. When I use any of the TL versions, I do not have the shutterbug (after I do my reformat workaround that I explained a few times so far on here).

IIRC, the person porting TL to ML was mostly concerned with 'picture taking' changes to TL, NOT video. So this is of importance to him, I think !!  I am sure it is not easy getting all the code deltas correct, assuming his tools are not so great, shame there is not a 'versioning' code repository to keep each code 'effort/changes' independent by 1% & others.

I do get the shutterbug occasionally, but I seem to get out of it via changing modes (this may be a general freeze problem not the shutterbug), but another one (shutterbug I believe - less often), I have to take out battery. Very annoying as there is NO prediction when this can occur.

Good Luck.

jordancolburn

Quote from: RavingRover on January 05, 2014, 11:24:04 PM
PS: Now the question is, is it worth the huge trouble processing raw 720p when the world wants 2kHD or even 4kHD !?  Especially considering the ability to get high bit rate compressed H.264, would anyone notice the diff for a huge amount of situations? Maybe only for high ISO situs?
Not really.  720 will still look good as most people viewing your work (if it is meant for web) won't even bother to put it in fullscreen on their tiny laptop monitors.  I've put more than a few hours into trying to develop a raw workflow to even do a simple 1-2 minute project shooting around town, and the results of my simple comparison tests don't show enough difference to warrant all the extra effort.  After the basic stability/usability features get sorted, there is no reason not to push the camera to its limit, but for me, the EOSM is a great tiny camera that I can keep on me to get good video with minimal fuss, and stock h264 really is good enough for most simple doc pickup shots (again, for web delivery).  If  anyone really needs raw on the cheap and it's non-negotioable, they should pick up one of the BMD cameras.

kalimerox

Hi there, I m new in this forum and heard about magic lantern on the chaos communication congress.. seems like a fantastic project for indie filmmakers like me ;)
#i have one question: for a visual project i need a camera with a clean hdmi output, must not be full HD resolution, but clean in the sense of no overlays, shutterspeed , battery infos etc.. is this possible with the Canon eos m and the magic lantern (nightly builds.)?? Thanks :)

a1ex

In theory yes (it's in the user guide and enabled here). In practice, try it and let us know if/how it works.

kalimerox

alright, thanks! this will take a while, i still need to buy one.. once i know I ll share...

jordancolburn

Quote from: RavingRover on January 06, 2014, 07:26:52 AM
IIRC, the person porting TL to ML was mostly concerned with 'picture taking' changes to TL, NOT video. So this is of importance to him, I think !!  I am sure it is not easy getting all the code deltas correct, assuming his tools are not so great, shame there is not a 'versioning' code repository to keep each code 'effort/changes' independent by 1% & others.
Acutally, I'm mainly a video guy, so smooth operation of things like zebras, rec picstyle, and basic audio meters are my main concern.  I do use the eosm for photos a lot too, but I haven't experienced the shuterbug, if someone can give me steps to recreate it, I can try to find a fix.

After porting, it's been working well enough for me to use for small family photos and videos, but haven't used it on a real project yet.  I've been pretty busy this past week, but my short list of bugs to look at next:
-shutter speed display in menu
-canon menus overlaying ML menu bugs
-bug I'm experiencing with it hanging every few startups

gary2013

Quote from: jordancolburn on January 13, 2014, 03:02:35 AM
Acutally, I'm mainly a video guy, so smooth operation of things like zebras, rec picstyle, and basic audio meters are my main concern.  I do use the eosm for photos a lot too, but I haven't experienced the shuterbug, if someone can give me steps to recreate it, I can try to find a fix.

After porting, it's been working well enough for me to use for small family photos and videos, but haven't used it on a real project yet.  I've been pretty busy this past week, but my short list of bugs to look at next:
-shutter speed display in menu
-canon menus overlaying ML menu bugs
-bug I'm experiencing with it hanging every few startups
The shutterbug appears when you use the EFM 18-55 lens oin the M with ML. After you turn on the camera in Movie mode, try to take a pic pushing the shutter button and nothing happens. Three workarounds- power off and on real quick before the red led flashes, untwist the lens slightly and then twist back on and reformat using the Canon menu choosing to KEEP the ML files intact and then always having a 4gb record cycle instead of 6gb using exfat. all three work for me. But the shutterbug only relates to The M with the EFM lenses. And some people have different experiences with it, but very similar.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: kalimerox on January 12, 2014, 06:47:55 PM
alright, thanks! this will take a while, i still need to buy one.. once i know I ll share...
I am selling my M system if you want to buy one. I never used it out my my house, so still very brand new condition. I bought it all last mid July.

jordancolburn

Quote from: gary2013 on January 13, 2014, 03:20:51 AM
The shutterbug appears when you use the EFM 18-55 lens oin the M with ML. After you turn on the camera in Movie mode, try to take a pic pushing the shutter button and nothing happens. Three workarounds- power off and on real quick before the red led flashes, untwist the lens slightly and then twist back on and reformat using the Canon menu choosing to KEEP the ML files intact and then always having a 4gb record cycle instead of 6gb using exfat. all three work for me. But the shutterbug only relates to The M with the EFM lenses. And some people have different experiences with it, but very similar.

Gary
Strange, I have the 22 EFM and haven't seen it.  Can anybody confirm this happens with the 22 or 11-whatever wide angle lens too?

cpreston

I saw it once on my 18-55 but not on the 22 or the 11-22.  Of course, that doesn't prove that it doesn't happen.

My primary hope is that there is a way to implement magic zoom with touch screen on this camera.  Is that a possibility?

a1ex

jordancolburn

Thanks, that chart is really helpful.

atomas72

Where is build version for Eos? It's disappeared!!

nanomad

We are looking for volunteers to do testing of the ML and TL ports for the EOSM to see what's needed to put it on track.

Send me a PM if you are willing to cooperate. No development skills needed, just some free time to do boring tests
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5