Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

You can use another camera or a smartphone and you can use ML's screenshot feature: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#screenshot_-_10_s

kolodiazniy

Thanks for your support!
Native screenshot function is much more usable.

Danne

Customized to work optimal for each preset in this specific ml build.

kolodiazniy

You mean another builds hasn't this item?

Walter Schulz

Depends on build.
See lua_fix for EOS M:

Please use https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.msg240684;topicseen#msg240684 for issues with Danne's crop_rec_4k build.

kolodiazniy

Can someone explain me what is "lua"?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (drop down list) -> Experiments.

In short:
lua_fix build is recommended build for general purpose shooters not aiming at highest resolutions/data rates for raw/MLV recording.

And Lua iitself is a programming language implemented in ML and used to run scripts. See https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14828.0

kolodiazniy

What kind of "scripts"?

kolodiazniy

Is there some way to remove unusable presets?

lightspeed

iso 10

is it possible to get a lower iso?

this way we don't need a nd filter.

optikus

Hello,

I'm a little bit worried: what is the last working built for M-Firmware 2.0.3 and where to find it?

Reason:

I use "M" with firmware 2.0.3 - suddenly focus peaking does not work anymore, no dots appear. Reset on all settings proceeded. Restarted camera. No positive effects. Use standard settings. What is to do? Perhaps new ML-version?

Kind regards
Joerg

Walter Schulz

More likely a misconfiguration. Access Prefs tab -> Config options/files -> Restore ML defaults
Restart and retry.

optikus

ok,

resetted, activated focus peaking (no other mod's), nothing. Did the same with my 50D - works perfectly.

Version is Nightly.2017.Jan13.EOSM203.

Joerg

Walter Schulz

Retry with lua_fix build from experimental build page.

optikus

:-[ there are no further builts for M 2.0.3 ... I do not unterstand why it worked in the past and now does not. With no changes.

Some spooky behaviour came up: In the ML - menu suddenly the exposure-correction bar appears for some seconds (+/- setting), disappears and comes back, covering the ML menu. Think I remove and make a new SD - then try again. If it will not work again - downgrade to 2.0.2 and use Version for 2.0.2 which is newer, 2.0.3 seems to be a dead end.

optikus

For users with similar problem: FIX

1. deinstall ML from camera -> process via Canon firmware-update, waiting, ML removes itself, resets bootflag;
2. change nothing - start the camera, have a look if everything works as it should. Then:
3. start firmware update again, ML installs again.

fine. As it seems this was a camera-internal problem or a problem with the sd-card. I changed the card after steps 1-3 to a new one. Perhaps it has been damaged by age or some other influence (reading out outside the camera or other)

So everything is fine.  8)

tweak

Quote from: lightspeed on March 20, 2022, 01:42:44 AM
For rolling shutter.

would it be possible to have the sensor read sideways? this way there would be rolling shutter up and down but not side to side.

If you want to eliminate Rolling shutter artefacts you could take your footage into "Gyroflow" (free stabilisation software) and put in the exact rolling shutter values (can be found in FPS override tab) and it can fix rolling shutter effect. You will also need some kind of gyrologger to make this work, but if it's what you really need it does work (I've done it myself).

Janke

Long time, no chat, friends!

Today I experimented a little with a "Kingston Canvas Select Plus" 32 GB HC1 card in the EOS M, and was very surprised - it worked well at 2 x normal data rate, i.e. around 86 Mbps.  It looked like the camera buffer never exceeded 30% during short takes (didn't shoot any long ones), so would this be safe to use, or would it overheat camera and/or card?

At 2.4 x rate, slightly over 100 Mbps, the buffer filled up quite fast, and recording stopped after less than 10 seconds.  But I wonder - is the EOS M even supposed to work at such speeds?  :o

I also tried lower bit rates, and found that even 0.4 or 0.5 gives enough quality for recordings that will be uploaded to YouTube - which will degrade the image regardless of original quality...

BTW: Did I ever post a link to a 30-minute documentary I shot with two EOS M cameras for Finnish TV? The subject is hot air ballooning - can I put the YT link here if there is any interest?  ;)

Walter Schulz

The build you are using is?
Are you talking about H.264/MOV recording?
Mbps may be misleading. Please use MByte/s or MBit/s.

Native write speed for EOS M is around 41 MByte/s in benchmark and around 38 MByte/s for recording.
Overclocked modes can do around 80 MByte/s recording with compatible cards. Until now we only have reports about Kingston Canvas being incompatible.

Subforum for linking videos: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=19.0

Janke

I'm using the "latest build 2018-07-02" for the EOS M - are there any newer? If so, I haven't found them, despite searching...

Yes, I'm recording H.264/MOV, and I meant Mbit/s - that's what QuickTime reports when I look at the files.

QT reports a bitrate for "default" MOV video around 45 Mbit/s - that's what has confused me, since "native speed", as you say, is 41 MByte/s - those numbers are too close for comfort, even though one is 8x the other....  :-\

But 2x normal bitrate means only about 11 MBytes/s - well within both camera and card specs.

"Kingston Canvas being incompatible" - just with overclocking, I assume?

I've never gone into RAW (would hamper my workflow too much), but I use ML for the 3x zoom feature, enabling me to use a plethora of C-mount lenses I have, including a Canon 7.5 - 97.5 mm, 13 x zoom...  :D

loknar

Hi,
two years ago, i thought that limit of my EOS M have been reached. Today I see how wrong i was  :o
Unfortunately, my Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB 95MB/s doesn't work at 240 MHz, so I've been scanning forum for the list of compatible cards, but it seemed like mixed bag even with newer Extreme Pro cards (i've seen theBilalFakhouri's thread)and now i see this
Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 05, 2023, 10:52:08 AM
Native write speed for EOS M is around 41 MByte/s in benchmark and around 38 MByte/s for recording.
Overclocked modes can do around 80 MByte/s recording with compatible cards. Until now we only have reports about Kingston Canvas being incompatible.
did i missed some post/thread with compatible/tested cards? Or every card with UHS-1 90MB/s write speed should work?

Danne

It can work. Enter the submenu of where you select Mhz and choose the alternate patch routine.

loknar

Sorry, i din't made myself very clear.
My old card still works, 38 MB/s default, 58 MB/s at 160 MHz, anything higher drops to 20 MB/s.
So my question would be, what card should i buy to join the party and make it work at 240 MHz?

Danne

Yes but could work with 240 if patched with the other routine.